The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 12, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #421 of 2,849

Quote:
Taking out the foam on the inside of the cup covering the middle cup openings (4 small holes) around the "left" and "right" labels and then cover all but the bottom one of those holes with something that air can't get through (for example that shiny tape or like I simply used blutak on the outside of the cup). The foam that is there seems to not let any air out, when you put your ear next to the label you won't hear much sound leaking out at all...

You open the driver casing easily by removing the pads first, then you'll see 2 holes near the grey foam which you just have to pry with a screwdriver. Then you have to unlock it on the other side (there's to pins there as well) as well with a screwdriver that's small enough so you can push the pins from inside outwards to unlock the pins holding it together. Then remove the small piece of foam covering the holes on the back of the cup and leave all but the bottom one uncovered (with all holes open it won't sound great, it'll be too much reverb and highs will sound veiled/masked by lows/lower-mids).

I haven't tried leaving the small side holes open though so it would be 2 holes instead of one, doubt it'll be much difference but that might be worth a try as well. Possibly one could try covering the holes that's higher up, beneath the headband tip too and experiment with that too (my guess soundstage will be worse though). I could imagine that might even increase bass further and it would work more like a bass port design that way, might have to be a little more than one hole open in the middle in that case though.

After thinking of my results modding the HARX900 I'm a bit weary on any mods made to these already excellent performing  headphones.

It doesn't seem necessary to remove the foam strip from the inside of the cup if you're just blocking the holes from the outside.

The foam could be serving an important purpose such as acting as an aperiodic membrane.

Leaving it in allows you to use both methods....stock and modified.

Panasonic put alot of thought into the design of these cans....it's clearly evident from the stock sound..... so I would be very cautious on any mods made to these cans.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #422 of 2,849
The foam is so thick it doesn't let much sound out from the holes if it's there, I mean I didn't even knew there was openings around the left and right labels until I opened it as I didn't hear it when putting my ear next to the cup before, only the holes near the upper edge beneath the headband which aren't covered at all. Just covering the holes without removing it won't do any noticable difference. At least for me this mod was an improvement, they would have sat on the shelf and I'd still have used XB500 if I didn't decide to open them up and see if I find something interesting that would be worth trying which I did. :p Without mod I prefer XB500, with mod and some EQing I prefer the Panasonic.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #424 of 2,849

Quote:
How does this compare to a fostex t50rp without any mods?

Stock T50RP's sound like a headphone with thin weak bass and distant treble. It's a headphone that just basically has mids and very little else. I honestly don't know what the fuss is about with the T50RP, it's a very unbalanced thin sounding headphone stock. Modded, it's supposed to be crazy, but I have HE-500's so I have no need to mod a T50RP, so I sold mine. The Panasonic eats the T50RP stock for lunch in my book if you like bass, warmth, musicality and some smooth treble.

Very best,

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #425 of 2,849

Quote:
The foam is so thick it doesn't let much sound out from the holes if it's there, I mean I didn't even knew there was openings around the left and right labels until I opened it as I didn't hear it when putting my ear next to the cup before, only the holes near the upper edge beneath the headband which aren't covered at all. Just covering the holes without removing it won't do any noticable difference. At least for me this mod was an improvement, they would have sat on the shelf and I'd still have used XB500 if I didn't decide to open them up and see if I find something interesting that would be worth trying which I did. :p Without mod I prefer XB500, with mod and some EQing I prefer the Panasonic.

In an Aperiodic enclosure the material thats used is VERY DENSE. It needs to be able to restrict air movement but still allow some air to pass to control the motion of the driver.

I don't think it's a full blown aperiodic but it is at least a crude form of that concept.

But I am happy you're giving these headphones a shot since they are something very special.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #426 of 2,849
Got these headphones yesterday.
Haven't opened them yet. I'll post comparisons with Shure 750Dj this weekend.
Should be a nice 30$ vs 120$.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #427 of 2,849

Quote:
Got these headphones yesterday.
Haven't opened them yet. I'll post comparisons with Shure 750Dj this weekend.
Should be a nice 30$ vs 120$.

Nice. What you waiting for? You need to bust them open and throw them Bassy tunes on..Burn those in for a fair shake at your Shure 750Djs. They should be a different sounding phone all together. They will compliment your shures for something different. Looking forward to your impressions.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #428 of 2,849
I've started to find the optimal settings for these now, and once again can't believe how amazing these sound for such a low price.

Just remember I'm not the kind of guy that just plug in the headphones and leave em like that.... no... I'm adjusting my ZO amp for the best contour level match for the headphone in particular, I use a custom foobar2000 dolby headphone setup that may get slightly adjusted according to the headphone if necessary and tweak these lovely kX Audio driver settings, mostly the amount reverb (I use a very tiny bit almost indistinguishable amount of reverb to enhance the feeling of being in larger space) that has to be finetuned differently for every headphone due to the nature of their natural reverb in the headphones themselves and of course the lovely EQ which I don't know how I'd survive without for my Audigy 2 ZS (the day I'll be forced to upgrade my DAC will probably be the day when I'll have to buy a high quality hardware EQ as well as the EQ I use does something magical to the sound if using a certain kind of technique) that are all being fineadjusted with 0.1 increment accuracy. :p It usually takes maybe a week or so before I really find the optimal settings (but I can keep finetuning the EQ for months sometimes tho but yea that's usually very small adjustments made at that point) and seems like I'm getting there with the Panasonics now. It's like listening to a properly tuned 5.1 speaker setup rather than a headphone.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #429 of 2,849

Quote:
Nice. What you waiting for? You need to bust them open and throw them Bassy tunes on..Burn those in for a fair shake at your Shure 750Djs. They should be a different sounding phone all together. They will compliment your shures for something different. Looking forward to your impressions.

