The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #481 of 2,849
Last night I ordered the RP-HTF600-S (and the Velour pads), this morning they sent me a nicely worded email that the HTF-600s are out of stock and will restock in 5-7 days.
They offered to back order or I could cancel, so canceled.
(Their website still shows something like 16 cans in stock)
(the Velour pads have already shipped)
Then I placed an order with a business in southern California (website showed 15 in stock), I live in northern California.
10 minutes later the order shows up listed as back order.
Called them, they are out of stock in their California location, but could ship out of their eastern U.S.A. location (which is already closed today) on Monday, so I canceled that order.
Placed a third order with another southern California business, their website claims their California warehouse has 14 in stock and they can ship today.
Hopefully third (order) is a charm.

Update, I only placed the order 20 minutes ago and their site now lists that the order has "Shipped Via Fedex Smartpost" from their California location.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #482 of 2,849
Do note that the velour pads require a little stretching to get 'em on.  It's mentioned earlier in the thread, thought a reminder was needed.

I was afraid of damaging them, but after a few minutes of careful fidgeting got 'em on.  I did increase force as I got more frustrated, but no damage 
biggrin.gif

Comfort of the velours is sooooo worth it.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #483 of 2,849
Just order from Amazon (make sure Amazon.com is the seller) at the $30.50 price.  It said 1-2 month wait when I ordered, but was quickly upgraded and only took a week from order to arrival.

Plus, they'll have at least one going back to them in five days as I refused shipment on the first pair I bought at the higher $39 price so that I could snag them for $30.

Quote:
Last night I ordered the RP-HTF600-S (and the Velour pads), this morning they sent me a nicely worded email that the HTF-600s are out of stock and will restock in 5-7 days.
They offered to back order or I could cancel, so canceled.
(Their website still shows something like 16 cans in stock)
(the Velour pads have already shipped)
Then I placed an order with a business in southern California (website showed 15 in stock), I live in northern California.
10 minutes later the order shows up listed as back order.
Called them, they are out of stock in their California location, but could ship out of their eastern U.S.A. location (which is already closed today) on Monday, so I canceled that order.
Placed a third order with another southern California business, their website claims their California warehouse has 14 in stock and they can ship today.
Hopefully third (order) is a charm.

Update, I only placed the order 20 minutes ago and their site now lists that the order has "Shipped Via Fedex Smartpost" from their California location.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #484 of 2,849

Quote:
Just order from Amazon (make sure Amazon.com is the seller) at the $30.50 price.  It said 1-2 month wait when I ordered, but was quickly upgraded and only took a week from order to arrival.
Plus, they'll have at least one going back to them in five days as I refused shipment on the first pair I bought at the higher $39 price so that I could snag them for $30.

Thru the amazon website (ANTonline) was the first one I ordered from ($25+$8=$33).
ANTonline was very professional in the way they handle the whole situation.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #485 of 2,849
They seem to be on at the moment. I wonder how long it will be until the MSRP will be bloated. It is surprising they haven't upped the price to the normal MSRP of $60. .

@gelocks. You can say hey there is huge demand for them now so the price just went up to $60 as they aren't available.haha.
You are a good man gelocks. You let your friends try them out and then sell your pair that is letting others in on some good sounds for cheap.

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #486 of 2,849
I ordered these online off of Amazon (ANTOnline) last night and will be using them in an experiment, but the reason I bring it up is because I also own the Sennheiser HD-25 II's and Shure 750dj's, and will be borrowing a pair of Dr. Dre Studios shortly to use them and these Panasonics in my testing. So while I'm doing that, I might possibly be able to throw in some comparisons of the headphones if possible. I'm not very good with those things on a true audiophile level, but I could try and provide some information and comparisons with them and my other headphones.

Also:
I skimmed your review. You say these are bassy headphones, correct? I needed something with good bass response to compare with.

And I don't mean to go off topic, but while I'm mentioning the Beats, I pulled up a headroom FR graph:
I don't want to sound stupid but, is it a bad thing for the Dre's to just drop off so quickly like that in the lower frequencies (sub-bass?)?

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #487 of 2,849
Yea the bass is strong, probably talking about a 10~12dB or so boost, maybe slightly bassier than Beats Studios even (at the highest peak, it will obviously start roll-off maybe around 40Hz a little). But they also allow mids and highs to play well together with that strong bass response and the bass is VERY controlled for the huge quantity, even more so if you do the simple mod I did without sacrificing bass quantity, more like the opposite you maybe get a little more impact even.

EDIT: Yes it's a known fact that the Beats Studios have poor bass extension and cuts off quickly below 30Hz. It's a headphone focusing on midbass (around 80~150Hz or so) mainly as that gives the biggest sense of impact. You'll maybe hear it down to 25Hz or so and it'll be silent below that, my ears are capable to hear down to 15Hz (tested with Sony XB500, normal listening volume).

