The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jan 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,891 of 2,849
Courier just dropped these off and initial impressions are "amazing" for $30 and holy bass. Guy behind me @ work keeps saying it feels like you're in a live theater. I'll post more detailed impressions of sound after I burn them all weekend, but pretty impressed out of the box by the bass/detail blend. I see what people mean by low isolation but for the office it's actually perfect balance cause I can hear when a project manager is yelling at me.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,892 of 2,849
I just took off the the plastic pieces(with left/right markings). Opened the cups & stuffed in some foam so to reduce the mid bass & increase treble response.
The soundstage is damn huge now.They really sound "speaker like" with the open cups.  Although mid bass is tamed now but the dynamics are rather poor with the foam mod. The treble has a bit sparkle & nice extension (at least doesn't sound veiled as in the stock config.)

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,893 of 2,849
After joining this forum and reading some recommendations, I purchased the sr850's. Had them for about a week and now returning because I found this thread. Got my pair ordered and on the way from Amazon!! Thanks to gelocks for this advice on these...

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,895 of 2,849

Quote:
You just want MOAR BASS!! Lol. Ya these will give it to you. I love the sound stage of the Samson SR850 though.

I may be more of a bass head than I thought. Got a shipping label pasted on the sr850's but kinda want to keep them just to have a nice second set with a very different sound signature.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,896 of 2,849
I would. I don't know if you game but the Samsons are awesome at games because of its wide stage and the bass on them are actually decent. Now if you mostly listen to bassy tunes that I would send that packing but if you listen to a variety of music. Having something different is a good thing.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,897 of 2,849
Someone mentioned the Panasonic RP-HTF890-S on the first page, has anybody actually tried them? I'm guessing the open design would give them a wider soundstage but less bass? Might get one of these Panasonics instead of the HD598, to save some money.

New here btw, hi.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,898 of 2,849
Well hold on there partner. The HTF890 is a good open neutral sounding phone with wide stage and decent clarity but they don't come close to a phone like a HD598..Would be awesome if they did. lol!.If you want to get one for a throw around pair I can see that but unfortunately the HTF600 is the better phones out of the 2. For and open phone that is relatively cheap I would try a FA-011.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,899 of 2,849

Quote:
I would. I don't know if you game but the Samsons are awesome at games because of its wide stage and the bass on them are actually decent. Now if you mostly listen to bassy tunes that I would send that packing but if you listen to a variety of music. Having something different is a good thing.

I like to play shooters for fun but nothing really competitive. So the sr850's would be better than Pannys for gaming? For me, sound in games is important for listening for enimies and good solid recoil for weapon fire ect. I assumed the Panny's would be better because of the better bass. No? Listening to sr850's now and got Damien Rice "O" album cranked up to about 50%. Got to say these are nice cans for the money!! They sound better each time I give them a listen. Not sure I'm gonna be able to stick them in the return box. 

I keep telling myself that I won't like the Panny's as much as I hope to and that they will become my second set and I'll go spend some real money on my every day pair of phones. Anyway got the weekend to listen to the sr's.  

I find it amusing that when I originally researched buying a nice pairs of cans, I planned to spend about $150 to get the sound I was after. I ended up spending a 1/3 of that the sr850...almost got what I was after. Then to actually get the sound I wanted I had to spend $20 less on the Panny's. Crazy!!

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,900 of 2,849
Well look at this this way. Both have completely different sounds and the HTF600 does games and movies awesome as well. You are right about the bass effect in games with the HTF600. Gun fire will never sound better. The SR850 is better for competitive play but the HTF600 is awesome for single player games and has the better immersion for that. 

The Samsons are a solid set of cans and better detailing of the 2..  The HTF600 has the better bass however. I say just keep the samsons and get a htf600 later...$30 bux? You can find that in your couch maybe.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,901 of 2,849
SR850 are AMAZING 4 gaming like FPS shooters. I play CS 1.6 and have few servers and I never had better HP then SAMSON's 4 gaming.
They are great 4 hearing footsteps and if they had stronger bass the gunshots would be too overwhelming - like in some of my previous HP.
Samson SR850/Superlux 668b and Panasonic HTF600 are prob 2 best buy HP that everybody should have in they collection.
I didn't get Penny's yet [prob next week] and I guess that they are more fun in games in general but SAMSON should be superior in MP Shooters.
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,902 of 2,849

Quote:
Well hold on there partner. The HTF890 is a good open neutral sounding phone with wide stage and decent clarity but they don't come close to a phone like a HD598..Would be awesome if they did. lol!.If you want to get one for a throw around pair I can see that but unfortunately the HTF600 is the better phones out of the 2. For and open phone that is relatively cheap I would try a FA-011.

No, I know that. Despite it being an inferior headphone, I save a bunch of money if I don't go with the HD598s, that's what I meant. Thanks for the other suggestions, looking into the FA-011.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,904 of 2,849

Quote:
I tried to search the thread but could not find it exactly

Can anybody compare these Panasonics to Denon D1100?

These two headphones are very different in some aspects. The HTF600 is a very musical, engaging, fun sounding headphone while D1100 is more analytical, relaxed, almost artificial sounding in some aspects. D1100 is like sitting further back in the audience in a concert hall while with HTF600 you have the front seat. Mids are quite forward sounding on HTF600 and very recessed on D1100. Highs are very uneven on D1100, it's both exaggerated and veiled depending on frequency. D1100 may be a bit bassier in the midbass, but they are quite similar there, both have a punchy fast decay bass, D1100 a bit more so but the D1100 needs some amping if you want to get the deep bass out of it, huge difference unamped vs amped regarding subbass. Soundstage is slightly bigger on D1100 but HTF600 has great positioning though. I personally enjoy HTF600 much more, D1100 wasn't particularly impressive for the price, was quite dissappointed but then again it doesn't have the sound I'm personally looking for which is much more closer to what HTF600 have.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #1,905 of 2,849
So how would these compare to the FA-003/Brainwavz HM5? I was thinking of getting them for my next headphone upgrade but after seeing this well... these are half the price in the UK.

Currently I own the JVC HA-RX700s and my favourite genres are Indie/Alternative/Post-Rock/Instrumental. Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back