The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #6,595 of 10,994
My answer is NO. 

Theoretically is better if you have the source volume at 100%, though the different isn't audible most of the times.  

Agreed. When you lower the digital volume on your LT you are dropping/truncating bits of resolution. Additionally you are increasing the S/N ratio and noise floor by turning up the volume on your amp.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6,596 of 10,994
Always keep the computer volume at max.
As vlach said anything less and you're throwing bits away.

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #6,597 of 10,994
I had the same lack of volume problem with my A1. I turned up the gain on media monkey player, but it would start adding distortion. I solved the problem by adjusting the digital headroom on my dspeaker dual core.

I run the Dspeaker room correction on bypass when using the A1. I have a feeling the A1 volume is throttled back to meet EU laws/guidelines.

I wonder if there is a pot or something in the A1 that you can adjust ??

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #6,598 of 10,994
I just received my T1's in the mail today.

OMG.

I ordered them because I was dissatisfied with my HD 650's. I got those on sale, and they were just exactly good enough to show me what I was missing in my Denon AH-D600's, but lacked that last bit that put them over the top. At first I thought it was because my amp was underpowered. Adding a Vali improved the sound a lot, but still left me wanting. The sound was full and rich, but just didn't engage me emotionally.

The T1's are a vast improvement (to me). It's like the AH-D600's on steroids. More clarity. More bass impact. Better fit.

I am currently awaiting delivery of an A20 amp as a potential replacement for the Vali. Stay tuned for impressions.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #6,599 of 10,994

OMG.

I ordered them because I was dissatisfied with my HD 650's. I got those on sale, and they were just exactly good enough to show me what I was missing in my Denon AH-D600's, but lacked that last bit that put them over the top. At first I thought it was because my amp was underpowered. Adding a Vali improved the sound a lot, but still left me wanting. The sound was full and rich, but just didn't engage me emotionally.

The T1's are a vast improvement (to me). It's like the AH-D600's on steroids. More clarity. More bass impact. Better fit.

I am currently awaiting delivery of an A20 amp as a potential replacement for the Vali. Stay tuned for impressions.

Congrats! They're a wonderful headphone, no doubt. Look forward to your impressions with the incoming amp.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #6,600 of 10,994

OMG.

Yeah. That's pretty much exactly how I felt, I had that upgrade path. 

I recently gave the 650s a go again, and surprisingly I didn't hate them as much as I thought I would. Especially after listening to my T1s for so long and ignoring them. They were ridiculously easy to listen to. Don't get me wrong though the T1 did everything better. There were missing details I thought especially in the treble and I didn't like the mid range which sounded off to me in some way I can't explain and the bass was sloppy in comparison. But the sound as a whole wasn't unpleasant and it had a soft character to it.

It's strange but I never realised how taxing it was to listen to the T1, they demand your attention and concentration. That is a weird thing to discover; I find it hard to relax with these things on my head. It's even more confusing that I never really noticed. I think you all might understand what I mean it's late and I am having a hard time explaining myself I've never been much good at explaining sound.

I suggest keeping the HD650 just for reference in the future if nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back