The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #10,666 of 10,994
H, I just bought a used pair of T1 1st gen for 360 EUR. Should be arriving in a day or two.
Serial number is 1000 something.

Was this a good deal?
Will a Sound Blaster X7 (1200mw @ 32Ohm) push them sufficiently?
I want to replace the ear pads with new ones for hygiene reasons. Do you recommend the !st or 2nd Gen ear pads for a 1st gen headphone? Or something completely different?
How does one clean the headband? According to the pictures it is leather with a cloth stripe in the middle. A replacement headband costs north of 110 EURs Beyer's website so this is out of question. Can you use the DT990Pro or a Custom One Pro headband, which is really cheap (8 - 18 EUR)?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #10,667 of 10,994
I just installed the CustomCans Mod kit.

KHB8V0b.jpg

It really does cut back the treble. However, contrary to other mods it does not improve bass impact. I only had a couple ofminutes to audition it this morning, but I am not sure wether I like it. It makes the T1 a lot more laid-back, but it also kills most of its energy. For lack of another word, with the mod installed the T1 sounded "unremarkable".

In my opinion the T1 (and all the other oldschool Beyers where never designed for long, relaxed listining sessions. They are S tier for gaming thanks to their great soundstatge and detail retrieval. They are also meant to drag you into the music, to carry you along with the track, for an active and engaging listening.

Their Beyer peak is thus part of their USP. Its just that the T90 and the T1.1 are a little bit too excessive in this regard.

The "crescent on the opposite side of the driver, small dot under the driver felt" mod is probably the best mod to tame the treble ever so slightly while keeping the character of these cans intact. I still have to do a longer session with the custom cans mod, though and maybe try skipping the longish stripe behind the driver

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #10,668 of 10,994
Is the Woo Audio WA2 still considered an outstanding tube amp pairing for the T1 or are there better valued tube amp options around that price point?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #10,669 of 10,994
Is the Woo Audio WA2 still considered an outstanding tube amp pairing for the T1 or are there better valued tube amp options around that price point?
Cannot answer re WA2 but Im finding the Felix Elise + NL3N drivers and 5998 power to sound excellent with bith T1 and HD 800. It certainly betters my Bottlehead/Speedball.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #10,670 of 10,994
Cannot answer re WA2 but Im finding the Felix Elise + NL3N drivers and 5998 power to sound excellent with bith T1 and HD 800. It certainly betters my Bottlehead/Speedball.

I second this regarding Feliks Audio Elise or its bigger brother Euphoria. Details here:
http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

I use Elise 2018 with Psvane CV181T Mark II and Tung Sol 5998 and Beyerdynamic T1 gen. 2 and the sound is absolutely incredible.

Psvane_CV181_T2_Tung_Sol_5998.jpg

Advice: never say you do not like T1 without trying it on a tube amp. Best headphone available at the moment. :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #10,671 of 10,994

Thank you. I've read great things about the Elise, however for some reason i just can't find any review comparing it directly to the WA2.
Seems like the Elise is very well suited for high impedance headphones like HD800 & T1 and maybe the WA2 has more power to drive planar magnetics.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #10,673 of 10,994
Picked up a pair of the limited edition all black T1's 2nd gens. I love the color scheme of these cans. I'm still breaking them in but so far I'm liking the sound of these out of my iDSD BL. The T1.2's are really musical and I don't really hear any treble sibilance at all. These are very nicely balanced to my ears. Vocals are up front but not to forward, bass in nice, taunt, punchy, deep with good extension. For those of you wondering the HD800S's beats it out in overall clarity and openness. The HD800S's just sound bigger and more dynamic than the T1.2's. But my T1.2's are still evolving so we'll see what they will become.

T1_Updated.jpg

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #10,675 of 10,994
Picked up a pair of the limited edition all black T1's 2nd gens. I love the color scheme of these cans. I'm still breaking them in but so far I'm liking the sound of these out of my iDSD BL. The T1.2's are really musical and I don't really hear any treble sibilance at all. These are very nicely balanced to my ears. Vocals are up front but not to forward, bass in nice, taunt, punchy, deep with good extension. For those of you wondering the HD800S's beats it out in overall clarity and openness. The HD800S's just sound bigger and more dynamic than the T1.2's. But my T1.2's are still evolving so we'll see what they will become.

Really beautiful looking.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #10,676 of 10,994
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #10,679 of 10,994
@Me x3 how you feel the differences between T1 and HD800S?
They are close in the big scheme of things, but multiple differences can be found on critical comparison. HD800S is slightly leaner, tighter, drier, more open and projects bigger objects on a wider space. An overall more ethereal and analytical character. Tesla T1 is slightly fuller in the bass, more cohesive in the mids and has different (somehow sweeter) treble tonality, it projects smaller objects on a narrower space so it's more intimate and focused.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #10,680 of 10,994
They are close in the big scheme of things, but multiple differences can be found on critical comparison. HD800S is slightly leaner, tighter, drier, more open and projects bigger objects on a wider space. An overall more ethereal and analytical character. Tesla T1 is slightly fuller in the bass, more cohesive in the mids and has different (somehow sweeter) treble tonality, it projects smaller objects on a narrower space so it's more intimate and focused.
The more time I get on my T1.2’s the more musical they are sounding. I’m really curious how they are going to sound with a about 100 or so hours on them. The HD800S is the more technical headphone but if what to enjoy music the T1.2’s lets you do just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back