The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 21, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #2,881 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's really nothing worse than people drawing conclusions about phones they have not heard, while those who have heard them say nothing.

*sigh*

I do feel that we are all starving a bit for some substance here. Sifting through all these pages of speculation can be frustrating. But you are missing the bigger picture of why we are posting these particlur thoughts about the bass having not heard them.

...we speculate on the limited impressions, those that have heard them feel compelled to say "No, you're wrong", or "yeah, I can kind of hear that". It's a way of bringing information out and getting a confirmation or rebuttal. You know "communication", what these forums are all about. But then at least we have information that we can grasp better than it sounds great, bestest ever and ever, which definately says something but is a bit fuzzy.

We already know the darn thing sounds good - to make it interesting, what might become a problems for some about the sound.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #2,882 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've personally found that a number of headphones tend to exagerate Bass in a favorable way compared to a live performance. This also skews opinions on what is correct bass because, obviously, people set their standards by what they use and enjoy most. Personally i can live with what most would classify "tame" bass as long as it was boardering on correct or realistic. At the same time i can see it causing problems for others.

I suspect that the HD800 will indeed be classified as bass light in comparison to headphones renowned for their bass such as the ED9, DX1000 and yes even the HD650. Personally i dont find this a bad thing.

I'd like to read comments from anyone who has heard the HD800's comparing the bass directly to the HD650's, as that would give many of us a good reference point.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2,883 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I'm talking about! lol...I'll be using the HE60 as a benchmark as well. I'm hopeful that it will retain the strengths of the baby orpheus, while improving on the bass.

Ah, that is the thing - with a Blue Hawaii, the he60 does not lack from bass. So, the bar is even higher than you suspect.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #2,884 of 5,928
From Good Gear Guide review:

"On the top of the headband a serial number will tell you which pair of HD 800s — from Sennheiser's limited production run — you own"

wait, is this like limited edition?

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2,885 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, that is the thing - with a Blue Hawaii, the he60 does not lack from bass. So, the bar is even higher than you suspect.

the bass on the HE60 when driven through the KGSS or even a GES is not great. and when i listened to the HE60 through the HEV90, the biggest difference or improvement in comparison to the other amps was an increase in sound stage, which allowed everything else to open up as well. but i don't recall the bass getting any better, or at least not by much.

i suspect the bass on the HD800 will be better than the HE60.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #2,886 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't man. All I said was if it is bass light (to me) then I will pass.

I know there will be a majority of delighted owners though. Sennheiser makes good stuff.

that is what I am saying.

beerchug.gif

I don't know if the HD 800 will be bass-light to you, but I can say that it is not at all bass-light to me. The bass extension is phenomenal, actually; but, though it extends very deep, it does so neutrally.

If your preferences tend toward bass-accentuated headphones, it may not suit you. But even if you prefer some bass accentuation, I don't think you'll argue that the HD800 delivers very deep bass after you've heard it.

Also, the HD800's bass detail is like no other headphone I can recall hearing.

I can't argue whether its bass is good enough for you before you've heard it, or even after you've heard it. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #2,887 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the bass on the HE60 when driven through the KGSS or even a GES is not great. and when i listened to the HE60 through the HEV90, the biggest difference or improvement in comparison to the other amps was an increase in sound stage, which allowed everything else to open up as well. but i don't recall the bass getting any better, or at least not by much.

i suspect the bass on the HD800 will be better than the HE60.

When you say the bass is not great, in my system I would clarify and say "it is good but not great as far as impact" and it does reach to 31Hz and it seems detailed and quick. If I go a day without listening to music, and then put on the HE60 at the end of the day they don't seem that bass light; so they are like a slightly lighter-bass version of my HD600 but with a bigger soundstage and more detail, so actually not like my HD600 but you know what I mean.
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2,888 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback!

How did the bass compare to the D2000 or HD600/650 in terms of impact and depth?

Hi HP Addict.

I have woken myself coughing so here goes for a few answers.
Good news is my ears have not suffered due to the cold I have.

My comments about bass are as follows. For an open design they have plenty of base. Do they have as much bass slam as some of the best closed headphones? No. Is the bass there and enjoyable - Yes, but not 'slamming'. I would argue that we should never expect and open design to have the same bottom end characteristics as a closed phone. I was able to increase volume and get some very rich enjoyable bass, but would never be able to get the UE9 bass presence. The HD800 is too accurate to have a bass hump. The bass is there, but not in your face like UE9 or D2000.

I played some Andre 3000 (The Love Below) and Hot Chip (Made in the dark) and heard some fantastic sub 50Hz response. I had to increase the volume quite a bit to get a 'smiling ' base response, but it is there, not in spades like a punchy closed phone though. John Willet might have thought me a heathen for listening to this music through the HD800s but they did very well. It took me a while to appreciate them though! Not S-logic kind of 'get used to it' but oh - I had always heard it differently before, but this is good, maybe better! In time I believe that they will be my favourite can for many genres. Just keep the UE9 for head slamming bass!

