The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jan 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,922 of 2,849

Quote:
The Creatives have a strong build and a good balanced sound,. The problem with the Creatives is the bass. It has nothing to do with the bass that is on the HTF600. I would say the biggest weakness in the sound on the creatives is in fact the bass..It is a bit flabby. It won't hit the bass notes with authority or have enough satisfying sub bass for a hip hop or EDM listener. .If you listen to bass heavy tunes I would go for a HTF600. If you listen to lighter music the Creatives are a good purchase.

Thank for your anwser, i mainly listen to house/drums and bass/dubstep and i like to hear too some rock/metal... its rare the ocasion that i listen to chill music/jazz or metal.

Would be the HTF600 a better choice to my music tastes then the aurvana?

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,923 of 2,849
Absolutely.. See the problem with the Creative arvanas is they can't do bassy music like the HTF600s. But the HTF600s can also do lighter music and bassier music. These are a fantastic value because of this reason..Are they the best at doing lighter music? No. But they have enough of a balance in the sounds to do anything you have and let you enjoy your music. These aren't analytical or the best at anything but you know what.. For the money. There is none better imo..Try one out.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,924 of 2,849
I tore the foam off the drivers, and A/B'd them with and without the foam covers by placing them back in when needed. The verdict: Take the foam out. The highs get a little brighter and a little less grainy. It's a pretty small change, but it helps.

I don't have much experience with nice headphones, but as far as I'm concerned, these things are great. Thanks, Dsnuts!

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #1,926 of 2,849

Quote:
These are the correct one's for the pannys are they not: 
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

Yea... EDT 200 and 250 are the same (or at least I think so). In europe it seems "250" is more common.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,929 of 2,849
Hello again!  My pair of HTF 600's are still dying.  But, I followed the recommendations in this thread and picked up a pair of Denon AH-D2000 and did a side by side comparison.

First, depending on where you buy these Denon's are around $250.  I did not find the deals noted in this thread and so spent closer to $300.  This is compared to the $60 (including replacement pads) I spent on the HTF.

My initial impression on the D2000, wow.  These are my first pair of > $100 headphones ever.  Everything about them feels well built.  Not a single piece on this feels cheap.

When comparing the two cans together, I just have to say that the HTF impressed me even more.  When I first got them, I was very happy with the sound as compared to the normal gamer headphones.  Now that I am comparing them against a higher priced can, all I can say is they are an incredible buy at $30-$60.  Hopefully the failure on my can was just a small % manufacturing defect.

For some details.... I can't really give much as I am not an audiophile.  The D2000 feel like they have an extended bass range; as in I can hear/feel a lower bass frequency as compared to the HTFs.  So on songs where the bass is not a beat, but a rumble that trails off, you can hear the trail go further on the D2000.

The bass on both models are about equal on punchyness though. So on songs where the bass is a beat, it is difficult to tell the difference between the two cans.

For the mids, the HTF seemed, more alive.  I would say more in your face.  The D2000 had a fuller mid section.  As in, the HTF was exciting but the D2000 showed you detail you missed in that excitment.  The D2000 seemed to handle the female voice better though, more dreamlike than the HTF.

For the highs, not too much to distinguish them here.  The music I listen to is digital in nature so I'm assuming very high frequencies are not there.  I had to EQ the HTF up a bit on the highs to get the details.  On the D2000 I had to dial this back down.

For my games (mmo and FPS, not competitive), the D2000 handled the explosions and music/ambiance better simply because no single effect could overwhelm the others.  An example would be an explosion that felt just as deep, impactful as the HTF but you could notice a bird singing or a cricket chirp in the middle of the madness.

Soundstage or seperation between right and left seemed very similar on the two models.

Sorry for the lack of techical detail!

In the end, if I had a friend looking for a new headphone I would recommend they pick up the HTF.  For the price, the sound quality, they won't be disapointed.  If they love the HTF and the type of sound it gives them; and they were willing to spend more, I would say pick up the D2000.  It gives the same type of sound signature, just better.  Enough to justify the price difference?  If you can afford the D2000 then you can afford to pick up both.  If you can't afford both, then the sound difference is not enough to justify the price.

I'll be checking out of this thread as I need to find a new home to discuss my new cans.  Also as a last note, no burn in on the D2000 for this comparision.

Thank you for the great run and suggestions!

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,930 of 2,849
Hey fantastic impressions. Here is where the D2000 will leave the HTF600s clearly behind however. Once you get into some higher end equipment later on. Try listening to your Denons again. That is when the Denons will excel..Your right in that the HTF600s will have more of an immediate impressive sound vs the D2000s but as you grow in your love of music and your equipment to play them with will also get better. That is when your Denons will shine for you. Happy listening.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,931 of 2,849
Well it does depend quite a lot on how you want it to sound like though, if you really like very forward / in-your-face mids then Denon D2000 wouldn't be the first can I'd go to. That's about the only real shortcoming I can think of this headphone though based on some people's preferences except for also being slightly too bright for some people.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,932 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey fantastic impressions. Here is where the D2000 will leave the HTF600s clearly behind however. Once you get into some higher end equipment later on. Try listening to your Denons again. That is when the Denons will excel..Your right in that the HTF600s will have more of an immediate impressive sound vs the D2000s but as you grow in your love of music and your equipment to play them with will also get better. That is when your Denons will shine for you. Happy listening.

Right now it is just computer audio.  I'm running it with the Sound Blaster Recon3d PCIe sound card.  It says that card can do up to 600 ohms with its headphone amp.  Comfortable listening levels with me is at about 20% volume output.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #1,933 of 2,849
Wow...just saw these are now $25 from Amazon shipped!!!! They're practically giving these away. Paid $30 for mine. They will be here today and will plan to cook them for 24 hours before I listen to them. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,934 of 2,849
Damn that's a great deal ! I just order them from Germany today for 42.5 euros shipped in Germany and my brother gonna send me as normal postal package in Serbia. I have NO idea how much that's gonna cost me. :frowning2:  I wish I live in USA and can order from amazon. Oh well. Will post my impression in a week or two.

P.S. btw they are ~38e + shipping [~4e in germany] and 40 euros shipped 2 Serbia! That's insane!
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #1,935 of 2,849
Reading through this thread is making me a little dizzy...can someone please suggest the best pads for comfort and sound quality and where to buy them from?

thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back