The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jan 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,936 of 2,849

Quote:
Reading through this thread is making me a little dizzy...can someone please suggest the best pads for comfort and sound quality and where to buy them from?

thanks!!

Where you from? BeyerDynamic EDT 200 / 250 pads are among your best bet. Check amazon.com if you're from US.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,938 of 2,849

Quote:
So I took off the foam covering the drivers, I didn't really hear a difference in the mids but the bass seemed to extend down a tad further.

Should really mostly affect the highs, that's what removing foam usually does to any headphone or speakers (my friend used to take off the speaker foam cuz the highs were so much clearer then). Was such a shocking difference when he showed it to me. :p I think I will try removing this foam myself as I do apply some small boost to the highs (1~1.5dB or so) which is probably along the lines the change it brings I can imagine.

EDIT: I'm not so sure I like the change from removing the foam, seems to make the mids more pushed back so it's not as engaging/fun/immersive sounding and I stuffed the foam pieces back into the cup and it confirmed it quite well for me. I prefer slight EQing over removing the foam.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,939 of 2,849
Oh dear lord!

Take my money! i can´t resist! I bought the M50s just a week ago..And now i found this panny thread..You guys just..Make me and my wallet cry for help! haha..But hey! Its worth it!

Another one bites the dust i guess..Now il go back singing " ooops i did it again " for my girlfriend...Which i do every time i buy new headphones..Wounder why she hates that pop song so much?? :S

deadhorse.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,940 of 2,849

One of the materials used for bass traps is foam, it shouldn't be a surprise if bass response increases after foam removal.

I noticed this myself the other day, when i was reconditioning my Technics. They share the same angled driver design, covered by foam like these Panasonics.

See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593561/reconditioning-technics-rp-f300n-photos-included

I'm curious about these Panasonics too. If they share the same features with the Technics but with low deep bass, i want them!
I hope they have similar highs, because the Technics pair excells in highs. They're more forward than on the HD 598.
Quote:
Should really mostly affect the highs, that's what removing foam usually does to any headphone or speakers (my friend used to take off the speaker foam cuz the highs were so much clearer then). Was such a shocking difference when he showed it to me. :p I think I will try removing this foam myself as I do apply some small boost to the highs (1~1.5dB or so) which is probably along the lines the change it brings I can imagine.

EDIT: I'm not so sure I like the change from removing the foam, seems to make the mids more pushed back so it's not as engaging/fun/immersive sounding and I stuffed the foam pieces back into the cup and it confirmed it quite well for me. I prefer slight EQing over removing the foam.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,941 of 2,849

Quote:
Oh dear lord!

Take my money! i can´t resist! I bought the M50s just a week ago..And now i found this panny thread..You guys just..Make me and my wallet cry for help! haha..But hey! Its worth it!

Another one bites the dust i guess..Now il go back singing " ooops i did it again " for my girlfriend...Which i do every time i buy new headphones..Wounder why she hates that pop song so much?? :S

deadhorse.gif

I'm starting 2 repeat myself but 4 this price [25-30$] they are a steal! I spend A LOT more on drink in town every weekend. I'm not sure is that a good thing or not ? 
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,943 of 2,849

[size=10pt]Okay, so I've had mine for about four hours now. No burn in, just been listening to them straight out of the box[/size]. I’ve only had one other “real” set of cans-the Samson sr850’s that I bought a few weeks ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt for what it is. Most of my comparison is directly with the sr850’s.

[size=10pt]First off, are you kidding me? There is no way possible that these Panny’s sound this good. Nothing about the sr850 is better than the Panny’s IMO. And that’s with no burn on the Panny’s. How is this possible? I mean seriously how can they do this at this price point? Are they going to break in a few months? I used to be a long distance runner and bought a pair of nike shoes that were just perfect for me. Nike changes models a lot so I went out and bought five more pair. I want to do the same with these headphones. [/size]

[size=10pt]The highs on the 850’s might have a touch more articulation and detail. But the difference seems very slight. And that’s with no burn in. The bass is smile inducing. Mids are great. The sound stage is maybe the one area that I would give a nod to the Samson’s if I'm really honest.[/size]
[size=10pt]They have a lot of weight physically and don’t seem well suited as portable phones. The cord is a little thin, but I’m picking hairs here. The pads are on par with the Samson’s…maybe a little more comfortable but I plan to change them anyway. The headband is not as comfortable as the Samson’s. Puts a little to much pressure on the top of my head after an hour (this may be because I have a cold and nothing to do with the Panny’s.) The pads don’t fatigue my ears like the Samson’s so far. [/size]

[size=10pt]Someone here posted a few days ago that he walked into a flea market and got a pair of HD600’s for like $10. I remember thinking “that lucky bast@rd!!” Well, I now feel like that guy.  If I had paid $100 for these phones I would feel no different. At $150 I still would feel like I got a great deal and have no remorse. Honestly I don’t know about $200…I really am not educated enough about the subject to say. [/size]
[size=10pt]So these are just initial impressions from a headphone noob. Just wanted to say thanks to the OP!!! Time to doing a little cooking...[/size]

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,944 of 2,849

Quote:

I'm starting 2 repeat myself but 4 this price [25-30$] they are a steal! I spend A LOT more on drink in town every weekend. I'm not sure is that a good thing or not ? 
blink.gif

Take all your booze money for the next 6 months and spend it on audio gear.

