The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #826 of 2,089
thanks guys for the reply...so you guys would universally agreee that these top the hd595s? I'm so close to pulling the trigger...

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #827 of 2,089
The 580's off of eBat from Brianf are in fact legit and at a very reasonable price. His other items are listed at retail but these 580's are a really good deal. I snagged 4 pairs from brian. Sold one but kept three pairs. Grab one of these 580's while they're still available. They are in among the 600/650 range in terms of SQ. I am tempted to buy one more pair just because...

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #828 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys for the reply...so you guys would universally agreee that these top the hd595s? I'm so close to pulling the trigger...

There is no universal agreement at all
smily_headphones1.gif
I've had the HD595 as well and they are a totally different sounding headphone to the HD580. Personally I think the HD580 is far better than the HD595 but you will find other members have a completely opposite point of view. Best to read up about both by using the search function. Which one to get will depend a lot on your priorities as regards sound and what musical preferences you have.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #829 of 2,089
Quote:

Do it! Do it!. When they are well and truly gone. its good to know you got them while others are searching endlessly for them
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #830 of 2,089
After doing some research it seems that everyone is pairing the hd580's with some type of amp...does it fair well without one? I'm still a struggling college student so it'll be tough to afford one right away and I sometimes plan to use it with my mp3 player (zen vision:m) But still, sometime in the future I want invest in a sub-200 amp that will stay at my desk (like a little dot or something)

add:
are you using an amp?

I'm so close to buying it...

thanks for the replies!

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #831 of 2,089
Quote:

After doing some research it seems that everyone is pairing the hd580's with some type of amp...does it fair well without one? I'm still a struggling college student so it'll be tough to afford one right away and I sometimes plan to use it with my mp3 player (zen vision:m) But still, sometime in the future I want invest in a sub-200 amp that will stay at my desk (like a little dot or something)

add:
are you using an amp?

I'm so close to buying it...

thanks for the replies!

To be honest, yes, you really do need an amp with the 580's. For the money, a great dual-role amp is the Total Bithead - about $150, less if you can find them used here in the forums:
HeadRoom Total BitHead @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Another great amp which I feel sounds even better is the mini^3, but those you have to find a builder for them as it is not a retail product.

Will

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #832 of 2,089
Quote:

Yes, if you have an amp to drive them properly.
I'm not *universally*, though -- just me.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #833 of 2,089
I use mine out of an iPod without an amp. They sound better than my Grado SR125's did to me, so I sold the Grados. My UE Super.fi's sound a bit better straight out of the iPod, but they are not comfortable, so unless I need isolation, I use the 580's, and enjoy them immensely. With that said, it is clear that there is a brilliant headphone just waiting to get out. I am building 2 Pimetas to power them with, one battery powered, one desktop unit with wall power and cross-feed. I'll likely build a mini3 and something (or somethings) *bigger* as time goes on. I am NOT on board with the statement "needs an amp." I am on board with the statement "a fine headphone that GREATLY benefits from a quality amp." There are of course, thousands here who will disagree. And likely an almost as large a number who will agree. A slightly smaller number will agree and actually admit to it. That's my quarter's worth!

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #834 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another great amp which I feel sounds even better is the mini^3, but those you have to find a builder for them as it is not a retail product.

I have a Mini^3 and it drives my 580s so damn well. Looking forward to getting my Little Dot Mk1 delivered so I can make a comparison.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #835 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use mine out of an iPod without an amp. They sound better than my Grado SR125's did to me, so I sold the Grados. My UE Super.fi's sound a bit better straight out of the iPod, but they are not comfortable, so unless I need isolation, I use the 580's, and enjoy them immensely. With that said, it is clear that there is a brilliant headphone just waiting to get out. I am building 2 Pimetas to power them with, one battery powered, one desktop unit with wall power and cross-feed. I'll likely build a mini3 and something (or somethings) *bigger* as time goes on. I am NOT on board with the statement "needs an amp." I am on board with the statement "a fine headphone that GREATLY benefits from a quality amp." There are of course, thousands here who will disagree. And likely an almost as large a number who will agree. A slightly smaller number will agree and actually admit to it. That's my quarter's worth!

I occasionally use my 580s with my Zune 30, even though I own a portable amp (Xenos) because it's more convenient when walking around. They don't play loud but they sound great.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #836 of 2,089
I love them even more now.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #837 of 2,089
Blackburn -
One of the reasons I got the HD580 is that they have a rep for sounding good without a dedicated amp but improve with equipment upgrades. I'd suggest that you get the 580's now and enjoy, then save up for the best amp you can get. When you get the amp it will be like new headphones all over again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: when you shop for amps don't over look home amps if you don't need portability, Often you can get a better deal with them then with portables.

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #839 of 2,089
Ok I am new to the HD580 club. These headphones sounded ok right out of the box, a little harsh but that is all gone now after just 10 hours of burn in. They seem to be getting better and better as the burn in time goes. The soundstage is just amazing at this point and the simply trample the HD595's in quality already
eek.gif
. Listening to RadioHead - Kid A is pretty cool on these
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back