The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #436 of 2,849

Quote:
Can you please tell if the modding impacts overall clarity ?

It impacts it in a GOOD way, you get more forward midrange, especially I thought female vocals sounded just tiny bit too distant/recessed for my liking without the mod (I prefer very forward/"in-your-face" midrange) so the mids get clearer. The bass gets tiny bit more impact/strength but at the same time more controlled, less midrange bleed and slightly less reverb to it (so it sounds a little snappier/punchier). The highs remain about the same as without mod. It's all about how much you leave the openings uncovered after having removed the inside foam, leave all holes uncovered actually results in worse clarity than stock due to very veiled highs and way too much reverb while completely covering all holes will result in a more "lifeless"/analytical sound, brighter than stock and less bass as well as smaller soundstage. I got the best result like this when leaving bottom hole + 1.5 ~ 2 mm of one of those sideholes open like in the pic below. Electrical tape on the inside would probably work/look best. I just used blutak on the outside so I could easily test whether how much I should leave uncovered for best result. :p

(click pic to see fullsize)

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #437 of 2,849
Forward Mids....I AM IN!!
I modded the shure750 for same.

With forward mids, it feels as if the sound is big & powerful, just as i like.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #438 of 2,849

Quote:
Forward Mids....I AM IN!!
I modded the shure750 for same.

With forward mids, it feels as if the sound is big & powerful, just as i like.

Yep that's exactly what I'd describe this HTF600 with that mod and the quality is amazing for the price. I have done some software tweaking to it after that tho like I do with every headphone to further exaggerate my preferred sound signature but even without any tweaking (EQ and such) it'll be very close to that preferred sound signature of mine with strong bass response but very forward mids and pretty neutral/smooth highs (I hate emphasized highs). A slanting frequency response that got both bass and mids more "forward" than neutral while highs stay on a rather "neutral" level. 

For some people the mids could even tend to get too forward I'd imagine like that but you can always adjust it a little with how much you leave the holes uncovered, if it gets too much you could start with only leaving the bottom hole open and possible try cover it partially if necessary even.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #439 of 2,849
Heya,

I have some blu-tack and other goodies on the way, should be here in 2 days, so I can mess around with my 2nd pair, compare, and then do the comparisons of modded with velour pads, etc. I'm excited to see how much this phone comes alive more so than it already does stock.

Very best,

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #440 of 2,849
Will look forward to hearing more input on this. :) Well it's a matter of taste but if you like forward mids then you'll like this mod and they come out very clearly so, like I had been fiddling around with an EQ to get that optimal result I'm looking for when tweaking a headphone that doesn't have this forward and clear midrange out of box. There's a huge change I reckon around 1~2kHz or so especially, some songs that emphasize this area sound almost too "nasal" due to how much more forward the frequencies have gotten in that area which helps especially for female vocals but yea I wouldn't say too much, just the suitable amount in my ears.

I just wish I'd be able to demo them to you guys at my place tho so you could hear how it sounds like with DigiZoid ZO amp + EQ I use, in my ears it's a huge improvement, something I'd concider worth 220~$250 sound. :p

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #441 of 2,849
30 pages after... I am in, just ordered the Panas from amazon.co.uk. They will be fighting against my current stable: Senn HD600, AIAIAI TMA-1 and Denon D-1001. Sources Iriver H140 + Heastage Arrow 3G. I´ll let you know how they compare after a long burn in (I am a believer).

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #442 of 2,849
I received my Panas yesterday, and I'm loving the treble (I'm using velour pads), and burn-in will be in my head as usual.
Amazing sound for the price.
I'm waiting for the Fischer Audio FA-011 to make a comparison

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #443 of 2,849
I already had my first grattle attack on these headphones! Grattle is among the most evil things that can happen in the land of head-fi. :x With the colorisation I add to it I wouldn't be too suprised if some headphones might not handle this very very forward/"powerful" sound that the poor drivers have to deal with so I'm always extra worried when I've started to use a new headphone. Some headphones are easier prone to grattle than others, I don't remember having any issues with XB500 whatsoever even if quite a few piece of hair were lying on the driver-covering foam but this foam is the softer type which a hair more easily goes through.

Oh and explosions in Deus Ex Human Revolution sounds really strong with these headphones, it's so strong compared to the rest of the sounds in the game I get even a little worried about the driver is gonna jump out of its place soon. :p I just started playing this game and there was this room I walked into a little too quick and it was loaded with 3 mines which exploded at the same time in my face and it scared the crap out of me and I like literally jumped a little in my chair as I didn't notice them at all before the BOOOOMMM. xD

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #445 of 2,849

Quote:
30 pages after... I am in, just ordered the Panas from amazon.co.uk. They will be fighting against my current stable: Senn HD600, AIAIAI TMA-1 and Denon D-1001. Sources Iriver H140 + Heastage Arrow 3G. I´ll let you know how they compare after a long burn in (I am a believer).