Raising Sand (Krauss and Plant) and has some deep lines and it sounded very natural and enjoyable. Nothing missing. But no, the HD800 is not a bass hunter like the UE9 and D7000 are. It is a far more 'accurate' phone for that.

As compared to HD600/650. Deeper bass than both, without any 'veil' in mids or highs. This is not a laid back phone like the 600 is.

The HD800 does disappear very quickly. You are hearing the recording rather than hearing it played in 'Studio 54' (Round disco in NY if IIRC).

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"best for orchestral"

So did you not hit the Grado stand and listen to the GS1000?

I prefer RS-1 to GS-1000. RS-1 sound great for orchestral to me, but the HD800 beat them hands down. I had my own phones with me to compare (RS-1, UE9 & ESW10). Yes - HD800 were excellent for all acoustic recordings I had. Headphones 'disappeared' and you really felt you were in the concert hall listening live!

JVC were at the show but did not have the HX1000's there. They haven't promoted them in the UK but they do have a box of 6 of them at UK HQ. I wanted to hear them ref D7000 and UE9.

Quote:

bass? impactful or what? please!!

Seems like nobody wants to comment on this? Hmmm.

Again, bass is totally there but not at an elevated stance. You can force it with EQ and make it prominent, forceful and visceral, and without noticeable distortion, but off the bat, this is not gong to hit you like a closed phone will.

I think it is a very superior HP, that I could get used to and enjoy very much. It is not good for noisy environments as outside distractions easily get into the music. Turn it up and you do get a compelling and authoritative presentation. Nothing is missing, but neither s anything exaggerated. It would take some getting used to for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all of the impressions so far, I have had a sense that there is an underlying bass impact issue which may not be a fault but may require a second headphone to keep for rock .... although Tyll seemed to be doing some serious head bobbing, so who knows.

Maybe we're just all suffering from: "wanna hear it now but have to wait...idis"

I would be happy without the bass impact BTW - I'd just keep my HP-2s for that duty, but I think it would be valuable to others that are bassheads.

robm321 - you may have hit it on the head. A second closed phone will complement well for rock. I come to the conclusion that if you are a bass junkie then an open phone is not for you.

Switching to the HD800, to me, is similar to switching wines from a familiar and warm rich Merlot to a fine Chateau du Pape. At first it is unfamiliar and you might miss tastes you have become to expect in a wine. After time and appreciation you will learn what is missing from what was familiar though.

I haven't heard electrostatics. Electrets were super for low level mids and highs but were bass shy. The HD800 does have the accuracy in mids and highs that an electret had but with all the missing bass.

Quote:

The fact that they are open leads me to think that they are not super slamming bass monsters. fine. They are "musical". I just wanted something firm down around 28-30hz. Just hoping. I will be happy if they are and if they are not. One is better for my ears and the other for my wallet lol.

All the best to Sennheiser. Now go make a closed version! Just for us disturbed, never happy folks. boomski boom boomers!

Cheers!

Exactly - but with higher volume and emphasis they do become the bass head boom, boom, boomers you want them to be.

In conclusion, HD800s are not base light - far from it. But they are not bass monsters. I played some organ tracks with low 64 foot lines. No vibration heard or discoloration. Very extended response down there but not with a hump to exaggerate any frequency range.

Overall what I did find was that auditioning open headphones on an unfamiliar system in a noisy environment is not the best place to do it. I can see why Senn want distributors who are going to invest in auditioning environments that work well.

There is no substitute for 'at home' with 'your gear'.

Forgot to mention comfort. Very nice!

One last note - they were easier to drive out of my GSP Voyager than my HD600's, but not by much. These are not designed for portability at all.

Please do ask more but I hope the above answers some of what you wanted.

I await the review from LFC_SL. I feel that the price is high but when compared to the GS1000 represents great value.

Off to bed with LemSip!

Sceptre

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #2,891 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Good Gear Guide review:

"On the top of the headband a serial number will tell you which pair of HD 800s — from Sennheiser's limited production run — you own"

wait, is this like limited edition?

John Willett I think is name is, either works or has worked for Sennheiser and has said it isn't limited edition. Maybe the site means that the quantities will be limited compared to other headphones, so they'll be able to number them. I don't think there will be a 'time limit' in which you have to purchase these phones as much as these won't be headphones that are flooding the marketplace in quantity. If these are only available for a limited time, that throws off my amp purchase schedule, so hopefully they are not.

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #2,894 of 5,928
I'm all in...can't wait for the hd800. Anyone with any listening impressions? Love to hear 'em....don't need anymore pics...just impressions...this is the headphone I've been waiting for, I just know it!

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #2,895 of 5,928
Thanks Sceptre! You layed out a very transparent picture of what these sound like. I appreciate your efforts and impressions.

Yes. the Grado PS-1000 has reframed the whole headphone picture.
eek.gif
Not good for the heart or wallet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back