The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #451 of 2,849
...I finally broke down and placed an order on Amazon that came down to $35.59 after shipping and tax. I'm holding off on the Beyer velour pads until later, even though I prefer velour; first, I have to know if these have a sound signature I like. (These cans are mostly recommended by bassheads, and I'm not a basshead to the point that my current preferred headphones may very well be the antithesis of a basshead's dream headphone without EQ. If nothing else, though, these may make a nice foil headphone to my Stax Lambda.)

I suppose getting these boils down to a number of reasons:

-I need to broaden my experience with sound signatures in general.
-Bassier headphones could reveal if there's something wrong with my source setup at the low end, if they extend down to 30 or even 20 Hz.
-The only way to know if the hype is justified is to experience them for myself.
-I need something portable and comfortable. Right now, all I have right now are crappy earbuds, an old, bulky vintage headphone, and a headphone I can't use portably even if I wanted to (unless I get my hands on an SRD-X and the right size batteries), to say nothing of it being far too valuable for me to warrant it leaving the house unless I have a good reason to take it with me. (And they leak sound like a sieve, which doesn't help with portable use in public places.)
-Some people actually find that closed headphones work better for gaming than open headphones, which flies in the face of my experience with the SS-20s and MDR-CD180s. These aren't totally closed, but close enough to count.
-Under $36? I've heard of people buying $300 and up headphones, only to be disappointed by the sound signature! Even if they aren't for me, I'm pretty sure at least one person here will offer to buy them from me.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #452 of 2,849
Nice..These have a very musical warm richness to them and just because they are bass head approved don't mean they will be all bass all the time..In fact they are some of the most versatile headphones in terms of listening to various types of music as well as usability. Drives well on un amped sources. Plays most genres of music perfectly fine actually. These are not the most perfect headphones for all types of music but music with good bass lines just shine on these.  More so than many higher ends.. They are not lacking or recessed in any part of the sound signature and for the cost the definition is actually outstanding. Warm tonality with a full hitting dynamic bass. There is more and more hype on these as the new kid on the block I suppose,  but for good reason. Oh yea and for gaming. Wait till you try them.. Velours plus the HTF600 is a gaming and Movie watching champ.

I think you will like them for being different than what you have. And having a variety of different sounding phones is a good thing Imo. Especially one that sounds this good for the cost of some hamburgers for the family..Let us know how you like them. I know what you are saying about buying expensive HPs only to be disappointed.. How awesome would it be to buy a cheapo HP that cost as much as a Koss porta pro but gives a sound that is more like a $150-$200 phone..Welcome to the HTF600 club.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #453 of 2,849
I appreciate this thread. I found out about the JVC-RX700s from these forums. I am amazed at the sound quality of those. Now I am curious about these Panny's. Hmmm..The thing I really like about my rx700s and my ksc75s is that I find them forward and bright. If I decide to get the Panny's , I hope they offer the same in that department along with the bass that is discussed here. I find my portapro's good with bass but I am not crazy about the brightness of them. How much better are these Panasonic's in comparison to the RX700s ,ksc75s and portapros.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #454 of 2,849
Funny you should post this. I had the amazing RX700 and just got these HTF600. The HTF600 are a great alternative/competitor to the RX700, because they sound very similar, are smaller/more comfortable for long periods of time, and have a bit more clarity and dynamic range. The only thing I can think of that the stock sound of the RX700 do better than that of the HTF600 is slightly better treble extension, and only just. I'd rather have the Pannys over the JVCs for ~$35.

Compared to PortaPros, which I also own, lol, it's no contest. PortaPros are kind of crappy. I love them because they're so ridiculously portable and light while still having OK sound, and I need a headphone like that for on the go. But for home use, they're never taken out. HTF600 > RX700 >>>>>>>> PortaPro.

Quote:
I appreciate this thread. I found out about the JVC-RX700s from these forums. I am amazed at the sound quality of those. Now I am curious about these Panny's. Hmmm..The thing I really like about my rx700s and my ksc75s is that I find them forward and bright. If I decide to get the Panny's , I hope they offer the same in that department along with the bass that is discussed here. I find my portapro's good with bass but I am not crazy about the brightness of them. How much better are these Panasonic's in comparison to the RX700s ,ksc75s and portapros.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #455 of 2,849

Quote:
Funny you should post this. I had the amazing RX700 and just got these HTF600. The HTF600 are a great alternative/competitor to the RX700, because they sound very similar, are smaller/more comfortable for long periods of time, and have a bit more clarity and dynamic range. The only thing I can think of that the stock sound of the RX700 do better than that of the HTF600 is slightly better treble extension, and only just. I'd rather have the Pannys over the JVCs for ~$35.

Compared to PortaPros, which I also own, lol, it's no contest. PortaPros are kind of crappy. I love them because they're so ridiculously portable and light while still having OK sound, and I need a headphone like that for on the go. But for home use, they're never taken out. HTF600 > RX700 >>>>>>>> PortaPro. 

