The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jan 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,876 of 2,849
So....

After enjoying these for some time, the right driver is starting to die (the sound pops in and out).

Anyone who has heard these headphones and a pair of better quality ones have a recomendation?  I really enjoyed the bass levels of these and would not mind spending a bit more (up to the $300 point for something highly recommended) for a pair that will last longer than a few months.

As a note, I am hard of hearing in my right ear which is likely why that one died first.  I do not have it cranked loud (20-30%) in windows and i have the Sennheiser HZR 62 to reduce the left volume by about 40%.

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #1,879 of 2,849
Hey guys,

I made some changes to my HTF600 - took out the foam and covered every opening that might cause outside leak. At first, I regretted doing the mod. The sound signature became too treble happy and the soundstage is too closed in. But at around 80 hours of use, it changes completely. Vocals had a bit more weight, bass hits harder, the soundstage opens up a lot more and it now has a dark signature. Sounds familiar? I'm really enjoying it especially for those songs with low bit rates. It looks like I'm going to have a shot at the HD650 again someday. 
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,882 of 2,849
So i finally jumped onto the bandwagon and got these today, I must say Im shocked! They are that good...  I also got my Ultrasone HFI-780 yesterday, and I must say I feel a little robbed by paying 5 times as much for the Ultrasones.  The 780s are really good, they have more treble and more clarity... But I find the bass on the 780s somewhat slower and a bit syrupy, while the Pans are quicker....  There is more bass on the Pans as well... These are really fun cans, I must say Im enjoying these just as much as the Ultrasones that I got yesterday... These are also one of the most comfy cans I tried, low clamping force while still being secure, very light compared to the Ultrasones...  Keep in mind these are impressions without burn in so it may change, my only complain so far of the Pans are the highs are a little recessed :)

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,883 of 2,849
I'm still enjoying mine and the driver hasn't become misaligned in quite some time now.  The weirdest most unnerving break in period ever?  I think i'm going to get the ath-m50's next.  I'm hoping that those will sound similar with better isolation and without having to question if they will last.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #1,885 of 2,849

Quote:
Can anyone compare these to the Sony MDR XB700's? I'm considering purchasing the XB700 as an upgrade from the Pannys.
Think it's worth it or should I just save up for a HFI-580?

Sound quality wise I wouldn't see it as an upgrade, the Pannys sound like ~$100 headphones to me and XB700 like 80~$90 if you're a subbass lover.

The Panasonics have better detailed midrange, on XB700 it's more recessed and not as focused on and the soundstage, especially the positioning is a bit better on the panasonic while XB700 also have quite decent sized soundstage.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1,887 of 2,849

Quote:
My right driver experienced tiny rattles. 
confused.gif
 Anyone know a way around this? All I know is that it comes from bass.

Probably a piece of hair on the driver, try remove every hair that you see stuck in the foam cover.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,888 of 2,849

Quote:
Can anyone compare these to the Sony MDR XB700's? I'm considering purchasing the XB700 as an upgrade from the Pannys.
Think it's worth it or should I just save up for a HFI-580?

If your a bass lover go for the HFI-580. The Sonys have good balanced  neutral sounding bass but I wouldn't recommend them for bass lovers. Spend a bit more for the HFI-580. Those are on overstock.com for $135.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,889 of 2,849
Jan 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #1,890 of 2,849

Quote:
Sound quality wise I wouldn't see it as an upgrade, the Pannys sound like ~$100 headphones to me and XB700 like 80~$90 if you're a subbass lover.

The Panasonics have better detailed midrange, on XB700 it's more recessed and not as focused on and the soundstage, especially the positioning is a bit better on the panasonic while XB700 also have quite decent sized soundstage.

Agreed, I have both and the pannies are better all around.  I use xb700 only when I want super subbass and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back