The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 2, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #9,016 of 10,994
Is anyone worried about the fact that the T1 has no removable cable?

It's removable...

...my dog proved it 
beyersmile.png

May 2, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #9,017 of 10,994

The only headphone I've heard which he directly compares the T1 to is the Oppo PM-1 and I disagree with a lot of the comparison. He says: "he PM-1 is noticeably more impacting" - debatable; not to my ears. "PM-1 offers more clarity all round" - definitely not. The T1 has a "mildly relaxed presentation" - no, the PM-1 does; it's smoothness headphonified.

That's my experience as well. I haven't owned the PM-1, only auditioned it, but I found it disappointing overall (even though I love OppoDigital). I would put it one full notch - maybe a notch and a half - below the T1. When paired with the Meier Classic amp, the T1 is more impactful than the Oppo, not the other way around as the post suggests. I get plenty of thump on the T1s when fed that clean German current, particularly on EDM/Trance/Dubstep tracks. I didn't feel the PM-1 was in the same ballpark. I also agree with you that the T1 has the edge in clarity. The PM-1 had a slight veil to my ears, which surprised and disappointed me since it's a planar. It might be because I am used to the Audeze LCD-X, which is highly transparent and detailed, but all I can say is that the T1s don't represent the same degree of dropoff from the Audeze (my "summit" headphone) that the PM-1s did. I don't think the PM-1 is a bad headphone, just don't feel it was on the T1s level in most areas. But as you said, it's subjective...

May 3, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #9,018 of 10,994
Hey all I recently purchased a Maddog  Earpad, I installed it with some modification, needless to say the hot treble has been tamed, I no longer need to use bass boost on my Alo Mk3B+ below is some picture. Along with the sonic change are the comfort, I find the comfort is better than the Velour pad.

FYI my phone is 27XX. I cut the inside because there is a padding in there that made the sound even more wamrth, if that floats your boat then you can leave it. With the padding cut, there is more clarity and detail while retaining bass and some warmth.

May 3, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #9,019 of 10,994
  That's my experience as well. I haven't owned the PM-1, only auditioned it, but I found it disappointing overall (even though I love OppoDigital). I would put it one full notch - maybe a notch and a half - below the T1. When paired with the Meier Classic amp, the T1 is more impactful than the Oppo, not the other way around as the post suggests. I get plenty of thump on the T1s when fed that clean German current, particularly on EDM/Trance/Dubstep tracks. I didn't feel the PM-1 was in the same ballpark. I also agree with you that the T1 has the edge in clarity. The PM-1 had a slight veil to my ears, which surprised and disappointed me since it's a planar. It might be because I am used to the Audeze LCD-X, which is highly transparent and detailed, but all I can say is that the T1s don't represent the same degree of dropoff from the Audeze (my "summit" headphone) that the PM-1s did. I don't think the PM-1 is a bad headphone, just don't feel it was on the T1s level in most areas. But as you said, it's subjective...

The Oppo PM-1/2 are pretty limp in the bass department, no matter what amp I've tried. They are not the be all or end all for detail. The likes of the HE6, LCD2F, LCD3, LCDX, T1, K812, HD800 (among others) are another tier from them overall from my testing.

I'm eager to hear a LCDX more extensively, the LCD2F is one of my favorites among the cans I own, the HE6 being my favorite.

May 3, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #9,020 of 10,994

The Oppo PM-1/2 are pretty limp in the bass department, no matter what amp I've tried. They are not the be all or end all for detail. The likes of the HE6, LCD2F, LCD3, LCDX, T1, K812, HD800 (among others) are another tier from them overall from my testing.

I'm eager to hear a LCDX more extensively, the LCD2F is one of my favorites among the cans I own, the HE6 being my favorite.

Agreed. And yeah, I loved the LCD-2, also. I'm really glad we have more planar options on the market now...should really benefit the consumer. And now with the Enigmacoustics Dharma about to be released, it's even more intriguing! 

May 6, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #9,022 of 10,994
Just received  the EDT T1V pads from thomann the pads do look a bit thicker than the EDT 990VB that i also ordered.
At a glance i did not notice any differences other than the thickness, tho i have not critically looked for it either so could be that there are some differences that affect the SQ.