Thanks for your input . I am inching closer to getting the panny's. The JVC are awesome but they are definitely mammoth in size. If the panny's are smaller, thats a positive. You might find it interesting that the Portapro's sound nearly identical to the Ksc75s if you simply remove them from the  headphone band and put clips on them. They become a much brighter headphone by just doing that.  Strange but true. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #456 of 2,849
I have the phones you guys mention. To me there is no comparison. The HTF600 clearly leave the previous budget cans behind..These would be a clear upgrade from those mentioned.. Assimilator702 who has both the HARX700 and the HARX900 and he now finds both of those lacking in comparison the his HTF600s...Spend some quality head time with these cans and there is no way you guys will think these cans cost thier price..

Forget the budget stuff.. These hand my M50, Sony xz700, shure srh440.. CALs  Their lunch and dinner.. I only wish the bass was as good on those as these HTF600s.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #457 of 2,849
Thanks DSNuts, From a guy who use to think Sony earbuds were the best 
redface.gif
 , I guess I am coming a long way. I will take your advice and once I get them , I will be sure to thank you again.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #458 of 2,849
Stupid price and reviews.  Made me go and buy a pair:p.  My first decent pair of headphones (prior to learning of Head-Fi) was the Panasonic RP-HT355.  They had pretty small earcups, but I remember them being quite comfortable due to the drivers being angled and allowing room for my ears, despite the lack of depth of the cups.  Looking forward to hearing them!

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #459 of 2,849
Got um!! I agreed with the guy who said he found high-end Sennheiser boring, just not suited for my particular music, then someone said these were better than the KSC75 well i just had to try them!!
Love them out of the box, despite what people here say, can't imagine once broken in + Velour pads + CMoy
L3000.gif

What I'm hearing here is a Grado WITH BASS which = Perfection! I have yet to try the HD-25 though....

So now there's a grandma out there somewhere walking around with Kramer Modded + headband modded KSC75
biggrin.gif
Honestly i can see myself selling my Grado, they only sound similar with bass boost on the CMoy, but i will try them with the L-cush pads first. If they can hang with the AD700 i'll get rid of those and buy the Fiio E10.

I listened to the album "The Link" by Gojira which for some reason seems to have the sweetest double bass drums i've heard on an album, and had the biggest smile on my face, like the first time i heard my M9 and they were my entry into "head-fi"
bigsmile_face.gif
Then i listen to Katatonia "In the White" which has a nice slow bass line at the beginning and you can just picture the guitar in the room with you. "Basshead" Well i've never tried the XB500 so i wouldn't know, but the sound seems balanced to me. I have tried the M50 and HFI 680 + Denon D2K and i would say these are right there! But i didn't spend too much time with any of them to really analyze anything.....then again i'm no audiophile so i probably wouldn't even know how to analyze the sound...
beerchug.gif

Speaking about the Portapro, for some odd reason i never liked them......

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #460 of 2,849
Dsnuts> Have you ever concidered becoming a marketing guy for Panasonic? You just need to refer them to this thread and they will hire you instantly. 
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #463 of 2,849
Damn these things are cheap in the US. :p Lowest I found was ~£30 on amazon.co.uk where I ordered them from. I wonder WHY they are selling them so cheap? O_o

I'm only getting more and more satisfied as I find the optimal EQ settings (I tweak the values on the EQ I use with 0.1 increment accuracy :p). Oh man wish I could demo them to you guys with my setup, they were great out of box with stock settings but with a little fiddling with the 3rd party soundcard drivers kX Audio that I use for my Audigy 2 ZS that allow much more precise tweaking of the hardware than your standard soundcard, that plus DigiZoid ZO amp on contour lvl 2.... O M G... it reminds me a little of the sound of high quality 2 pair of ~$500 worth per speaker my cousin luckily snatched for like something silly like $50 from some1 who got no idea what they were.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #464 of 2,849

Quote:
Got it for $30 shipped from Provantage! Can't wait...

I guess I placed my order a bit TOO early, because I could have saved about four dollars had I known that Provantage was selling these too, and I can't cancel my order on Amazon now.

(I've heard of Provantage before; it's just that I usually don't think of them selling things that aren't flight simulator controls, and I'm pretty content there already.)

Oh well, it's only a difference of four dollars, and these RP-HTF600s are already said to punch well above their weight. I'll find out for myself next week.

Meanwhile, this Provantage link needs to be on the front page, to give potential buyers another source to look at.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #465 of 2,849
I just got chills from the Muse track "undisclosed desires" on the Resistance album.  Can't wait to try these on more and more music.  Solid $30 purchase.

Amazon came back in stock briefly and snagged it for $30.50 (amazon as the seller).  Their CS upgraded me to next-day shipping b/c I asked nicely and they cancelled my other order of the headphones at the higher $39 price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back