The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #946 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Titanium scratches and scuffs soooooo easily.

Titanium is also quite resonant, which would not be desirable for headphone frames, except perhaps for the springy part of the headband. Among common metals, I think aluminum and magnesium are the least resonant, but even they resonate much more than high quality plastics.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #947 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surface hardness, yes.

Tensile strength, no.

Titanium scratches and scuffs soooooo easily.

-Ed

Find me a plastic that you can make a golf club face out of and won't scratch up with the first hit...

Titanium is way way harder than plastic. And then you can nitrogen harden the surface to make it embarass almost any metal.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #948 of 5,928
Head-fi.... Head-fi... One of a kind. I was searching the web for other information and the CES came up in the results. Looked and there was some talk about the *New* HD800s. I thought -- Hmmm. I wonder if anybody on Head-fi knows about this.

{I have been in and out of Head-fi lately.}

Come to site and see an OP on January 7th and then some 947 posts thereafter in 5 days. That's 190 posts / day on average.

That's more text messages than my daughter sends every day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Head-fi... Head-fi... Just when I was out then pull me back in.

Well it's only $1400.

So I'm in!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #949 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-fi.... Head-fi... One of a kind. I was searching the web for other information and the CES came up in the results. Looked and there was some talk about the *New* HD800s. I thought -- Hmmm. I wonder if anybody on Head-fi knows about this.

{I have been in and out of Head-fi lately.}

Come to site and see an OP on January 7th and then some 947 posts thereafter in 5 days. That's 190 posts / day on average.

That's more text messages than my daughter sends every day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Head-fi... Head-fi... Just when I was out then pull me back in.

Well it's only $1400.

So I'm in!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't forget the Equinox cable that is already being offered for the HD800. Just figure $2K. Because with the stock cable you really don't get to hear what it's capable of.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #950 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget the Equinox cable that is already being offered for the HD800. Just figure $2K. Because with the stock cable you really don't get to hear what it's capable of.
tongue.gif

LOL.

Honestly this has to be the one headphone that does not benefit from a recable. If so our sport becomes like the worldwide wrestling federation. Here in the OP the King of Head-fi says, this takes the cake, swallows it whole, spits it back out and the cake comes out better looking.

If anyone buys and says the same... and then someone else comes along and says "The cable took it to new heights...blahblahblah"

Then we are altogether crazy.

{it hits me}

Oh no... We *are* altogether crazy, aren't we??

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #951 of 5,928
Quote:

LOL.

Honestly this has to be the one headphone that does not benefit from a recable. If so our sport becomes like the worldwide wrestling federation. Here in the OP the King of Head-fi says, this takes the cake, swallows it whole, spits it back out and the cake comes out better looking.

Then we are altogether crazy.

I was about to comment on that, then I saw this

Quote:

{it hits me}

Oh no... We *are* altogether crazy, aren't we??

lol

but seriously, $1400
frown.gif
I was hoping that it will be somewhere below the $1000 mark, I guess I will be waiting for a year, or even two, and see if I can snatch a second hand one from the trading forum.
confused_face.gif

but again, from the early impression of them, who will sell them.

but seriously.... Jude are you sure you did not enter a virtual room, where they display the photoshoped image of the HD800? Because they seems like those headphone posted a while ago (jk jk)

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #952 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't seem like Spam to me, Tyll. As a few of us have said before, I really believe that our members should be ordering from you and Todd and Drew at Moon Audio rather than ordering from Amazon, in my humble opinion.

x2. MSRP and Senn's pricing strategy here argues heavily for purchasing from vendors that support this community and who also can be trusted for the kind of after-market service and support that Amazon simply can't offer for this type of product (to this crazed group of users, present company included).

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #953 of 5,928
The price is simply asking me to stay away...

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #954 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. MSRP and Senn's pricing strategy here argues heavily for purchasing from vendors that support this community and who also can be trusted for the kind of after-market service and support that Amazon simply can't offer for this type of product (to this crazed group of users, present company included).

Agreed, if you are "going to pay retail" why help Amazon? They don't need the help, and they didn't post to this thread!

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #955 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find me a plastic that you can make a golf club face out of and won't scratch up with the first hit...

Titanium is way way harder than plastic. And then you can nitrogen harden the surface to make it embarass almost any metal.

Sorry, I was referring to bare titanium. TiN or TiCN coatings are very durable, but I like the bare color look of titanium. Coating is like painting to me. Let the raw material speak for itself, right?
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #956 of 5,928
I just ordered a pair of HD800 from Headroom!
k701smile.gif
Now I just need to sell off some stuff to justify my purchase. I was thinking of getting a Woo Audio 6 se maxed before these cans showed up but I guess that amp will have to wait. I just hope they don't end up selling for $1000 a few months after they have been out.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #957 of 5,928
I was finally happy with my cans and decide to leave this site for a while to save my poor wallet. When I made a casual visit first time in a year, guess what I saw, a freaking HD-800???? Curse you head-fi! My wallet will never be safe again!
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #958 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't seem like Spam to me, Tyll. As a few of us have said before, I really believe that our members should be ordering from you and Todd and Drew at Moon Audio rather than ordering from Amazon, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for your continued support
smily_headphones1.gif

Down with Amazon
evil_smiley.gif

Who has the pictures of you guys with our badges at CES?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #959 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was finally happy with my cans and decide to leave this site for a while to save my poor wallet. When I made a casual visit first time in a year, guess what I saw, a freaking HD-800???? Curse you head-fi! My wallet will never be safe again!
icon10.gif

Welcome back!! I'm wanting the HD-800 myself but I really have to resist the urge. I have such good faith in the Senn that I will likely break down and order one soon.
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #960 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Voltron! I just placed an order with TTVJ. The sales lady, Brynn, promised my that I will get the first batch! YAHOOOOOO....
biggrin.gif

Now I need to cancel my Amazon order.

I already cancelled my Amazon order (what was I thinking!!?!.... and ordered from TTJV!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back