The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #991 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be extremely surprised if Amazon shipped a single HD800 the day it is released for sale. I like Amazon a lot and order from them often, but if I want something delivered in a timely fashion, I usually avoid them. And no, I'm not paying to get better service with their "Prime" membership. I should not have to pay to get what should already be standard.

-Ed

what are you ranting about? Prime is free second day shipping and cheapened next day air service, nothing more. Why shouldnt you have to pay for a yearly membership to that?

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #992 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I ever drop $1400 on a headphone cable you have my permission to shoot me
wink.gif
Unless my wife beats you to it.

Good to ear some common sense!But my friend will lend me his "nine" just in case!

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #993 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love to sell amps, but I think I'd go single ended with the 800. That thing did things. Can't wait to hear it balanced!

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Any word from Sennheiser when they'll start selling replacement parts, namely stock replacement cables?
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #995 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are you ranting about? Prime is free second day shipping and cheapened next day air service, nothing more. Why shouldnt you have to pay for a yearly membership to that?

I signed up for Prime...I ended up ordering more stuff that year than I probably normally would have, because yay, free shipping. I also ordered more cheap used books, cause I didn't mind paying for shipping just "once in awhile." Besides, it still would end up being just $6-7 for most used books.

My membership ended recently (did not renew) and I tallied up my shipping savings...almost exactly $80, the cost of the membership.
wink.gif
So I really gained nothing, and they got me to order more of their stuff, and their third-party-sellers' stuff.

That's really why it's there. The price of the membership is carefully calculated to produce as many people like me as possible.

Anyway (sorry, OT).....

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #996 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming my Grace m902 will be able to handle these puppies. It seems to do OK by my HD650s.

And this is why I'm holding off and waiting for all the first takers to provide their opinions and reviews. If I'm spending $1400 I want to make absolutely sure that my gear can handle the 800 and that it's the right headphone for me. I know a number of dealers have a 30-day return policy, but I would be heartbroken if I did take the plunge and then realized it would be in my best interest to return them.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #997 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From those who've heard the phones, soundstage comes up again and again as one of the outstanding features. I'm a sucker for soundstage which is why my headphone of choice has been the GS1000's. I bought them under Headroom's return policy. I was just going to try them out, see what all the hubub was about. That cavernous soundstage, those seductive mids. What "return" policy. Can anyone whose heard the HD800s compare them to recollections of the GS1000, especially in terms of soundstage (width, depth, spatial size). Please don't tell me it surpasses the GS1000. I don't want to have to "try" out the HD800s.

I have owned both the Grado GS1000 and the AKG K1000. (I know lots of Head-Fiers are dissin' the GS1000, but it sounded truly fine with a Grace m902 amp.) When I heard the GS1000 for the first time at a dealer, my immediate reaction was, "Wow! These are the only phones I've heard that come close to the K1000 soundstage." Having now heard the HD800 (see my thread here), I can say that it comes even closer to the soundstage of the K1000 than the GS1000 does. The width and spatial size of the HD800 soundstage are enormous. (I don't specifically recall noting the depth.) The soundstage of the HD800 was so remarkable that it overshadowed all other sonic traits in my brief listening session.

So, sorry about your wallet...

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #998 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I wondered what happened with the Logan airport fiasco.

-Ed

There is no truth to the rumour that I was at Logan airport on the day that the HD800s disappeared.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #999 of 5,928
I was honored to listen to the HD800's at the CES. They are truly amazingly sounding and eagerly anticipated release.

What is really interesting is now the price competition with the newly designed Ultrasone 8's!! They both cost the same and are in competition on many levels. I was able to hear both and perhaps can argue on both sides.

One disappointing aspect to my experience is the listening room at the Senn both. There was lots of distractions and external sound that seemed to add to the experience. When I was at the Ultrasone's booth, there were few distractions...

One similar note to add, both headphones are redesigned. The Senns are truly a new model with seems to be well worth the wait. On the other hand, Ultrasone finally will stick to one product and not make it a limited addition.

I need more time to evaluate my opinions that were based on a few minutes with both products. I see success on multiple levels and congratulate both Companies on making a successful new line.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #1,000 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was honored to listen to the HD800's at the CES. They are truly amazingly sounding and eagerly anticipated release.

What is really interesting is now the price competition with the newly designed Ultrasone 8's!! They both cost the same and are in competition on many levels. I was able to hear both and perhaps can argue on both sides.

One disappointing aspect to my experience is the listening room at the Senn both. There was lots of distractions and external sound that seemed to add to the experience. When I was at the Ultrasone's booth, there were few distractions...

One similar note to add, both headphones are redesigned. The Senns are truly a new model with seems to be well worth the wait. On the other hand, Ultrasone finally will stick to one product and not make it a limited addition.

I need more time to evaluate my opinions that were based on a few minutes with both products. I see success on multiple levels and congratulate both Companies on making a successful new line.

Some/more info about the sound ???
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #1,001 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The neg comments on the looks are getting kind of tiring now. Yes, my first reaction wasn't positive but until I have seen and touched a pair I won't make any real judgement on that. Especially since the people that actually have tried them seem to like the appearance well enough.

Well put!All the materials that Sennheiser has used in the production of this headphone are purposely included for the purpose of eliminating vibration(as they stated).Their technology also eliminates distortion.So they were more concerned with distracting sounds,then sturdy metals for stylish rugged looks.That's why they achieved a possible marvel in hifi sound. P.S. "Stereophile lists the frequency range at 6hz-51khz(Sennheiser's official-6hz-51hz)

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #1,002 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The width and spatial size of the HD800 soundstage are enormous. (I don't specifically recall noting the depth.) The soundstage of the HD800 was so remarkable that it overshadowed all other sonic traits in my brief listening session.

Well... Look like the depth is the first gimmick of the 3D sound stage.
k701smile.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #1,003 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... Look like the depth is the first gimmick of the 3D sound stage.
k701smile.gif

Anyone that's given quality listening time to the Sony R10's knows what true depth in soundstage is.

It will be interesting to hear how the HD800 measures up in direct comparison.

-Ed

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #1,005 of 5,928
I sent an email to Sennheiser Nordic, asking if they know if, or when the HD800 becomes available in Norway, and told them the reason I asked was whether or not I should get on the pre-order list and import the cans from the U.S.

This is the response I got:
"I am sorry but I cant tell you when we can sell this HD 800 in Norway, so please order this as pre-orders from USA"

[EDIT:] For the Norwegians in here. From a Norwegian Sennheiser sales rep:

"Vi forventer at HD 800 er klare for salg i april eller mai 2009. Prisen er ikke fastsatt enda. Kursen på norske kroner gjør at man må forvente en pris i overkant kr 10 000,- inkl.mva."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back