You know, I am so very excited about these. But i am ~500 miles away from home. Will be there Friday afternoon. Some burn in & then head to head with the Shures. But i've modded my Shures so i'll try to go easy on the Pannys.
I can already feel these are not going to disappoint me :)

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #430 of 2,849
I think this track would be a nice measurement for bass. It's got some low & very fast bass lines. Youtube quality wont do justice so go for flac or 320kbps.Very nice track.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #431 of 2,849
Aha I see.. It is always interesting to see more headfiers get on the HTF600 bandwagon... SO you modded your Shures? More bass I take it? . Aha yet another bass head.. You got the right headphone in the HTF600 if you are biased toward the lower end of the sound spectrum. But what will surprise you is how full and clean everything else sounds on the phones..You need to try this..Once you get those burned in correct, have your friends take a listen and have them guess how much the phones are. It will make you laugh. These phones are just getting around to modding..I ordered another pair just for this purpose I am looking forward throwing down the RPGmod. I will butcher one of my HTF600s for the sake of better sound. Why not.  I absolutely need to keep one stock though. I think that is going to be the best indicator of the sound changes...Welcome to the HTF600 club..Prepared to be surprised by a cheapo Panasonic.Lol..

OH man that track sound awesome sauce with my HTF600s.. You guys should take a listen. Mind numbing bass thump happenin!

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #432 of 2,849

Quote:
Aha I see.. It is always interesting to see more headfiers get on the HTF600 bandwagon... SO you modded your Shures? More bass I take it? . Aha yet another bass head.. You got the right headphone in the HTF600 if you are biased toward the lower end of the sound spectrum. But what will surprise you is how full and clean everything else sounds on the phones..You need to try this..Once you get those burned in correct, have your friends take a listen and have them guess how much the phones are. It will make you laugh. These phones are just getting around to modding..I ordered another pair just for this purpose I am looking forward throwing down the RPGmod. I will butcher one of my HTF600s for the sake of better sound. Why not.  I absolutely need to keep one stock though. I think that is going to be the best indicator of the sound changes...Welcome to the HTF600 club..Prepared to be surprised by a cheapo Panasonic.Lol..

OH man that track sound awesome sauce with my HTF600s.. You guys should take a listen. Mind numbing bass thump happenin!

Thanks to you Dsnuts. You are the reason why this 30$ awesomeness got uncovered. It's so nice to see cheap products outclassing pricier ones. I'll be verrry happy if this is even on par with 750DJ & for 30$ this would be just ridiculous
& yes i do prefer dark & smooth sound very much  but not actually a basshead :))

My friends..hahahha..they are anaemic to anything apart from Bose & apple buds.
Once i told my fiend to get something better than the white buds to do some justice to his Ipod touch.
He said "The level of bass & clarity you get with these is unmatched...." My brain almost died for a second :)))

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #433 of 2,849
Yea these HTF600 especially with the mod handles that bass very well, very controlled but thumpy bass. :) With the settings I use I don't only hear but actually feel every bassnote in my ear like it would tickle my ear every 0.3-0.5 for a split sec or something, yet doesn't sound bloated/slow and can keep well up with the fast pace. That's the beauty with these headphones, well at least with the mod, big impact but without the bloat that's usually associated with headphones with huge bass impact.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #434 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks to you Dsnuts. You are the reason why this 30$ awesomeness got uncovered. It's so nice to see cheap products outclassing pricier ones. I'll be verrry happy if this is even on par with 750DJ & for 30$ this would be just ridiculous
& yes i do prefer dark & smooth sound very much  but not actually a basshead :))

Well lets see. These are some of the HPs people own that end up loving these just to name a few..The HD650, ShureSRH940, Dre Beats, studios, I personally like them over my Shure SRH440, Sony ZX700 and M50s. They aren't gonna replace your favorites but you bet they will get just as much head time if not more. I was telling a AT M50 owner on another thread how he might end up liking these better.. I wasn't kidding on that..Warm sounding and with tracks like the one you threw up just perfect.  

Quote:
Yea these HTF600 especially with the mod handles that bass very well, very controlled but thumpy bass. :) With the settings I use I don't only hear but actually feel every bassnote in my ear like it would tickle my ear every 0.3-0.5 for a split sec or something, yet doesn't sound bloated/slow and can keep well up with the fast pace. That's the beauty with these headphones, well at least with the mod, big impact but without the bloat that's usually associated with headphones with huge bass impact.

Very soon man. I will try out the mod for myself..I might be ahead of my self but. I was looking at some of those Fisher wood cups they sell online.. WOOD with these? Can a man just imagen?

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #435 of 2,849

Quote:

Very encouraging impressions. I would definitely do the modding after 2-3 days of use. The mod appears to be reversible so no harm. Bass shouldn't be bloated whatever be the quantity, that's what i prefer.
Can you please tell if the modding impacts overall clarity ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back