1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. soundblast75
    Obvious answer..800s:smile_phones:
    Not better btw, but a matter of preference for sure..xelenos are softer mellower and smoother bass that extends great with great wide soundstage. 800s are snappier and more like the speaker system of my tastes, but both iems sound like speakers anyway.
    Agree about cables but im perfectly happy with Senns offer..now i just need to get those 15%back.a bit of a fight with Senn in Ireland at the mo..
    Bass and sound does change after only a few hours,
    I actually think ive got my audio nirvana/portability with zx300 800S, top choice!

2. Sc00p
    If the microphonics are reduced, then it's only a little. Seemed about the same to me using both in a silent room. Still hear the noise when the y split roles around. The included clip certainly helps this.

About the presentation described above. I tend to agree. The oval tips have been replaced by the complys. Why not include the ovals too. The wax remover has been removed. Also, for my personal taste. Side by side i think the original looks more expensive. The little metal details on the Y and the input connector have been removed, i just think the new design, although virtually identical looks a little cheaper. The shorter wire of the original was a better fit for me, but i understand that i am in the minority being of hobbit stature. They did include 2 other balanced cables. that adds value to me as i have a balanced amp so can make use of one of them.

Now to what matters, the sound. I have had a good 4 or 5 hours of listening. I am very happy. It is the honeymoon period, so take my impressions as that. But i am really liking these, more musical too me. The bass like said above is "controlled and meaty". "treble is slightly smooth without losing the excitement". The zing that could tickle my ear is gone.
    In some tracks i think the original has a little more mid bass, but the S has less hump and goes deeper stronger. I like the bass more on the S. Also because the treble is more refined, some voices definitely sound clearer too me. Especially girls. That zing could mask. Now its gone, i can hear.

No secret remorse at the moment, and looking at the originals on the table, will have no problem selling on. Let's hope this feeling stays.

Back in a week or two with a better less biased impression.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  3. musicday
    I would like to believe you but I heard you saying this story before:)
    Maybe we can meet snd try them with my Tera Player.
    Anyway i am glad that you like IE800 s in the end.

4. soundblast75
    Sure.long due

5. AndrewH13
    Listening to Cosmograf’s 2017 album, The Hey Man Dreams. Using Fiio X5 coax into Hugo 2 with crossfeed at minimum setting. At two extremes, the bass guitar kicks in and I can only describe the feeling you get at a live gig, deep and disturbing. Then some soft acoustic guitar sounds as natural as can be. What a combination, I’m starting to wonder if my Noble Katana can sound like this ie800S, but that’s for another day.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. YorkshireBloke
    The soundstage is interesting.

As I've increased the treble (in my default eq setting), the soundstage is definitely wide rather than 'deep'....to me it sounds like you are almost right in the middle of the performance (it's not like you are sat back in the audience if that makes sense). This gives a stunning stereo effect in some recordings, especially in pop/electronic type music. It's crisp and clear, it's bites, and it's exactly what I hoped for.

For 'live' recordings and classical, a little more 'depth' is better for me, I like to hear the music more 'in front' of me in these performances. ( I'm still experimenting with tips, insertion depth, eq settings etc). So when I switch to 'direct mode' on the Sony dap (flat eq) the soundstage does then become deeper and the performance is further away, like I'm sat halfway back in the concert hall. But then I start to miss some of the hard treble 'bite' which I absolutely love. It's ultimately a trade off determined by the laws of acoustics!

Changing the eq settings vastly alters the soundstage depth and width, and gives options for me to tinker with.

Height - nothing of note, it's fine.

And those incredible details just keep popping out....

7. Dobrescu George
    Interestring!

Sounds like they toned down the treble a bit, wondering if it is toned down too much, judging from what everybody is saying so far.

Hope I can hear them pretty soon asd well!

8. Deftone
    It’s not that drastic only slight, the treble sounds the best from Hugo 2 imo, it’s exciting and precise.

AndrewH13 and Dobrescu George like this.
  9. AndrewH13
    Haven’t noticed it toned down. Certainly not from Questyle or Hugo2. I was expecting slightly softer treble from Mojo yesterday, if from anything, but on the album I listened to, didn’t notice any smoothing, cymbals still had a crispness I like. Think you will love ie800S George, it just has a ‘rightness’ about it.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  10. AndrewH13
    Us early adopters will look pretty silly if official reviews pan it! Haven’t seen anything yet, very strange. Are Sennheiser a company who don’t send out any pre-release units to magazines and review sites?

11. BigAund
    Poor accessory pack excepted, I think they're pretty special sounding. Certainly my best sounding in ear (amongst my mid level customs Merlin, CE6P, Pro 330v2, Savanna).

I don't like the cable - it feels flimsy, and its microphonic - I'm actually not that bothered by the fact its not removable, but for nearly 1K, I expect better. General Packaging was rubbish too - didn't feel premium.

12. Deftone
    Packaging is quite weak overall. Here’s what I would liked to see;

Redesigned premium leather case
    Some weight shaved off the y connector
    Far greater tip selection
    Metal accents and metal jack
    Large accessories case to hold iems, dap etc (similar to west one W80)

13. Dobrescu George
    I havent' heard anything. I don't think we have a store sample yet, with the official dealer in Romania, maybe IE800S is being sold already, but didn't official start as a IEM, so it is in a situation more like "Early production", while it will take more time for it to reach the proper outlets (?)

Also @Sennheiser , we invite you to the official thread for IE800S! :darthsmile:

AndrewH13 likes this.
  14. Ahmad313
    +1 , nice ,

15. musicday
    Everyone seem to be focusing on IE800 s now, we shall see few Xelentos for sale in near future:)

Sennheiser likes this.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last