The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 30, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #10,651 of 10,994
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #10,652 of 10,994
Any know how well these pair with njc reference audio series amplifier, Link: http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/mobile/html/headphoneamplifer.html

I just got my beyerdynamic t1's a couple days ago and heard good thing's about this amp. One thing I'm finding with the T1's is they can be pretty harsh with the timber and painful at times to listen to.

1- Is your serial number below 3000?
2- Can you share a few of the recordings you find harsh on the T1? (names or youtube links would work)
3- Do you listen to music at moderate levels or very loud?

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #10,653 of 10,994
2- Can you share a few of the recordings you find harsh on the T1? (names or youtube links would work)

I've also noticed that placement of the headphones on the head makes a huge difference with the level of treble one hears, most likely an unfortunate side-effect of the angled driver. When I first got mine I was wearing them too low and too far back. I found that the vertical and horizontal positioning really changed the level of the high (noticeably around the 6K peak) and really high (noticeably around the ~11K peak) treble*. Songs like Beastie Boys - Paul Revere went from hurtin' to feelin' good.

*At work and can't remember which did which, but pull up a sine wave at 6K or 11K and it will be quite clear.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #10,654 of 10,994

.The serial number is above 3000
. This one by young thug is a good example:
. Difficult to say, my phone app decibel meter is rating it at around 65 to 70 decibels. However a phone app is probably not the most accurate measuring tool. :beyersmile:

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #10,655 of 10,994
.The serial number is above 3000
. This one by young thug is a good example: Young Thoug - WJ
. Difficult to say, my phone app decibel meter is rating it at around 65 to 70 decibels. However a phone app is probably not the most accurate measuring tool. :beyersmile:

Well, it should be noted that the T1 is a reference headphone intended for top class recordings and critical listening.
More often than not, playing mainstream music that's unnaturally mastered/compressed at the studio won't yield the best results.
The provided song has a dynamic range that's under 7, that's not good. You'll find worse too.

In my experience, headphones with softer treble presence like the Sennheiser HD650 and the Audeze LCD series tend to make a better match for these type of recordings.

I've also noticed that placement of the headphones on the head makes a huge difference with the level of treble one hears, most likely an unfortunate side-effect of the angled driver. When I first got mine I was wearing them too low and too far back. I found that the vertical and horizontal positioning really changed the level of the high (noticeably around the 6K peak) and really high (noticeably around the ~11K peak) treble*. Songs like Beastie Boys - Paul Revere went from hurtin' to feelin' good.

*At work and can't remember which did which, but pull up a sine wave at 6K or 11K and it will be quite clear.

Sure, they should be wear in such a way that you leave some space from the driver to your ears so the sound can develop properly.
Otherwise you're too close to the driver and that will change the tonal balance.

The T1 has a peak at 8kHz, I haven't measured a peak at 11kHz.
Most T1 measurements I've seen including my own show almost no boost at 6kHz over 1kHz level. Unlike DT880 or HD800 for instance.
Keep in mind we all have different ears and sensitivity to frequencies so you might be sensitive to 6kHz and 11kHz.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #10,656 of 10,994
Sure, they should be wear in such a way that you leave some space from the driver to your ears so the sound can develop properly.
Otherwise you're too close to the driver and that will change the tonal balance.

The T1 has a peak at 8kHz, I haven't measured a peak at 11kHz.
Most T1 measurements I've seen including my own show almost no boost at 6kHz over 1kHz level. Unlike DT880 or HD800 for instance.
Keep in mind we all have different ears and sensitivity to frequencies so you might be sensitive to 6kHz and 11kHz.

It doesn't have nearly the 6K spike of the HD800, but it's there. Or perhaps a more accurate description is it has relative dips at 5K and 7K, which cause a perceived spike at 6K, I don't know. It's also quite possible it's my ears, driver variability, or that I'm simply misremembering where I noticed the effect. Guess I'll have to try it out again when I get home.

Regardless, the main point I'm trying to make is the angled drivers appear to make this headphone particularly sensitive to the placement of the headphone. I can shift around my DT880s or HD650s and while there is (unsurprisingly) some difference, it's far more subtle.

upload_2018-1-30_16-38-11.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #10,657 of 10,994
It doesn't have nearly the 6K spike of the HD800, but it's there. Or perhaps a more accurate description is it has relative dips at 5K and 7K, which cause a perceived spike at 6K, I don't know. It's also quite possible it's my ears, driver variability, or that I'm simply misremembering where I noticed the effect. Guess I'll have to try it out again when I get home.

Regardless, the main point I'm trying to make is the angled drivers appear to make this headphone particularly sensitive to the placement of the headphone. I can shift around my DT880s or HD650s and while there is (unsurprisingly) some difference, it's far more subtle.

It's ~6K and ~9.2K (probably just my variation of the ~8K spike) being affected by vertical and horizontal placement, respectively.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #10,658 of 10,994
Well, it should be noted that the T1 is a reference headphone intended for top class recordings and critical listening.
More often than not, playing mainstream music that's unnaturally mastered/compressed at the studio won't yield the best results.
The provided song has a dynamic range that's under 7, that's not good. You'll find worse too.

In my experience, headphones with softer treble presence like the Sennheiser HD650 and the Audeze LCD series tend to make a better match for these type of recordings.

But I guess the question is now that I've got the headphones, and I want to keep them for the genre of music I listen to will this amp help me to get the best out of them. Or would you recommend a different amp in this scenario?

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #10,659 of 10,994
But I guess the question is now that I've got the headphones, and I want to keep them for the genre of music I listen to will this amp help me to get the best out of them. Or would you recommend a different amp in this scenario?

You can get a very high quality EQ like DMG Equality to tweak wisely the response to your preference.
Or you can get a Multibit DAC from Schiit Audio which are known for being warm and soft sounding (ModiMB or BifrostMB)Y
You can try a Violectric amplifier instead, which are also known for being slightly warm sounding among SS gear.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #10,664 of 10,994
Is it safe to do that? I read using a 6.3mm adapter to 4 pin is not safe for your amp. Cause its not true balanced then...

T1 has two separate cables (two leads on each site) and could be true balanced with 4 pin XLR.

I use the cutoff 6.5 mm plug (with 6 inch old cable) to make a 6.5mm to 4 pin XLR converter cable for unbalanced headphone.

I have use these balanced setting and unbalance combinations for several years.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #10,665 of 10,994
Is it safe to do that? I read using a 6.3mm adapter to 4 pin is not safe for your amp. Cause its not true balanced then...
The T-1 cable has separate ground wires for each driver, so it's safe to convert the original cable to 4 pin XLR. Moon Audio and other professional cable makers sale 6.3 to 4 pin XLR adapters, so I assume they are safe to use. I've been using a Moon adapter with my DIY balanced T-1 for sometime on different amps with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back