The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Feb 20, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #2,822 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I know a guy that actually works in a Hifi store... he ordered some 600Ohm Beyer Manufaktur DT990 and wondered why they didn't sound so great out of a speaker amp's headphone-out... seems high quality headphones are still quite the niche product.

Too funny! I've got that same pair of headphones, and yes, they need proper amplification. Although they do sound pretty decent right out of my Macbook Pro, surprisingly. I use them for watching YouTube videos and such, so my expectations aren't terribly high in that particular application.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #2,823 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm well aware of that, but if I were reviewing a $1,400 pair of headphones and wanted to take pride in my work as a "professional" reviewer, then even if (especially if) I found that price to be shockingly high, I'd be concerned that perhaps my knowledge base needed some fine tuning. I'd then do a bit of research and discover other headphones such as the R10, Qualia 010, L3000, Edition 9, PS-1, and the like, that have been introduced at various times as "statement" products.

Think the point is missed here. Most of these reviewers review this as a top of line consumer product not as a high-end product as the latter is a very small procentage of their readers. Their target audience is not us hence price VS value is way larger factor. How ever much we very few head-fi's would like it be different.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2,824 of 5,928
Quote:

Too funny! I've got that same pair of headphones, and yes, they need proper amplification. Although they do sound pretty decent right out of my Macbook Pro, surprisingly. I use them for watching YouTube videos and such, so my expectations aren't terribly high in that particular application.

On that note - I'm doing a personal wishlist and a soon an university special project which require a few differnent brand high-ends. Whats regarded as the best technology DT880 or DT990?

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #2,825 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that note - I'm doing a personal wishlist and a soon an university special project which require a few differnent brand high-ends. Whats regarded as the best technology DT880 or DT990?

I think they're on about the same level, actually.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #2,826 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe somebody made a post here saying the DT700,DT880,and DT990 all use the same driver. The claim was that the differences between the three headphones are from the housing, dampening, etc. The person had taken apart the headphones, examined them, and posted pictures here.

You can argue about which sounds better, but if the drivers are the same the technology is arguably the same.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2,827 of 5,928
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2,828 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe somebody made a post here saying the DT700,DT880,and DT990 all use the same driver. The claim was that the differences between the three headphones are from the housing, dampening, etc. The person had taken apart the headphones, examined them, and posted pictures here.

You can argue about which sounds better, but if the drivers are the same the technology is arguably the same.

Guess I'm asking Beyerdynamic tech support then if I need futher details on that bit. Though I would note that the housing and dampening has a lot to say tech-wise
o2smile.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2,829 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YHG2146Kq6U

Note that the bit about the HD800 doesn't start until 2:07 into the video.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #2,830 of 5,928
Quote:

Note that the bit about the HD800 doesn't start until 2:07 into the video.

Yep, that is right. Forgot to mention.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #2,832 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YHG2146Kq6U

Does anyone recognize the amp the HD800 is connected to?

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #2,834 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another review. I don't understand why they gave it 4.5 stars and not 5. They probably think its too expensive. Also requiring an amp is not a minus imo.
Good Gear Guide - Sennheiser HD 800 - Reviews - Advisors - AV Enthusiast Centre - Hi-fi Headphones

Yes, the 4.5 instead of 5 appears to be due to price.

Why do I say this? Well, the reviewer specifically says: "Put simply, the HD 800s are the best headphones this reviewer has ever heard."

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,835 of 5,928
Am I the only one that has trouble viewing the video. It seems to endlessly buffer while just spitting out seconds at a time. The T1 connection here is working fine
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back