The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 21, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2,866 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to hear your comparisons. I hope you were able to get the cable issue worked out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be shooting the hd800 out against the he60 right off the bat - both amped nicely, and with a decent source. That is my standard for the 800 - to equal, or exceed the he60.

Now it gets interesting.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #2,867 of 5,928
It is bass light then? Seems like it. I kind of hope so lol. It will keep me away like garlic does the toothy ones.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #2,868 of 5,928

Clickable thumbnails

In between uni work, my volunteering, organising 204 photos and having to take stock of my written notes I at the very least leave photos

HD800 looks nicer and more acceptable in person than internet pictures may have you believe

If there are requests for the original 4000x3000 resolution images then I shall see then

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2,869 of 5,928
bass? impactful or what? please!!

Seems like nobody wants to comment on this? Hmmm.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2,870 of 5,928
Thanks for all the pics LFC_SL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass? impactful or what? please!!

Seems like nobody wants to comment on this? Hmmm.

Yeah, I'm with you a bit. I have mine pre-ordered, so I'm not looking to bash them out of jealousy or anything.

I do, however, enjoy hearing the negatives about headphones to give me an idea of the characteristics of what it's really like. At headfi, during the FOTM period (I don't think these are are FOTM BTW), there seems to be a good amount of time where nothing is mentioned negatively... kind of like some sort of political correctness, if you will.

From all of the impressions so far, I have had a sense that there is an underlying bass impact issue which may not be a fault but may require a second headphone to keep for rock .... although Tyll seemed to be doing some serious head bobbing, so who knows.

Maybe we're just all suffering from: "wanna hear it now but have to wait...idis"

I would be happy without the bass impact BTW - I'd just keep my HP-2s for that duty, but I think it would be valuable to others that are bassheads.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #2,871 of 5,928
Quote:

I do, however, enjoy hearing the negatives about headphones to give me an idea of the characteristics of what it's really like. At headfi, during the FOTM period (I don't think these are are FOTM BTW), there seems to be a good amount of time where nothing is mentioned negatively... kind of like some sort of political correctness, if you will.

Agree 100%.

Quote:

From all of the impressions so far, I have had a sense that there is an underlying bass impact issue which may not be a fault but may require a second headphone to keep for rock .... although Tyll seemed to be doing some serious head bobbing, so who knows.

Maybe we're just all suffering from: "wanna hear it now but have to wait...idis"

I would be happy without the bass impact BTW - I'd just keep my HP-2s for that duty, but I think it would be valuable to others that are bassheads.

I am not a basshead, but it would be great if these were balanced at everything(much like the hd600, but with improved refinement of sound). For me, it would then be perfect. But looking at all the cans I've owned in the past, most were bass light so to speak and I loved most of them. So I could probably live with it as well eventually.

I felt like the HE60's were like the hd600 on steroids. I'm hoping that these will be like the HE60 with the improved bass. From impressions, it seems like their sig is closer to that of a stat than that of a traditional senn dynamic. Only time will tell.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #2,872 of 5,928
The fact that they are open leads me to think that they are not super slamming bass monsters. fine. They are "musical". I just wanted something firm down around 28-30hz. Just hoping. I will be happy if they are and if they are not. One is better for my ears and the other for my wallet lol.

All the best to Sennheiser. Now go make a closed version! Just for us disturbed, never happy folks. boomski boom boomers!

Cheers!

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2,873 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that they are open leads me to think that they are not super slamming bass monsters. fine. They are "musical". I just wanted something firm down around 28-30hz. Just hoping. I will be happy if they are and if they are not. One is better for my ears and the other for my wallet lol.

All the best to Sennheiser. Now go make a closed version! Just for us disturbed, never happy folks. boomski boom boomers!

Cheers!

Can't wait and happily i have the DX1000s to complement them for when i want extreme bass slam.
dt880smile.png

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #2,874 of 5,928
I've personally found that a number of headphones tend to exagerate Bass in a favorable way compared to a live performance. This also skews opinions on what is correct bass because, obviously, people set their standards by what they use and enjoy most. Personally i can live with what most would classify "tame" bass as long as it was boardering on correct or realistic. At the same time i can see it causing problems for others.

I suspect that the HD800 will indeed be classified as bass light in comparison to headphones renowned for their bass such as the ED9, DX1000 and yes even the HD650. Personally i dont find this a bad thing.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #2,876 of 5,928
There's really nothing worse than people drawing conclusions about phones they have not heard, while those who have heard them say nothing.

*sigh*

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #2,877 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's really nothing worse than people drawing conclusions about phones they have not heard, while those who have heard them say nothing.

*sigh*

Haven't man. All I said was if it is bass light (to me) then I will pass.

I know there will be a majority of delighted owners though. Sennheiser makes good stuff.

that is what I am saying.

beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2,878 of 5,928
Quote:

Sure there is.

Famine, disease, poverty and living in a war-torn region.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #2,879 of 5,928
Quote:

*sigh*

Not too many are drawing conclusions. Most are simply speculating. Isn't that half the fun?
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #2,880 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a sweet setup. For what its worth, I think the m902 is a nice amp for the HD600. I imagine it drives the HD800 well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back