The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #977 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the HD800 piece here: Stereophile: CES 2009 Show Report

I love this quote:

"When I left, the young owner of a new headphone site who had shared the demo with me was so blown away that he wrote down the name of the recording so he would be sure to get a copy."

Jude is not young, nor is Head-Fi new!

Actually, I am pretty certain that Jason Victor Serinus was referring to someone other than Jude. While I was at the greenhouse, I met a guy from another site whose name I cannot recall and there had been others. JVS knows Head-Fi very well and interviewed me and did a write-up on the second national meet for Stereophile online in 2007. It was somebody else, I am quite certain.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #978 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I am pretty certain that Jason Victor Serinus was referring to someone other than Jude. While I was at the greenhouse, I met a guy from another site whose name I cannot recall and there had been others. JVS knows Head-Fi very well and interviewed me and did a write-up on the second national meet for Stereophile online in 2007. It was somebody else, I am quite certain.

Ok, but Jude is still young-ish, at least.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #979 of 5,928
@ the fortunate few who have sampled the HD 800
biggrin.gif
, which route would you prefer:

1. Going balanced with an existing HD 650.

2. Single-ended HD 800, with amp upgrade later.

Assuming funds exist for one option at the moment.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #980 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the Equinox cable that is already being offered for the HD800. Just figure $2K. Because with the stock cable you really don't get to hear what it's capable of.
tongue.gif

the stock cable looks like a radical departure from the standard consumer cable and is really sweet. Personally I think the HD800 cable thing is going to be snall in comparison to the cottage industry that has sprung up around the 650 cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by drubrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your continued support
smily_headphones1.gif

Down with Amazon
evil_smiley.gif

Who has the pictures of you guys with our badges at CES?

Drew great pics and nice to see you again. Please remember to purchase from headphone centric stores that support our hobby. Drew, Todd and Tyl are really the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already cancelled my Amazon order (what was I thinking!!?!.... and ordered from TTJV!
smily_headphones1.gif

give that man a cigar, thanks!!!

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #981 of 5,928
I would be extremely surprised if Amazon shipped a single HD800 the day it is released for sale. I like Amazon a lot and order from them often, but if I want something delivered in a timely fashion, I usually avoid them. And no, I'm not paying to get better service with their "Prime" membership. I should not have to pay to get what should already be standard.

-Ed

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #985 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by xchagg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ the fortunate few who have sampled the HD 800
biggrin.gif
, which route would you prefer:

1. Going balanced with an existing HD 650.

2. Single-ended HD 800, with amp upgrade later.

Assuming funds exist for one option at the moment.

I love to sell amps, but I think I'd go single ended with the 800. That thing did things. Can't wait to hear it balanced!

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #986 of 5,928
Were the twenty units recovered in Boston?

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #988 of 5,928
Add me to the list of victims. Just put in my order with HeadRoom. Now the waiting begins. Curse you HeadFi etc etc and I'm sorry about my own wallet.

I'm assuming my Grace m902 will be able to handle these puppies. It seems to do OK by my HD650s.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #989 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love to sell amps, but I think I'd go single ended with the 800. That thing did things. Can't wait to hear it balanced!

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

can't wait to hear what your amp recommendation will be for the HD800's.

I was about to buy the HeadRoom Desktop Amp after I heard it at a local meet with my K701/HD650's but I definitely want to hear what your opinion on the best matched amp will be for the HD800's.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #990 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be extremely surprised if Amazon shipped a single HD800 the day it is released for sale. I like Amazon a lot and order from them often, but if I want something delivered in a timely fashion, I usually avoid them. And no, I'm not paying to get better service with their "Prime" membership. I should not have to pay to get what should already be standard.

-Ed

I concur. The Canon 5D Mark II fiasco is still fresh and vivid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back