The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #871 of 2,089
Great. Thanks for the info.

The only amp I'll have for them is a battery powered Grado RA-1
biggrin.gif
I wonder how that will work out (that's if I get back on time from repairs).

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #872 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on you new phones, here are the part numbers you want hd600 grill part # 092815 hd650 cable # 92885. Enjoy....

This is correct. You have to call Sennhieser to get the grills. The phone number should be on the Sennheiser USA site. Ask for two grills, they are not sold in pairs. You may need to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter (92595). A couple of bucks and very nice.

I found the number - (860) 434-9190.

Congrats on your new phones! You'll love them.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #873 of 2,089
Well, I'm going to sell my HD580's.

It's not that I don't like them, just that I don't think they suit the music I listen to. I want something more like my ER6i's which i prefer in some circumstances.

Only problem is, I lost one of the foams covering the drivers.

Does anyone know if replacement foam can be ordered, or what type of foam I should get to replace it? I have found another oval of foam from some other headphones, but while i cannot tell the difference in sound between it and the stock foam, it looks different and may put down the resale value...

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #875 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find that they do not fit all kinds of music (or, recordings, maybe). What are u going to get instead, and for what music?

Probably the Ultrasone HFI-780. I am still looking however.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #877 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what are they doing that the 580 dont do?

I find my HD580's too laid back. I want something more forward with energy, kinda like grado's but without the un natural brightness.

At the moment, AD700 or AD900 are looking very very appealing also.

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #878 of 2,089
Quote:

I find my HD580's too laid back. I want something more forward with energy, kinda like grado's but without the un natural brightness.

are you sure it's not because of the rest of stuff you use?

I found HD580 bright, not too laid back, of course it's not Gradoish kind of sound but still close, with good proportion of distance, soundstage, quality and quantity of bass, treble and mids, great cans for the money.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #879 of 2,089
I would definitely not consider the 580s bright. Compared with other headphones I've heard, the 580s are really true to the music. They just show how the music was actually recorded. I do believe that we get the "laid-back-ness" of Senns in exchange for the wonderful soundstage they provide. Frasey, if you are still planning to change headphones be sure to audition them so you can find the perfect sound with your music. Good luck

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #880 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you sure it's not because of the rest of stuff you use?

I found HD580 bright, not too laid back, of course it's not Gradoish kind of sound but still close, with good proportion of distance, soundstage, quality and quantity of bass, treble and mids, great cans for the money.

580s bright!?
blink.gif
Compared to what?

I doubt that his other gear is the issue, its not going to change the basic character of the HP's.

Frasey: If finances allow, you may want to keep the 580s, because they are getting increasingly hard to find and a lot of people (well, at least a few) end up returning to the 580s after selling them.

Have you considered DT 880s?

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #881 of 2,089
Quote:

I would definitely not consider the 580s bright.

Quote:

580s bright!?
blink.gif
Compared to what?

well... e.g. in comparison to HD595 so frequently called 'bright'
From my experience I can only say - HD580s are dark with weak sources and then roll off mids.
general opinion in Europe is that HD580s are analytical , detailed and bright. Of course not as bright as Grados and Bayerdynamics but still bright.

Quote:

I do believe that we get the "laid-back-ness" of Senns in exchange for the wonderful soundstage they provide.

I can not agree. IMHO HD580 provides decent soundstage but nothing special, what can be particularly easy to perceived while listening to high models of Bayerdynamics or AKGs.

Of course if we take into account Grados like sr60,80 or even sr325i we can tell soundstage, airness of HD580 is great and sound is laid-back. Of course it depends on what is our reference.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #882 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
580s bright!?
blink.gif
Compared to what?

I doubt that his other gear is the issue, its not going to change the basic character of the HP's.

Frasey: If finances allow, you may want to keep the 580s, because they are getting increasingly hard to find and a lot of people (well, at least a few) end up returning to the 580s after selling them.

Have you considered DT 880s?

Yeah... I could. But finances don't really allow. And I find that when I have more than one set of cans, I never end up using both.

I have considered them, but I am thinking about going minimalist and that means selling my amps as well. DT880's need an amp don't they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely not consider the 580s bright. Compared with other headphones I've heard, the 580s are really true to the music. They just show how the music was actually recorded. I do believe that we get the "laid-back-ness" of Senns in exchange for the wonderful soundstage they provide. Frasey, if you are still planning to change headphones be sure to audition them so you can find the perfect sound with your music. Good luck

Yep. Comparing my hd580's to my ms1's when I had them showed how un-natural grado's sound. Everything was really bright and light, compared to the senns which were more 'thick' and warm.

As I read more about the AD700/900, they seem more like the perfect mix to me. They have a huge soundstage, but still have lots of energy and slightly forward mids. They sound like the perfect choice.

Too bad AT's aren't available in my city. I don't think I'd be able to audition.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #883 of 2,089
Quote:

DT880's need an amp don't they?

Sorry, I don't know. Every thing I've read about the Audio Tecnicas you mentioned has been good for what its worth. You might do a "what should I buy?" specifying what music you like and how you feel the 580s fall short.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #884 of 2,089
The HD580s make my music sound live (I can come back from a classical concert and be right at home with my HD580s), and that's all I care about
smily_headphones1.gif
They can sound "bright" if you are a basshead and aren't used to getting luscious, clear, and spicy highs.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #885 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I don't know. Every thing I've read about the Audio Tecnicas you mentioned has been good for what its worth. You might do a "what should I buy?" specifying what music you like and how you feel the 580s fall short.

I did a couple of them. One was asking for something that sounded like grado's but not so bright, and one asked for full size cans that sound like my ER6i's which I love.

I'd like to be able to go unamped. It used to be to listen to music all I had to do was plug in headphones, select music, push play. Now it's turn on dac, switch dac to the coaxial, set digital out only on pc, turn on amp, wait 15 minutes for tubes to warm up, select music, push play. By then, I don't feel like listening to music any more.

H120 > AD700's would be better IMO. DT880's do need an amp so I don' think I'll be getting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back