The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Oct 26, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #198 of 1,278
6" longer, that will please many!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #202 of 1,278
Technically better, bigger driver 11 mm vs 7 mm, better removable cables,Tesla technology, to name few.
I am yet to try them both but even without trying Xelento would do for me.

Bigger driver does not mean it will be a better earphone

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #204 of 1,278
Definitely not, but the technology behind it makes sense to me.

That makes sense but it still doesn’t mean it will be the better earphone, tuning plays a part as does the users own preference.
I’ve owned iem’s that are supposedly better due to this and that and they have been very disappointing.

Ultimately as we all know the only real way of knowing is to either try both and choose or decide on one and accept it for what it is.

For me the IE800s is a clear step up from the IE800, to my ears the trebles seem a bit less harsh but more detailed, there is also a certain energy they give to my music that none of my current or past iem’s can match.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #206 of 1,278
Definitely not, but the technology behind it makes sense to me.

I don't get why you find the xelento to be technically better. There really isn't any hard information about the tesla tech. Sure it sounds amazing 'tesla' technology but what really is it? Even the chassis is a thin plastic. And that just really goes against any standard speaker design principles of an inert cabinet with internal bracing. Sennheiser doesn't have such fanciful branding but if what they tell us is to be trusted, the chassis is specifically shaped to deal with resonances, with these chamber/resonator thingies which I don't claim to understand which specifically aim to target common resonances which the ear canal develop. That and a solid ceramic housing really tells me that the IE800/800s just seems really to go back down to fundamental engineering principles, and thus I would go as far as to argue that the Sennheiser seems like a far better Engineered transducer.

That said, I'm not a fan of the IE800. I prefer the sound of the xelento. I Guess you know what that means. That the engineering that goes behind the product matters, but our understanding as consumers is really limited if we aren't all that engineering savvy and we don't open it up and analyse it for ourselves assuming we know sound and engineering, marketing is but marketing.

Then there's also the issue of sound preferences an what not.

This is why I was a little disappointed with the IE800, because I expected something great and it wasnt to my liking.

This is also Why im so excited about the IE800S

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #208 of 1,278
And if you try and IE800S is better, will your brain explode?

That is exactly what this hobby is all about. We already have the best stuff but we desire our head to explode from something new. This new sadly only lasts a month if we are lucky.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #209 of 1,278
Technically better, bigger driver 11 mm vs 7 mm, better removable cables,Tesla technology, to name few.
I am yet to try them both but even without trying Xelento would do for me.

That's not a very well-informed comparison.

Size is only one factor in a dynamic driver, not the only one.

Edit: I see people have already mentioned this, as well as the fact that "tesla tech" is marketing drivel.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #210 of 1,278
So, I've here now the IE800s and the Xelento.

I made a very short test and: don't know.. it seems to me that (sorry for the noob language) the Xelento are much more "open", "immediate" and "energic", the music is exactly "in" my head, while the IE800s are more "boring" and the music is "around" my head. I've to test it better but for now I would say that the Xelento to me sounds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back