The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #1,052 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by steven_1026 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I take the earcups off?

If you mean the pads... you just gently pull them out of their track - they sit in a metal track, and are retained by pressure.

If you mean the driver/elements (the housing containing the drivers) - I think they just unsnap from the gimble suspension, which extends from the headband, at the two points where they're fastened. Though, I've never removed them. I think there's a pictorial illustration in one of the Senn threads describing mods to Senns (likely the HD580s or HD600s) - you may want to do a search for it, or try a Google Search. You could also email / call Sennheiser for the instructions - I'm sure they'd tell you.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #1,053 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW... How is metal with the HD580 on a scale of 1-10? 1 being absolutely not recommended... 5 being tolerable... 10 being totally recommended?

I would say an 8-9 on some nights I felt like it would be a 10. I had some good times listening to Alice In Chains on my HD580.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,055 of 2,080
Are the hd580 still available anywhere for purchase? I can't find any.

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #1,056 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the hd580 still available anywhere for purchase? I can't find any.

No, sadly they are discontinued but sometimes show up on eBay and the FS forum. BTW according to Sennheiser's website the HD580 and HD600's driver is the same part, so they should sound practically the same.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,060 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone where I can get the HD600 grill? Is it only for looks or does it affect SQ?

Yes, the part is not listed on Sennheiser USA's website but calling a speaking with a sales rep is how to get them.

I personally didn't notice any change in sound either. But they really do make the 580's a lot nicer looking. One thing about the metal mesh grilles though: They are easily bent and you should avoid pushing in the middle when installing. Just give gentle pressure around the edges until they are in place.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #1,061 of 2,080
Hi,

Long time browser, first time poster. This is a great site, by the way!

I got the HD580's from ebay after reading the glowing appraisals both here and elsewhere. They're a staggering improvement over the PX100's I was using before, and I'm looking to pick up a Little Dot MKIII amp when funds permit, along with a DAC a little further down the line. (Phew, this is turning out to be an expensive hobby...)

I'd like to do the popular HD600 grill mod, but as I'm in the UK the Sennheiser authorised dealers seem to be charging pretty astronomical prices - £30 (about $50) per grill! Are there any other options for picking them up more cheaply?

Cheers!

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #1,062 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winston Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Long time browser, first time poster. This is a great site, by the way!

I got the HD580's from ebay after reading the glowing appraisals both here and elsewhere. They're a staggering improvement over the PX100's I was using before, and I'm looking to pick up a Little Dot MKIII amp when funds permit, along with a DAC a little further down the line. (Phew, this is turning out to be an expensive hobby...)

I'd like to do the popular HD600 grill mod, but as I'm in the UK the Sennheiser authorised dealers seem to be charging pretty astronomical prices - £30 (about $50) per grill! Are there any other options for picking them up more cheaply?

Cheers!

Welcome to Head-Fi!! congrats on your purchase. There is a guy that sells the 600 grilles on eBay, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks. I also saw a set on the FS forum here (cables, speakers, tweaks, accessories) but they sold quickly. Since these are a purely cosmetic mod, I'd not sweat it too much. $50 US/grille is outrageous, I'd say hell no to that too.

Happy listening!

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #1,063 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winston Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are available in Germany for 7.90 Euro each plus shipping (5.95 per order) but unfortunately they only ship within Germany.

92815 Muschelring mit Lochblech

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #1,064 of 2,080
Can anyone tell me how hard driving these is. I know the hd600 are picky about their amp so I'm wondering if these are a bit easier.
I found a pair of used for sale at 75$ by a trustworthy guy, but I got a few questions.
Can the drivers be changed like with the hd25? And would a nuforce Icon / fiio e7 be enough to drive them? I'm getting one of there two to make a decent on the go audio setup when I'm using my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back