The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #10,981 of 10,994
I would like to ask a question, I recently got an offer for a very good condition T1 1gen S/N 23059 for $400, I'm very interested because I saw good reviews about the T1 and I was looking for something similar to the hd 800, but reading this thread and other forums, it's seam like this S/N (above 23xxx) is basically the T1 2gen which isn't that great in compare to the 1gen because of the extra bass and recess mids.
Should I skip this offer and look for something under S/N 23xxx?
I'll pair it with a Schiit Lyr+ and a Bifrost 2/64

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #10,982 of 10,994
I would like to ask a question, I recently got an offer for a very good condition T1 1gen S/N 23059 for $400, I'm very interested because I saw good reviews about the T1 and I was looking for something similar to the hd 800, but reading this thread and other forums, it's seam like this S/N (above 23xxx) is basically the T1 2gen which isn't that great in compare to the 1gen because of the extra bass and recess mids.

I have both hd800 and T1 Gen1, they are not alike...the gen1 is very easy to get use to, the HD800 comes out as shouty, need SDR mod to tame it a bit and then its good.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #10,983 of 10,994
I have both hd800 and T1 Gen1, they are not alike...the gen1 is very easy to get use to, the HD800 comes out as shouty, need SDR mod to tame it a bit and then its good.
I have both the HD800 and T1 gen1. They sound different indeed and they have one thing in common: they are both at their best and excel with OTL tube amps.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #10,984 of 10,994
I have both the HD800 and T1 gen1 and they sound different indeed but they have one thing in common: they are both at their best and excel with OTL tube amps.
That's a good news that works well with OTL tube amps, also because I'm planning to add one to my system.
Do you think even in soundstage they're different quite a lot?
Also do you think the T1 1st gen is better then the 2nd gen?

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #10,985 of 10,994
That's a good news that works well with OTL tube amps, also because I'm planning to add one to my system.
Soundstage is bigger, wider, taller and airier on the HD800, however the T1 soundstage is more natural/realistic/focused and overall i find the T1 more precise and articulate. I use the T1 for critical listening and specific music genres and i use the HD800 to sit back and relax. I love them both and could not live without either.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #10,986 of 10,994
I've both because they sound different enough to justify it for me.
The 1.2 sounds thicker in the midbass even a bit muffled compared to the T1. But at the same time is a more relaxed experience
It depends on what kind of sound you prefer

I like more brighter headphones so if I had to choose one it would be the 1st series

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #10,987 of 10,994
I've both because they sound different enough to justify it for me.
The 1.2 sounds thicker in the midbass even a bit muffled compared to the T1. But at the same time is a more relaxed experience
It depends on what kind of sound you prefer

I like more brighter headphones so if I had to choose one it would be the 1st series
I was looking for a different type of sound signature from the headphone that I already own (like Focal Elex, Audeze LCD X, Hifiman He6Se2, Audioquest Nightowl, Fostex t60rp), something that has more sparkle, more bright with a bigger soundstage, I was thinking to the Hd 800/800s but it's too expensive even used one.
I used to own a Hd 600 and I really like the natural balance no colored sound signature, but too intimate.
I like the german energetic sound signature and that's why I came a cross to the T1, I read many post and many compare with the Hd 800 (maybe because are the two german top of the line), but even they're different I still wanna try it especially because pair really well with OTL tubes.
Do you think that the really late S/N of the 1st gen (23xxx) is like the 2nd gen or are still different?

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #10,988 of 10,994
T1 1st gen have attached cable and a metal case while Second gen have detachable cable and carry on hardcase, isn't this the difference? Does 2nd gen really continue the S/N numbering from 1st gen like that?

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #10,989 of 10,994
T1 1st gen have attached cable and a metal case while Second gen have detachable cable and carry on hardcase, isn't this the difference? Does 2nd gen really continue the S/N numbering from 1st gen like that?
From what I read yes, the 2nd gen continue the S/N from the 1st gen, in fact you can find 2nd gen with S/N 25xxx.
Also, the 1st gen S/N 23xxx start to introduce the new baffle design, and the 2nd gen aside the new case and detachable cables, still has the new baffle design but they also tweaked the driver even more, but I don't know if they did already with the S/N 23xxx.
I read from who had both that the S/N 23xxx still sound like the 1st gen and it has still a different sound from the 2nd gen, but I don't know for sure.
It's really confusing with all these S/N differences.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #10,990 of 10,994
I never heard (but also never looked for) of silent reviews of the 1st gen... But everything can be! My 1st gen is a 5xxx S/N and the 2nd gen a 37xxx and they sound nothing alike.
Anyway, I went through a quick direct comparison between T90 / T1 and Edition XS / Arya
As I remember both Edition XS and T90 have slightly wider soundstage than their bigger sisters, however, all sounds in comparison are more squished together on the sides.
Indeed, the T1 1st and the Arya manage to separate the different sound layers better leaving more air and empty space between the instruments.
This was the biggest and most striking difference that I heard when moving to this class of headphones.

