The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2,836 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that has trouble viewing the video. It seems to endlessly buffer while just spitting out seconds at a time. The T1 connection here is working fine
frown.gif

It might work well once you update your Flash player:

Adobe Flash Player

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #2,837 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might work well once you update your Flash player:

Adobe Flash Player

Thanks Powertoold - I clicked on in again and it worked fine. I guess I just tried it while bandwidth was congested.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2,839 of 5,928
Back home this evening from attending the Bristol Sound and Vision Show

Had a chance to fondle the HD800. Also met John who is a thoroughly nice chap and we had a small conversation and he allowed me to compare with my HD600

Also had a chance to listen to the Grado GS1000 down the hallway, notwithstanding they were on different source/amp

£2000 worth of headphones to try for free. Just happy I could do that as I can't afford anything of such ilk it for 5 years until I pay off all my uni fees
biggrin.gif

I have formed an impression but am a bit busy uploading to flickr the 204 pictures I took at the show...

So I will at this point try and put it across as succinctly as possible of what I thought until I return:

I no longer hold any preconceptions and of what I presumed to think that I knew about how headphones can deliver sound

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #2,840 of 5,928
Yeah..... we don't like succinct here.

We like verbose... So go ahead a waste a few electronic pages with all kinds of comments and thoughts...
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously -- looking forward to the pics.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #2,841 of 5,928
I hope to hear these at the Sound and Vision Show in Bristol tomorrow. Will report back if they're any good : )

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #2,842 of 5,928
We know that they are good. Probably even good enough to justify the price. However, it would be GREAT if they were $600. Just for me. I really hope they are not super duper deluxe awesome. Reason? I'm buying ONE pair of uber headphones soon. Right now, I must consider the 800 despite it being more than twice of the other models I am considering. Even V4 Darths are thrifty in comparison lol.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2,843 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for me, I really hope they are not super duper deluxe awesome.

Unfortunately, I think you are in the super duper minority. It seems that people have been waiting for ages for a super duper deluxe awesome headphone to challenge the R10. Anything less would just be another great headphone, and at this point, I think people would just sit back and yawn.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #2,844 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I think you are in the super duper minority. It seems that people have been waiting for ages for a super duper deluxe awesome headphone to challenge the R10. Anything less would just be another great headphone, and at this point, I think people would just sit back and yawn.

As it stands, the pinnacle of headphone design (IMO) came almost 20 years ago. In an age where the average piece of gear is obsolete soon after you buy it, thats a long time to wait for something new. So yeah, i'm gonna yawn if its just another decent headphone. That would remind of the buzzkill known as the AKG K701 which when it came out was supposed to best the K1000. The difference with the HD800 is the exciting commentary from trusted ears and the high price. This headphone better be good. I imagine it will be.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #2,845 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference with the HD800 is the exciting commentary from trusted ears and the high price. This headphone better be good. I imagine it will be.

Commentary i agree with but price? Price isnt indicative of anything. Unfortunetly its price that seems to drive most impressions on all products.

Even though its essentially impossible it would be fun to do a blind test of the most expensive headphones available mixed in with cheaper models, all driven by their best possible sources, to see what the consensus is.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #2,846 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally would prefer a different sound. The R10 isn't my taste. There are cheaper headphones that I prefer to the R10.

The HD800 seems to be about accuracy and the R10 is a lushly colored headphone. I'd rather it be on the HE-60 level, but with bass and the dynamic sound rather than a stat sound (just my personal taste). I'd like it to approach the HE-90's technical ability but without the long term... hate to say it but boring sound.

So far, seeing Tylls head bobbing around on that video leaves me hopeful
smile_phones.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #2,847 of 5,928
I will be shooting the hd800 out against the he60 right off the bat - both amped nicely, and with a decent source. That is my standard for the 800 - to equal, or exceed the he60.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #2,848 of 5,928
I am sitting in my hotel bedroom after the first day of the Bristol Hi-Fi Show - totally knackered.

It was great to meet LFC_SL and Sceptre today.

If anyone comes to he show tomorrow (Saturday) please make yourself known to me as it's nice to put a face to an avatar.

I will be interested to read what you post here.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #2,849 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be shooting the hd800 out against the he60 right off the bat - both amped nicely, and with a decent source. That is my standard for the 800 - to equal, or exceed the he60.

Can't wait to hear your comparisons. I hope you were able to get the cable issue worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back