The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #841 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got to compare my 580s to a pair of 650s. I must say I was first impressed by the deep bass of the 650s, and then I thought I prefer the less bassy sound of the 580s. To me the bass in the 580s is just right.

Yes, I too think the bass on the HD580s is perfect. I used to be a basshead, and it took me some time to get used to less bass, but now, music sounds fresher and more balanced with less bass.

I love my HD580s so much. I use them with Audigy 2ZS with LT1469 opamps, and they sound great. The problem is that they are completely open and would bug my roommates if I listened to them at any normal volume. If I were alone, I would listen to my HD580s 24/7. Ahhh, they are so great for classical music, especially with horns!

I also took off the foam next to the earpad, so my drivers are exposed now. I feel like you get more of a live experience without the foam.

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #843 of 2,089
Quote:

Ahhh, they are so great for classical music, especially with horns!

Absolutely! I read a review a while back that said that if you didn't like classical music you probably would after listening to it with the 580's. I look for music featuring brass to listen to on the 580's.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #844 of 2,089
Ok, you guys convinced me...I stopped eating out and I upped my hours at work...my wallet will be dry by the beginning of next month

So far I think I'm going to go with the Little Dot MKIII and either the 595 or 580...most likely the 580...

so my setup would go from:
sb audigy 2 zs -> zalman 5.1 headphones lol
to
sb audigy 2 zs -> little dot mkIII -> 595 or 580

How is that setup? Should I be putting my money elsewhere?
Also, since these headphones are open, I wouldn't really be able to use them at library's huh? do they really leak? I was thinking about getting the d1000's too... aaaggghh my wallet

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #845 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, you guys convinced me...I stopped eating out and I upped my hours at work...my wallet will be dry by the beginning of next month

So far I think I'm going to go with the Little Dot MKIII and either the 595 or 580...most likely the 580...

so my setup would go from:
sb audigy 2 zs -> zalman 5.1 headphones lol
to

Also, since these headphones are open, I wouldn't really be able to use them at library's huh? do they really leak? I was thinking about getting the d1000's too... aaaggghh my wallet

This is going to hurt to say, because I have a pair of HD595's for sell right now on the FS forum, but if you are going to buy an amp there is no doubt that you should buy the HD580's.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #846 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That would be a very enviable setup. Many really like the Little dots with the 580s. I agree with kejar31 that with an amp the 580 is the way to go. I would be reluctant to use them in a library though. I would do more research on the D1000s. The reviews on them are mixed. You might consider inexpensive iems to hold you till you've done more research and to give your wallet a chance to recuperate. JVC marshmellows are generally well thought of and I think they sell for less then $15. Creative ep-630s aren't bad for about $30.

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #847 of 2,089
Well I finally joined the club! I purchased my 580’s and I love them. I have already ordered the HD600 grills and HD650 cable. Now I’m looking getting an amp. I’m really torn between the iBasso D2, Corda2Move, and ZERO 24 Bit/192KHz DAC. Any suggestions my source will be my laptop and ripped flac files.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #848 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I finally joined the club! I purchased my 580’s and I love them. I have already ordered the HD600 grills and HD650 cable. Now I’m looking getting an amp. I’m really torn between the iBasso D2, Corda2Move, and ZERO 24 Bit/192KHz DAC. Any suggestions my source will be my laptop and ripped flac files.

If you will want to use the amp portably, get the D2 or the 2Move, but if you don't need it to be portable, the ZERO will be a much better amp. A desktop amp will almost always be better than a similarly priced portable amp. Although, I really love the D2
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #849 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is going to hurt to say, because I have a pair of HD595's for sell right now on the FS forum, but if you are going to buy an amp there is no doubt that you should buy the HD580's.

Even without an amp, the 580's thrash the 595's in my opinion. 595's try to be a different headphone and try to do everything well, but nothing magnificent.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #850 of 2,089
Well you can see my other thread as well but today I got my 580's back in a sense. Ahh I love these things, tommorow I might be hooking up with Joshatdot to drive them out of his LD. Than and my 701's, SR225's and I am going to listen to a DT770 for the first time. Bayer is the only house sound I have yet to hear out of the big 5 (Senn,AKG,Grado,Bayer,Shure)
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #851 of 2,089
BTW....If anybody needs a baffle because their silk screening ripped or anything give me a PM.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #852 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you will want to use the amp portably, get the D2 or the 2Move, but if you don't need it to be portable, the ZERO will be a much better amp. A desktop amp will almost always be better than a similarly priced portable amp. Although, I really love the D2
tongue.gif

Portability is nice but not a necessity. I don’t see myself packing the 580’s for a road trip. I’m surprised but people don’t seem too excited about the D2 at least compared too the D1. I have listened to the original Move with the HD600 and liked what I heard. So to me the Corda2Move would not be a bad choice. I need to find out what the chassis dimensions are for the ZERO. I would like it better if it is smaller than say a DVD player. I’ll keep looking.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #853 of 2,089
I'm new to the club. I ordered a pair of 580s a couple of days ago from Brian at ProAudioMart, who was very nice to deal with. Highly recommended. I have a feeling I got one of the last ones he had though, because he doesn't have that listing on ebay anymore. Can't wait to hear a pair that I actually own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #855 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to the club. I ordered a pair of 580s a couple of days ago from Brian at ProAudioMart, who was very nice to deal with. Highly recommended. I have a feeling I got one of the last ones he had though, because he doesn't have that listing on ebay anymore. Can't wait to hear a pair that I actually own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the club. You won't be disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back