The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #2,854 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to hear your comparisons. I hope you were able to get the cable issue worked out.

Working on it, and not just for myself. Now to finish the new amp before the hd800 gets here.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #2,855 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Commentary i agree with but price? Price isnt indicative of anything. Unfortunetly its price that seems to drive most impressions on all products.

Even though its essentially impossible it would be fun to do a blind test of the most expensive headphones available mixed in with cheaper models, all driven by their best possible sources, to see what the consensus is.

Bologna(boloney)....hogwash...couldn't disagree more. Sennheiser began this venture to create an all new headphone from scratch...they did not redesign an existing model, thus the pricetag. I'm real tired of people taking offense to, what they view, as a high pricetag. Look, it's not as cheap as the hd600 and hd650 or any other for one reason....they didn't update an existing model...they spent seven years imagining, engineering, testing, retesting, and then taking their plans and sending them to production to, again, test, tool, retool and for this your not gonna spend 600.00 or less....that simply is illogical.

For the last time....I don't look at the price and say, "hey that's expensive, it must be good"....gimme a break already.

When and if they recoup their initial investment, yes, I'm sure the prices will come down...say, in a year or two(who can tell).

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2,856 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When and if they recoup their initial investment, yes, I'm sure the prices will come down...say, in a year or two(who can tell).

So you all better get out there and buy the crap out if it, so I can hopefully get my hands on one eventually for under a grand. yeehaw!

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2,857 of 5,928
Many product developments, especially NOT software related, have an amortization period of 3-5 years to spread initial development costs incurred prior to production, where most expenses after that are simply operational.

Given that, look for price stability for at least 3 years, regardless of all other economic factors, as the costs have already been spread. If sales exceed that number, it becomes profit for that year, not an excuse to say development has been recaptured, now slash price. And, the costs of moving production to a higher volume line in Ireland will incur even more initial cost, again, needing to be recouped.

Besides, what competitive pressure does Senn have to reduce price - and selling more units does not necessarily mean more profit.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2,858 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bologna(boloney)....hogwash...couldn't disagree more. Sennheiser began this venture to create an all new headphone from scratch...they did not redesign an existing model, thus the pricetag. I'm real tired of people taking offense to, what they view, as a high pricetag. Look, it's not as cheap as the hd600 and hd650 or any other for one reason....they didn't update an existing model...they spent seven years imagining, engineering, testing, retesting, and then taking their plans and sending them to production to, again, test, tool, retool and for this your not gonna spend 600.00 or less....that simply is illogical.

For the last time....I don't look at the price and say, "hey that's expensive, it must be good"....gimme a break already.

Excuse me but did i step on your toes? I never once mentioned the HD800 specifically, i simply stated that price is not indicative of quality, especially to a specific individual, because the comment i quoted was akin to "something costs a lot so it must be good". People have commented numerous times that a certain expensive headphone has dissapointed them. Pick your flavor and brand and model and chances are you'll easily find people who didnt like it.

If you do a post search i already went over the R&D and DEFENDED the HD800s price tag so you're preaching to the choir. However at the same time i will add that you dont recoup R&D costs on statement products. The real profit is made when the new technology is transitioned to the more affordable products because they sell far more units.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #2,859 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be shooting the hd800 out against the he60 right off the bat - both amped nicely, and with a decent source. That is my standard for the 800 - to equal, or exceed the he60.

Reasonable. I hope so too. With more punch, the 800 well could be preferred over the 60. If it is...well, my wife will understand. I hope.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #2,860 of 5,928
320 mile round trip. 1 hour on HD800, 20 mins on D2000 and 20 mins on D7000, and my cold has got much worse.

In short - didn't take me long to realise that the HD800 was the best headphone I have heard at presenting orchestral soundstage. Phenomenal.

Took a while to convince myself that it could do 'hip hop' and funk too.

I didn't know the Nagra CD player or the Grace m902b but I was able to connect to my iPod Classic and Voyager amp. Needed to wind the amp up to 80 - 90% but it made me smile. Jem's Aciid track totally rumbled.

Birdland (Quincy Jones) was superb.

Question is, as it is probablt the most 'refined' headphone I have heard (No HeXX experience or Stax for that matter) it will take some getting used to.

Base is certainly more controlled and less wooly that HD600 or 650.

I like them and will start to look into which UK suppliers will get first stock.

John Willet was a gentleman and helped in everyway possible with the listen.

There were two HD800s there, but each with less than 48 hours burn-in - so I expect them to free up a little more.

Treble was crystal clear without uncovering too much hiss from poor recordings.

I shall upload some vids in the morning.

Must sleep now

Sceptre

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #2,861 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
320 mile round trip. 1 hour on HD800, 20 mins on D2000 and 20 mins on D7000, and my cold has got much worse.

In short - didn't take me long to realise that the HD800 was the best headphone I have heard at presenting orchestral soundstage. Phenomenal.

I didn't know the Nagra CD player or the Grace m902b but I was able to connect to my iPod Classic and Voyager amp. Needed to wind the amp up to 80 - 90% but it made me smile. Jem's Aciid track totally rumbled.

Question is, as it is probablt the most 'refined' headphone I have heard (No HeXX experience or Stax for that matter) it will take some getting used to.

I like them and will start to look into which UK suppliers will get first stock.

There were two HD800s there, but each with less than 48 hours burn-in - so I expect them to free up a little more.

Must sleep now

Sceptre

Thanks for the feedback!

How did the bass compare to the D2000 or HD600/650 in terms of impact and depth?

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #2,862 of 5,928
Quote:

Must sleep now

Sceptre

Get well soon. Thanks for the impressions.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #2,863 of 5,928
Quote:

320 mile round trip.. and my cold has got much worse...

Must sleep now

Sceptre

As someone who is currently suffering from a cold that keeps getting worse myself, I wish you good rest. Mine has now gone to my ears, and that's the worst thing in the world if you're wanting to sleep.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #2,864 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be shooting the hd800 out against the he60 right off the bat - both amped nicely, and with a decent source. That is my standard for the 800 - to equal, or exceed the he60.

Thats what I'm talking about! lol...I'll be using the HE60 as a benchmark as well. I'm hopeful that it will retain the strengths of the baby orpheus, while improving on the bass.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2,865 of 5,928
My macbook took 3 hours to upload all the pics to flickr and now I need to tag them
tongue.gif

Sceptre... not meaning to put the cat amongst the pigeons and give away a little of my thoughts, but if you went to the Bristol show like me (not worth it on a whole for a 320 mile round trip imo but digressing...)

"best for orchestral"

So did you not hit the Grado stand and listen to the GS1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back