We praise these on the mountain top. We all believe! Nice welcome to the HTF600 club where you can throw out any ideas you had about budget HPs..You will believe more once you burn them.. Very interested in how you see these among your high end phones. They won't replace them but they will surprise you. For the price these should be in everyones collection. It is a crime not to have one..

Quote:
I received my Panas yesterday, and I'm loving the treble (I'm using velour pads), and burn-in will be in my head as usual.
Amazing sound for the price.
I'm waiting for the Fischer Audio FA-011 to make a comparison

I noticed that too with the velours. They peel back just small layer of the highs and they end up sounding a bit more defined..Burn them my friend.. Burn away.. Then throw down your bass tracks for a blast of musical enjoyment. And in the end that is what it is all about.

Quote:
I already had my first grattle attack on these headphones! Grattle is among the most evil things that can happen in the land of head-fi. :x With the colorisation I add to it I wouldn't be too suprised if some headphones might not handle this very very forward/"powerful" sound that the poor drivers have to deal with so I'm always extra worried when I've started to use a new headphone. Some headphones are easier prone to grattle than others, I don't remember having any issues with XB500 whatsoever even if quite a few piece of hair were lying on the driver-covering foam but this foam is the softer type which a hair more easily goes through.

Oh and explosions in Deus Ex Human Revolution sounds really strong with these headphones, it's so strong compared to the rest of the sounds in the game I get even a little worried about the driver is gonna jump out of its place soon. :p I just started playing this game and there was this room I walked into a little too quick and it was loaded with 3 mines which exploded at the same time in my face and it scared the crap out of me and I like literally jumped a little in my chair as I didn't notice them at all before the BOOOOMMM. xD

I suggested a guy that was looking for a phone to game with to these and everyone else on the thread is like. What is this??

Quote:
What is grattle and is this something a non audiophile will even notice?

That sounds like when you get something in the driver.. Hair/dust/dead insects. And you get that sound like it is tearing. No? Or is it a symptom of how you feel when you eat one too many burritos.?

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #446 of 2,849
In my case hair had found it's way to the driver through the soft foam, ie. sounds like driver would be damaged cuz it distorts with bass due to a piece of hair is vibrating like mad from the low frequencies which sounds suprisingly similar to a damaged driver/distorted/clipped sound. Evil stuff, I bet the people with $1000+ headphones are even more happier hearing it. :p

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #447 of 2,849
Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum for awhile and this is my first post btw.,

After reading over 30 pages,you guys convince me to get on this bandwagoon, so I bought Panasonic RP-HTF600 from Amazon with a pair of velour pads last night. I can't wait to try them on, my current set up is Denon D5000 with iBasso D2 Boa. I'm not expecting it to be in the same league as D5000 but as long as as it can sound decent to my ears I'll be happy.

Thanks for info guys.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #448 of 2,849

Quote:
Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum for awhile and this is my first post btw.,
After reading over 30 pages,you guys convince me to get on this bandwagoon, so I bought Panasonic RP-HTF600 from Amazon with a pair of velour pads last night. I can't wait to try them on, my current set up is Denon D5000 with iBasso D2 Boa. I'm not expecting it to be in the same league as D5000 but as long as as it can sound decent to my ears I'll be happy.
Thanks for info guys.

I just got the Denon D2000 myself..I think the HTF600s will surprise you. There are some similarities on the sounds vs the Denons..These are a fun sounding cans and while not high end..They just sound fantastic with bassier type music..Let us know how you like them..Please do burn them in a good 24 hours solid before taking a listen and then up to at least 50 for full break in.  Once done the bass will come out to play.   Again these won't replace your high end cans but listening to music on these is a kick in the booty and will be a nice compliment to your collection. Using your iBasso will bring out some more to play.!

One tip on the Beyer velour pads.. I would actually try the original pads on them first to see if you like the original sounds over the velours..There are a few guys that like the origional pleather sounds more so than the velours. So I suppose it is a matter of preference.. They just feel like pillows on your head with the velours however. What not to like haha.

Welcome to head fi.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #449 of 2,849
Just ordered the RP-HTF600-S with the Velour pads.
When they get here I'll test them (after break in) against my DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm and HD-558.

Just noticed that Panasonic does not list this model on their U.S.A. website?

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #450 of 2,849

Quote:
Just ordered the RP-HTF600-S with the Velour pads.
When they get here I'll test them (after break in) against my DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm and HD-558.

Just noticed that Panasonic does not list this model on their U.S.A. website?

I was looking into getting some Dt-770 pros myself. I am very interested in your take on these compared to them. Seems the Pro- 80 model is harder to find now a days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back