Between the T1 and Arya (V2), the Arya has more bass, a taller/bigger sound (which I love) and a touch more instrument separation.
The T1 instead has this special thing that sometimes manages to create this sort of bubble in your head, where the instruments seem positioned in a semi-circle or semi sphere (which I believe is due to the angled drivers).

Beware that I'm talking of very small differences overall and also consider that I have some hearing loss above 5khz... Also, things change depending on source/amplification/music genre (I mainly listen to OSTs, Metal, Rock and Pop), so your mileage might vary.

Now, I didn't hear any of the headphones that you mentioned but depending on how much 400$ is worth for you, a T1 1st gen (assuming that you will get the real 1st gen sound) might be an interesting choice at that price for an energetic sound signature (and some quirks, as described above). At the same time here in the UK now you can find used Aryas for about 500£. If it is the same in your country, between T1 and Arya, I think the Arya sounds more special.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #10,991 of 10,994
I never heard (but also never looked for) of silent reviews of the 1st gen... But everything can be! My 1st gen is a 5xxx S/N and the 2nd gen a 37xxx and they sound nothing alike.
Anyway, I went through a quick direct comparison between T90 / T1 and Edition XS / Arya
As I remember both Edition XS and T90 have slightly wider soundstage than their bigger sisters, however, all sounds in comparison are more squished together on the sides.
Indeed, the T1 1st and the Arya manage to separate the different sound layers better leaving more air and empty space between the instruments.
This was the biggest and most striking difference that I heard when moving to this class of headphones.

Between the T1 and Arya (V2), the Arya has more bass, a taller/bigger sound (which I love) and a touch more instrument separation.
The T1 instead has this special thing that sometimes manages to create this sort of bubble in your head, where the instruments seem positioned in a semi-circle or semi sphere (which I believe is due to the angled drivers).

Beware that I'm talking of very small differences overall and also consider that I have some hearing loss above 5khz... Also, things change depending on source/amplification/music genre (I mainly listen to OSTs, Metal, Rock and Pop), so your mileage might vary.

Now, I didn't hear any of the headphones that you mentioned but depending on how much 400$ is worth for you, a T1 1st gen (assuming that you will get the real 1st gen sound) might be an interesting choice at that price for an energetic sound signature (and some quirks, as described above). At the same time here in the UK now you can find used Aryas for about 500£. If it is the same in your country, between T1 and Arya, I think the Arya sounds more special.
Thank you for the comparison, I always be interested to the Arya, even if now there're too many edition and you don't know what to choose, at one point I was pick it up one but instead I chose the He6SE2.
Right now I'm looking more for a good energetic headphone to pair well with a tube amp, and because I was looking for more soundstage, aside the Hd 800, the T1 looks a good choose to me, but I'll keep in mind for the future, maybe will be my next add to my collection.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #10,993 of 10,994
I am the only that hear the T1 as recessed \ like muffled mids ? Is a sensation like "distant" sound or "lack" of energy in mids freqencies.....
Mids on my 1st gen T1 sound a bit distant and recessed, but not "muffled" since every contents in that range are presented crystal clear.
I find it a nice tune for enjoying music and its sound in critical attitude.
(I reject the idea that critical listening is the opposite of enjoying music.)

But I also admit not only the midrange but the entire tone of the T1 can sound muffled, because of its recessed mids, especially after I switch from my Grados. In comparison to T1 Grados present much more intimate & engaging tone which is great for enjoying music without being too critical.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #10,994 of 10,994
I'd agree on that recessed mid-range assessment. Are not the T1 and HD 800s originators of the auricle-focused asymmetrical angled chamber, with all the attendant psycho-acoustic soundstage gimmicks that inspired subsequent TOTL HPs? ...DT 48s they are not.
Thank you for the comparison, I always be interested to the Arya, even if now there're too many edition and you don't know what to choose, at one point I was pick it up one but instead I chose the He6SE2.
Right now I'm looking more for a good energetic headphone to pair well with a tube amp, and because I was looking for more soundstage, aside the Hd 800, the T1 looks a good choose to me, but I'll keep in mind for the future, maybe will be my next add to my collection.
I'd like to point out that it's either the transducer or amplifer that'll make that choice for you. The output impedance should match the impedance of the headphones. Otherwise, you change the operation of the power tubes, thus, the proper function of the amp. Also, the best situation is the tube seeing flat impedance and phase across the bandwidth. That would be a planar magnetic driver, but there are cones that fit those parameters, too. The T1 is ~850R; HD 800 ~450R. Both HPs have an impedance bump in the bass region with benign phase behavior.
If it's any help, I think the HD 800 is the droid you're looking for: it's fast, clicky, ticky, snappy; emphasizes attack, frets, kicks and is way too bright with digital. It's popular to exploit the electrical factors cited above to slow-her-down.
Often, reviewers cite the HD 800 as some revelation in stage size, but I don't hear it. The way it populates the stage is absolutely superb and worth the $$, though my eardrums are still in same spot when the T1 is on my dome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back