The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #6,601 of 10,994
  It's strange but I never realised how taxing it was to listen to the T1, they demand your attention and concentration. That is a weird thing to discover; I find it hard to relax with these things on my head.

That's why I keep my HD650's around for relaxed late evening listening, I cant ever imagine falling asleep with the T1's on my head you just want to keep feeding them track after track! The HD650's on the other hand are a different story, I have lost count of the number of times I have nodded off to while listening with them.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #6,602 of 10,994
+1 to the above post. 
T1 wants your full attention...i use it only when i waaaant to listen to the music :p

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,603 of 10,994
  +1 to the above post. 
T1 wants your full attention...i use it only when i waaaant to listen to the music :p

Well here's the thing.

I'm an IT guy, but I show up at 7. The others don't come in until 9. I get two hours of undisturbed work and music every... single... day...

And I want it to be just so. And now it is.

I can't believe they pay me for that :D

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6,604 of 10,994
u r sure u ARE working...or just listening to music from 7to9....

beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #6,606 of 10,994

Well here's the thing.

I'm an IT guy, but I show up at 7. The others don't come in until 9. I get two hours of undisturbed work and music every... single... day...

And I want it to be just so. And now it is.

I can't believe they pay me for that :D

I usually listen to music when I work, but I do my job and they pay me for that. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #6,608 of 10,994
Does anyone else find that the T1s sound edgy on lower volumes, but come alive and sound smoother at slightly higher volumes?

I hadn't been enjoying mine the last few days and I decided turned it up today when I still wasn't really enjoying them and "wham!" there's that magic T1 sound again! Can't tell if it's the headphones or my ears that are changing with the extra volume.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #6,609 of 10,994
  Does anyone else find that the T1s sound edgy on lower volumes, but come alive and sound smoother at slightly higher volumes?

I hadn't been enjoying mine the last few days and I decided turned it up today when I still wasn't really enjoying them and "wham!" there's that magic T1 sound again! Can't tell if it's the headphones or my ears that are changing with the extra volume.

To me it kinda feels like a mood thing as well. However, in general I feel the same. The T1 is a great can to rock out to. Mid-to high volume is where the magic is. On something like the TH900 though, low and mid-volume is where its at. Too much volume and everything just gets a tad overwhelming. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6,610 of 10,994

You aren't using any kind of digital volume control in your audio path are you? All digital controls should be at max and the volume itself controlled in the analog domain if possible.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #6,611 of 10,994
  You aren't using any kind of digital volume control in your audio path are you? All digital controls should be at max and the volume itself controlled in the analog domain if possible.

Good question, but no. ASIO (exclusive mode) out of laptop to X-Sabre DAC (no pre-amp / volume control) to Bottlehead Mainline. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #6,613 of 10,994

I haven't noticed this. The sound at low volumes is excellent. I listen at pretty low volumes 99% of the time.

I am running Audiolab MDAC --> SPL Phonitor --> T1.

You might need to see a doctor about your ears if the sound has changed like that and it's noticeable. I found I had an ear infection once that really impaired the sound of my cans to the point where I thought they might be broken. Then got my ears cleaned out and seen to and all has been well since.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #6,614 of 10,994
  I haven't noticed this. The sound at low volumes is excellent. I listen at pretty low volumes 99% of the time.

I am running Audiolab MDAC --> SPL Phonitor --> T1.

You might need to see a doctor about your ears if the sound has changed like that and it's noticeable. I found I had an ear infection once that really impaired the sound of my cans to the point where I thought they might be broken. Then got my ears cleaned out and seen to and all has been well since.

It's not that it's bad, just that I am much more aware of extra treble energy at lower volumes than at moderate (not high) volumes. It seems there is more balance at slightly higher volumes.

As for your comments about hearing - it's a really good point and part of the reason for my question. I had Bell's Palsy a little over a year ago and my ears are definitely more sensitive to treble since around that time (leading up to it and since). I'm hoping to fully overcome the symptoms with some ongoing chiro work, but it's so subtle now that I can't tell if it's my ears being 1-2% more sensitive than normal or if it's a real characteristic of the amp / cans I'm using.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #6,615 of 10,994
The T1 sounds good at any volume. In my experience it all has to do with environment sounds. When it's totally quiet around the house I listen at a pretty low volume level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back