The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #856 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to the club. I ordered a pair of 580s a couple of days ago from Brian at ProAudioMart, who was very nice to deal with. Highly recommended. I have a feeling I got one of the last ones he had though, because he doesn't have that listing on ebay anymore. Can't wait to hear a pair that I actually own.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think he might still have a few left. I emailed him and got one for $169 shipped
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #859 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by circuithero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he might still have a few left. I emailed him and got one for $169 shipped
biggrin.gif

Lucky! I payed $169+ shipping.
frown.gif

I'll survive. Hope you enjoy them!

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #860 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky! I payed $169+ shipping.
frown.gif

I'll survive. Hope you enjoy them!

ME TOO

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #862 of 2,080
Hi, I'm also new to the club, I bought a pair of HD580 along with a HD6500 cable, A47 amp, LOD, 6feet SPC mini-mini. That's a good $300 spend to introduce myself into the world of audio.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #863 of 2,080
I just got my HD580s!!!! I've been using using the Denon
D2000's for the past week and to be honest I wasn't looking forward to the 580's...But I'm happy to report that even unamped these sound superb and I am amazed. I haven't really listened to each of them enough to compare but I'm really happy with my second headphone purchase.

Can anyone reccomend an amp for these 2 headphones under 300? Preferably non tube...

So far, I've found the CORDA ARIETTA to be a possibility?

also jw do they sell fake 580's? Just making sure, the auction that i won looked shady...he said they were new but I could tell he took him out once
Headphones HD 580 Sennheiser - eBay (item 130203662130 end time Mar-12-08 17:54:01 PDT)

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #864 of 2,080
What is the 600 screens/650 cable mod supposed to do?

I'm of the camp that thinks the need for an amp is over stated a bit. I go from the headphone jack of my Mac to a Headroom Airhead to the headphone jack of my digital receiver (which has lots of clean, clean power). Yes, the 580s get better with every turn; they benefit from more power, especially in the bass. But it's not night and day; it's pretty subtle. And they sound pretty good straight out of the Mac. I also wonder about tubes. The 580s are so warm and smooth, even when paired with the stark neutrality of my digital amp, I have to wonder if tubes are really a great match. But I haven't heard it. The right tube amp might be transcendent. Great cans, though. I haven't heard the 600s or 650s. They must be awe-inspiring.

My 580s have already been through two sets of ear pads, one headband pad. They are loved.

Tim

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #865 of 2,080
The 600 grills are basically for looks but some people hear a difference. The 650 cable supposedly sounds better but I won't know till I get mines. I do know the cable is alot beefier then the stock cable though.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #866 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my HD580s!!!! I've been using using the Denon
D2000's for the past week and to be honest I wasn't looking forward to the 580's...But I'm happy to report that even unamped these sound superb and I am amazed. I haven't really listened to each of them enough to compare but I'm really happy with my second headphone purchase.

Can anyone reccomend an amp for these 2 headphones under 300? Preferably non tube...

So far, I've found the CORDA ARIETTA to be a possibility?

also jw do they sell fake 580's? Just making sure, the auction that i won looked shady...he said they were new but I could tell he took him out once
Headphones HD 580 Sennheiser - eBay (item 130203662130 end time Mar-12-08 17:54:01 PDT)

Go vibe petite and iBasso D2 are both good amps for about 200 bucks that are good with the HD580, I am sure there are many more.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #869 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a pair of 580s coming in from fellow head-fier Orkney and was wondering if this was indeed the cable to get from Sennheiser.
Sennheiser USA - H-92885 - Product Details
or is it the more expensive one?
Sennheiser USA - H-81435 - Product Details

Also, where exactly is the ordering info for the 600 grills?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

The more expensive one looks like an HD580 replacement cable.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #870 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the 600 screens/650 cable mod supposed to do?

I'm of the camp that thinks the need for an amp is over stated a bit. I go from the headphone jack of my Mac to a Headroom Airhead to the headphone jack of my digital receiver (which has lots of clean, clean power). Yes, the 580s get better with every turn; they benefit from more power, especially in the bass. But it's not night and day; it's pretty subtle. And they sound pretty good straight out of the Mac. I also wonder about tubes. The 580s are so warm and smooth, even when paired with the stark neutrality of my digital amp, I have to wonder if tubes are really a great match. But I haven't heard it. The right tube amp might be transcendent. Great cans, though. I haven't heard the 600s or 650s. They must be awe-inspiring.

My 580s have already been through two sets of ear pads, one headband pad. They are loved.

Tim

I agree. The HD580s don't need an external amp, but they do benefit from a good amp. I just got a Gilmore lite and it does sound significantly better but not in profound ways. I have the same doubts about tube amps for the 580s - seems like they would make dark phones darker. I've read that the Gilmore, a somewhat bright amp, is suppose to be good with Grados. Go figure.

Many have said that the screen and cable mods each improve the sound. I didn't notice any difference. Maybe I'm just a bit obtuse. The 650 cable is much sturdier then the 580 stock and the 600 grills look really cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back