May 7, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #9,023 of 10,994
So... catching up on the Abyss thread I just now realized that I did not take it out of its bag since I took it to a local meet more than two weeks ago. I did listen to the T1 in the mean time though... and while I currently enjoy some rather cheap cans like the DT770/80 quite a bit, I'd say I'm once again back with the T1. That happened not for the first time actually... its the one I keep coming back to again and again. It beat out the TH900, the K812, the Sig Pro, the T90... and now the Abyss. It seems t just fit my taste I guess. That is not to say I regret buying any of those other headphones, which are each on its own very good, and I still own them... but seldom use them.

Thing is, I would have never believed that if anyone had predicted this before I went through all these models... That helped me appreciate what the T1 and some of those cheaper models I currently use bring to the table. At often incredibly low prices. I think one does not need to spend that much money to be able to really enjoy music -- which has a lot to do with perception rather than real technological advantages anyway I think. And while I can understand everyone enjoying discussions on the newest and hottest gear, I actually prefer to listen to music again. That's what its all about after all...

May 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #9,024 of 10,994
So... catching up on the Abyss thread I just now realized that I did not take it out of its bag since I took it to a local meet more than two weeks ago. I did listen to the T1 in the mean time though... and while I currently enjoy some rather cheap cans like the DT770/80 quite a bit, I'd say I'm once again back with the T1. That happened not for the first time actually... its the one I keep coming back to again and again. It beat out the TH900, the K812, the Sig Pro, the T90... and now the Abyss. It seems t just fit my taste I guess. That is not to say I regret buying any of those other headphones, which are each on its own very good, and I still own them... but seldom use them.

Thing is, I would have never believed that if anyone had predicted this before I went through all these models... That helped me appreciate what the T1 and some of those cheaper models I currently use bring to the table. At often incredibly low prices. I think one does not need to spend that much money to be able to really enjoy music -- which has a lot to do with perception rather than real technological advantages anyway I think. And while I can understand everyone enjoying discussions on the newest and hottest gear, I actually prefer to listen to music again. That's what its all about after all...

May I ask what amp And dac did you use with the abyss?

May 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #9,026 of 10,994

I can relate to what you're saying. When I bought the LCD-X, I had pretty much no desire to listen to anything else for like the first couple months. The T1s sat...and sat...and sat. But now that I've settled in, and even though I do consider the X a better headphone, the T1s still get plenty of head time in the rotation and I enjoy them as much as I ever did. They hold up really well as a nice change of pace or complement to other/better headphones. 

May 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #9,027 of 10,994
I can relate to what you're saying. When I bought the LCD-X, I had pretty much no desire to listen to anything else for like the first couple months. The T1s sat...and sat...and sat. But now that I've settled in, and even though I do consider the X a better headphone, the T1s still get plenty of head time in the rotation and I enjoy them as much as I ever did. They hold up really well as a nice change of pace or complement to other/better headphones. 

Same here. While I generally prefer the HE-500 due to having more body with voices & instruments and is overall smoother, the T1 has a special place in my rotation. Although leaner, the T1 is my go-to headphone when I want ultimate resolution, precision and transparency.
It also earns a perfect score in terms of comfort. I can't live without it :)

May 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #9,028 of 10,994
Hey guys, quick question.
Now, I'm no fan of buying used stuff on ebay, especially this sort of stuff, but I had a user counteroffer $750 for a used t1 pair. Description says it was less than a year old but never had the dac/amp to drive them. Pictures show it being in pretty good condition.
What is Head-fi's thoughts on buying used?

May 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #9,029 of 10,994
  Hey guys, quick question.
Now, I'm no fan of buying used stuff on ebay, especially this sort of stuff, but I had a user counteroffer $750 for a used t1 pair. Description says it was less than a year old but never had the dac/amp to drive them. Pictures show it being in pretty good condition.
What is Head-fi's thoughts on buying used?

Generally people on Head-Fi support the idea of buying headphones and headphone equipment second hand. Though they may recommend you buy from the Head-Fi for sale forum. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back