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #488 of 2,849

Quote:
Yea the bass is strong, probably talking about a 10~12dB or so boost, maybe slightly bassier than Beats Studios even (at the highest peak, it will obviously start roll-off maybe around 40Hz a little). But they also allow mids and highs to play well together with that strong bass response and the bass is VERY controlled for the huge quantity, even more so if you do the simple mod I did without sacrificing bass quantity, more like the opposite you maybe get a little more impact even.

EDIT: Yes it's a known fact that the Beats Studios have poor bass extension and cuts off quickly below 30Hz. It's a headphone focusing on midbass (around 80~150Hz or so) mainly as that gives the biggest sense of impact. You'll maybe hear it down to 25Hz or so and it'll be silent below that, my ears are capable to hear down to 15Hz (tested with Sony XB500, normal listening volume).

Oh, do you know anything I can use to test my own ability to hear low frequencies? Any site that has files for frequencies? Apparently my Shures have a FR of 5Hz-30kHz, and I tried the higher frequencies myself and could hear up to 18kHz
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #489 of 2,849

Quote:
I ordered these online off of Amazon (ANTOnline) last night and will be using them in an experiment, but the reason I bring it up is because I also own the Sennheiser HD-25 II's and Shure 750dj's, and will be borrowing a pair of Dr. Dre Studios shortly to use them and these Panasonics in my testing. So while I'm doing that, I might possibly be able to throw in some comparisons of the headphones if possible. I'm not very good with those things on a true audiophile level, but I could try and provide some information and comparisons with them and my other headphones.
Also:
I skimmed your review. You say these are bassy headphones, correct? I needed something with good bass response to compare with.
And I don't mean to go off topic, but while I'm mentioning the Beats, I pulled up a headroom FR graph:
I don't want to sound stupid but, is it a bad thing for the Dre's to just drop off so quickly like that in the lower frequencies (sub-bass?)?

I also ordered the HTF600-S last night (Amazon, ANTonline), they emailed me today that it would be on back order for a week.
Might want to check the status of your order.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #490 of 2,849

Quote:

Oh, do you know anything I can use to test my own ability to hear low frequencies? Any site that has files for frequencies? Apparently my Shures have a FR of 5Hz-30kHz, and I tried the higher frequencies myself and could hear up to 18kHz
rolleyes.gif

There's bunch of softwares around that can create specified sine wave frequencies. But I've heard not all of them produce clean notes, especially at the very low frequencies, you get additional distortion that shouldn't be there. Test Tone Generator is by far the software I've tried that produces the cleanest tones and got a nice GUI with good configurability. It's only 30 days trial but that should give you plenty of time anyway http://www.esseraudio.com/test-tone-generator-windows-software-generate-test-signal-sine-pink-noise-crest-factor.html

When testing your/the headphones' low frequencies hearing ability you should be aware of NOT paying attention to additional "distortion" or extra noise you may be hearing cuz of a driver flexing or the sound of air moving or the inability of headphone to produce a clean tone etc. You only hear / the headphone is capable of the frequency if it's a clean singletoned frequency, compare say a 30Hz tone and imagine that tone but lower in pitch. It's common to hear additional stuff down low that may sound like for example a very silent "helicopter" kind of sound for example and this isn't the bass you want to hear.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #491 of 2,849
So I've let these burn in for about 35 hours now and they sound so much better especially when bass is concerned. I sold my DT880's to buy the Denon D2000's, but after reading this thread I decided to try the Panasonic's and I am perfectly happy with the sound of the Panasonic's. My wallet is even happier! Thinking of just buying a 2nd pair for the velour pads. Again thanks to to everyone for this awesome recommendation.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #492 of 2,849

Quote:
I also ordered the HTF600-S last night (Amazon, ANTonline), they emailed me today that it would be on back order for a week.
Might want to check the status of your order. 

Ugh. Just wonderful. I can get so impatient waiting for online transactions.
triportsad.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #493 of 2,849
Yeah, I just picked up a pair of these myself and  it is a massive upgrade from the HD201 that I was using beforehand for not much more money. I'm very happy with this set of cans so far. I'll have to see just how much of a difference there will be once fully broken in. 

These are also very comfortable. Even though the pleather pads aren't bad I think that I'm going to spring for the velour pads

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #494 of 2,849

Quote:

It's common to hear additional stuff down low that may sound like for example a very silent "helicopter" kind of sound for example and this isn't the bass you want to hear.

Please elaborate. Do you mean unhealthy to listen to or a sign of bad bass reproduction?

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #495 of 2,849
You might want to give Provantage a shot. I ordered my pair for just over $30 after shipping late Wednesday and they showed up Today. I've heard mixed reviews about Antonline anyways. Provantage is a great company I've used them a few times now.

Quote:
Ugh. Just wonderful. I can get so impatient waiting for online transactions.
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back