The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Feb 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,966 of 2,849

Quote:
You're right but it comes off as really recessed mids if that makes sense.

I don't agree, highs are not more boosted than mids but due to the 15dB boost in bass both mids and highs sounds recessed compared to bass.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,967 of 2,849
I bought a pair of these for delivery on Friday. Expecting them to sound like severely muffled crap. I sure hope they sound much clearer and have less bass bleed than the Kicker HP541.
For $31 it can't hurt. I can't buy any more expensive headphones, so I wanted to give these a try as a "fun" headphone.

Last good cheap headphones I liked under $50 were the Koss UR-55, Beyerdynamic DT-235 and Maxell DHP-II. XB500 is only good when EQed.

Oh yeah..the Superlux HD-668B is quite good, but I hate it's signature. Very clear sound with lots of detail.

If anything, the HTF600 might be too warm for me. I'm guessing if sound clarity is a high priority these won't get the pass from me. I hope I'm wrong.

BTW another recent favorite that's cheap is the AD300. Paid $35 on sale, but even for $65 they're worth it. Has more bass than the AD700,  fuller mids and less treble.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,968 of 2,849
You love the KRK KNS-6400+8400 cans... I'm pretty sure you wont love these... unless you are really looking for a change in sound sig...

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,969 of 2,849

Quote:
I don't agree, highs are not more boosted than mids but due to the 15dB boost in bass both mids and highs sounds recessed compared to bass.

I guess my sensitive ears are picking up something different. Ya I hear the heavy bass emphasis but the vocals sound so distant compared the the lows and highs. Personally I think the HTF600's highs are a lot smoother than the XB500

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,970 of 2,849
Hi! I'm still pretty new here. I don't mean to hijack this thread (my question is still pretty relevant), but my own post didn't get too many responses. As a result, I am still unsure of what headphones to buy. I have so far picked out the Superlux 681, Panasonic RP-htf600, JVC HARX700, and the AKG K518 LE. I am open to any other suggestions. I mostly listen to rap, pop, r&b, and occasionally classical music. These will be used with my iPod, phone, and sometimes my computer. I do not have any amps. I do have a $40 limit and would prefer to buy from Amazon because I have a $35 gift card. I need to use this out of the house at track meets. I was going to get the Superlux but someone said that they are great, but not very portable. I am thankful for any help that can be provided.
Edit: And isolation would be great (which is why the Portapros are not included). BTW the size of the headphones isn't too big of a deal for me. If the Superlux work good with an iPod and won't drain the battery then that's pretty much what I want. I don't worry too much about the size unless they are huge (how big are the Superfluxes?).

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,971 of 2,849
If you have a gift card to Amazon then I think this is the best set of phones that you can get for that price. I have had them for about a week and feel that the glowing reviews are justified. They are not portable phones and with all the more appropriate choices out there, if I was looking for mobile headphones I would not get these. The sound is nice, the comfort is decent and the bang for the buck is quite impressive. 

If I were you I'd look for something smaller IMO

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,972 of 2,849

Quote:
Hi! I'm still pretty new here. I don't mean to hijack this thread (my question is still pretty relevant), but my own post didn't get too many responses. As a result, I am still unsure of what headphones to buy. I have so far picked out the Superflux 681, Panasonic RP-htf600, JVC HARX700, and the AKG K518 LE. I am open to any other suggestions. I mostly listen to rap, pop, r&b, and occasionally classical music. These will be used with my iPod, phone, and sometimes my computer. I do not have any amps. I do have a $40 limit and would prefer to buy from Amazon because I have a $35 gift card. I need to use this out of the house at track meets. I was going to get the Superflux but someone said that they are great, but not very portable. I am thankful for any help that can be provided.

These aren't commuters.... but

I've had the HARX700 and wasn't impressed compared to what the HTF600's are giving me now, I find the Panasonics so much more involving. I've listen to every type of music you mentioned daily for a week now these (70+ hours) and I think it will be the perfect all arounder for you if they are restricted to home. There's tons of bass/warmth for rap and R&B that does not drown out the vocals, while still retrieving plenty of detail in the music. Classical is a true delight thanks to the mids and the shockingly decent sound stage. I can't speak for the Superluxes or the AKG's mentioned however, but I really think you won't be wasting your money getting the Panny's.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,973 of 2,849
I think that these headphones seriosuly need EQ'ing, today i listened to music from morning to now and with no EQ i can't get much fun, it certainly have a "boomy" effect but no fun at all, at least to me.

I have been listenning to dubstep and rock mainly and i made to presets for the two genres, sounded much better, seriously, great bass and excellent vocals, wich with a flat EQ was boring as hell.

At least this is happenning to me... the same for you guys or am i too cocky?

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,974 of 2,849
Okay, so now I am between the Pannys and the Superlux. I didn't really want the JVC's because I have always felt that they are made cheap, but I wanted to see what everyone said. Which probably have a better build quality, the Superflux or the Panny's? I prefer the looks of the Superlux but better build quality, isolation, and power usage is more important.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,975 of 2,849

Quote:
Okay, so now I am between the Pannys and the Superlux. I didn't really want the JVC's because I have always felt that they are made cheap, but I wanted to see what everyone said. Which probably have a better build quality, the Superflux or the Panny's? I prefer the looks of the Superlux but better build quality, isolation, and power usage is more important.

I believe the Superluxes are a fairly open and large can that you probably wouldn't want to be wearing out of the house. I will say that the build quality of these Panny's is pretty solid for $30

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,976 of 2,849

Quote:
I think that these headphones seriosuly need EQ'ing, today i listened to music from morning to now and with no EQ i can't get much fun, it certainly have a "boomy" effect but no fun at all, at least to me.

I have been listenning to dubstep and rock mainly and i made to presets for the two genres, sounded much better, seriously, great bass and excellent vocals, wich with a flat EQ was boring as hell.

At least this is happenning to me... the same for you guys or am i too cocky?

I've played with the EQ and I agree you can get  more excitement out of these for sure. However with my tinnitus I have come to love the smooth detailed sound of these at a flat EQ for long listening session.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,977 of 2,849
Alright I have decided to go with the Panny's. At first I thought that they looked cheap, but the packaging has made me think otherwise xD LOL anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions? I will probably order the Panny's soon so that hopefully they arrive by Saturday. The Panny's have good isolation right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back