If I went out every week I wouldn't be able to afford anything nice....thats why going out for me is a rare occurance.

If I want to drink I go to the liquor store.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,945 of 2,849

Quote:

One of the materials used for bass traps is foam, it shouldn't be a surprise if bass response increases after foam removal.

I noticed this myself the other day, when i was reconditioning my Technics. They share the same angled driver design, covered by foam like these Panasonics.

See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593561/reconditioning-technics-rp-f300n-photos-included

I'm curious about these Panasonics too. If they share the same features with the Technics but with low deep bass, i want them!
I hope they have similar highs, because the Technics pair excells in highs. They're more forward than on the HD 598.

Different densities of foam affect different frequencies.

I would say the density of foam covering the Pannies might have an effect on the highs down to the upper mids.....but not anything in the bass regions since it's just not dense enough.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,946 of 2,849
@MattTCG. Hey nice impressions. Ya you are getting a nice sounding set of cans for the money and I am glad you are taking a liking to this sound signature..I think these have shocked more than a few guys and I think for guys that are starting out on their audio adventure these are ideal cus for the dollar they are just so satisfying. I use mine at my shop every day and they still produce for me and that is my very first reviewed pair too. Talk about getting your monies worth. Lol!!.. Now if you want to shock yourself go to your local best buy and sample those headphones that are there. It will make you smile even more.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #1,947 of 2,849

Quote:

[size=10pt]Okay, so I've had mine for about four hours now. No burn in, just been listening to them straight out of the box[/size]. I’ve only had one other “real” set of cans-the Samson sr850’s that I bought a few weeks ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt for what it is. Most of my comparison is directly with the sr850’s.

[size=10pt]First off, are you kidding me? There is no way possible that these Panny’s sound this good. Nothing about the sr850 is better than the Panny’s IMO. And that’s with no burn on the Panny’s. How is this possible? I mean seriously how can they do this at this price point? Are they going to break in a few months? I used to be a long distance runner and bought a pair of nike shoes that were just perfect for me. Nike changes models a lot so I went out and bought five more pair. I want to do the same with these headphones. [/size]

[size=10pt]The highs on the 850’s might have a touch more articulation and detail. But the difference seems very slight. And that’s with no burn in. The bass is smile inducing. Mids are great. The sound stage is maybe the one area that I would give a nod to the Samson’s if I'm really honest.[/size]
[size=10pt]They have a lot of weight physically and don’t seem well suited as portable phones. The cord is a little thin, but I’m picking hairs here. The pads are on par with the Samson’s…maybe a little more comfortable but I plan to change them anyway. The headband is not as comfortable as the Samson’s. Puts a little to much pressure on the top of my head after an hour (this may be because I have a cold and nothing to do with the Panny’s.) The pads don’t fatigue my ears like the Samson’s so far. [/size]

[size=10pt]Someone here posted a few days ago that he walked into a flea market and got a pair of HD600’s for like $10. I remember thinking “that lucky bast@rd!!” Well, I now feel like that guy.  If I had paid $100 for these phones I would feel no different. At $150 I still would feel like I got a great deal and have no remorse. Honestly I don’t know about $200…I really am not educated enough about the subject to say. [/size]
[size=10pt]So these are just initial impressions from a headphone noob. Just wanted to say thanks to the OP!!! Time to doing a little cooking...[/size]

Nice impressions man!
And yes, that's what people usually say about these!
Their sound signature is really pleasant for most genres and I'm glad you like them!
For the price I believe that they cannot be beaten! (I have 2 pairs!)

Enjoy!

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,950 of 2,849

Quote:
Take all your booze money for the next 6 months and spend it on audio gear.

If I went out every week I wouldn't be able to afford anything nice....thats why going out for me is a rare occurance.

If I want to drink I go to the liquor store.

Yeah like if I could save and don't spend it.
redface.gif
Well I don't go out EVERY weekend and we don't always  go out on friday and saturday but in a last couple of m yeah I go out 2 much and spend 2 much. Usually first I go to a female friend with a bottle of vodka or wine and after 2-3h we go in a club or I go with friends in a cheap restorant/bar and have a dinner and get drunk and later go 2 clubs.

On topic: I ordered HTF600 yesterday

Can't wait 2 hear them!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back