The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6,631 of 10,994
I wish I could get the T1 sound in a closed back headphone with proper sound isolation. Any background noise at all, even something as silent as pc fan noise can ruin the experience, it defeats the entire purpose of all the technical specs in the rest of setup.

If you want to see some fun false advertising carefully read this ad for the T1 and you'll notice if has a
"Noise-Cancelling-Feature" in the technical details section.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-T1-Audiofile-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B0031RD3YY

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #6,632 of 10,994
I wish I could get the T1 sound in a closed back headphone with proper sound isolation. Any background noise at all, even something as silent as pc fan noise can ruin the experience, it defeats the entire purpose of all the technical specs in the rest of setup.

Man, I'm glad my threshold for auditory sensory gating is a lot lower than yours appears to be. Helps I'm a really active listener I suppose (self-aggrandizing way of saying unable to multitask, my version sounds much better).

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6,633 of 10,994
What do you think about using the Bose QuietComfort 15?  :D  

In a scenario like this, where they are not wanted for lots of air travel much better to use the Polk UltraFocus 8000, significantly better sounding headphone. Still not a patch on the T1 though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #6,634 of 10,994
  Does anyone else find that the T1s sound edgy on lower volumes, but come alive and sound smoother at slightly higher volumes?

I hadn't been enjoying mine the last few days and I decided turned it up today when I still wasn't really enjoying them and "wham!" there's that magic T1 sound again! Can't tell if it's the headphones or my ears that are changing with the extra volume.

I know exactly what you mean.  I've never been a particularly loud listener but I've learned on my T1's, to my ears, the sound doesn't get louder, it gets more "real".  The T1's really don't break down as you push them  so as I increase the volume it allows me to hear the timbre of each instrument edging toward "live" sound.  I'm an old drummer and it's as close to being behind a drum kit as I've heard on headphones...real engaging stuff.  The 1960 Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's in the amp don't hurt either.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #6,635 of 10,994
The 1960 Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's in the amp don't hurt either.

how much are these babies?...slurppzzzzz 
i have the regular philips ecc88 and i am already in love with them. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,636 of 10,994
  The 1960 Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's in the amp don't hurt either.

how much are these babies?...slurppzzzzz 
i have the regular philips ecc88 and i am already in love with them. 

Got em for I think it was $179 from a German seller on ebay and they were NOS, so I felt pretty good about the price.   I've had 3 or 4 other sets of E188CC's and E88CC's Miniwatt SQ's but that one set has a magic the others didn't quite have.  All were Heerlen Holland made.  Don't get me wrong, they were all great tubes with that luscious Miniwatt midrange.  I was just looking for that Holy Grail Miniwatt.  The 1960 is as close as I'm gonna come.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #6,639 of 10,994
  I know exactly what you mean.  I've never been a particularly loud listener but I've learned on my T1's, to my ears, the sound doesn't get louder, it gets more "real".  The T1's really don't break down as you push them  so as I increase the volume it allows me to hear the timbre of each instrument edging toward "live" sound.  I'm an old drummer and it's as close to being behind a drum kit as I've heard on headphones...real engaging stuff.  The 1960 Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's in the amp don't hurt either.

Yes, the overall tone of drum kits on the T1 - as with the HD650 - is excellent.  I still thought the snare drums on the T1 and HD650 had a more accurate tone than the HD800...snare drums on the HD800 sounded like...the LCD2.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #6,640 of 10,994
  I bought mine also from Sonic Sense and they were also shipped directly from Beyerdynamic. So fat, the phones have been performing well.

Got mine at Sonic Sense for $900 and change.  They appeared "new" although they were advertised as 'open box'.  Have had them since last June and they have been flawless.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #6,641 of 10,994
Currently trying to find the best all around headphones for my Mjolnir/Gungnir stack, I am very heavily leaning towards either the T1 or HE-6. Can anyone recommend which would pair best with my stack ? 

I already own the HE-500 but waiting on my balanced cables to arrive to try it with the new stack.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #6,642 of 10,994
I just purchased these and I am in Love. They are so so perfect. 

I would go the T1....as it is far easier to drive and lighter. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #6,643 of 10,994
  Currently trying to find the best all around headphones for my Mjolnir/Gungnir stack, I am very heavily leaning towards either the T1 or HE-6. Can anyone recommend which would pair best with my stack ? 

I already own the HE-500 but waiting on my balanced cables to arrive to try it with the new stack.

IMO the M/G stack will not properly drive the HE-6

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6,644 of 10,994
So, a brief comment on the A20 amp with the T1 headphones (as promised)...

It's gorgeous. The build quality is fantastic. Just turning it on, or plugging in your headphones is a little kinesthetic event, that gives you a subtle jolt of pleasure. The whole experience is reminiscent of getting in an expensive German sedan, slamming the door ("the sound... just so"), easing into the leather seat ("so comfy it's unremarkable"), pressing the "on" button ("a diesel so smooth you can hardly tell it's on") and slipping it into drive (<snick>).

That being said...

It's a $500 amp. I was expecting a vast improvement over the $120 Vali that I am otherwise using to drive the T1's with. It's probably just me, but I'm not hearing it... and after all I'm the one who's paying. It's not due to the quality of the source material (high quality FLAC), nor the DAC ($500 NAD D1050) or the headphones (T1). In fact, it's an amp that is specifically built to match the T-series headphones, and has gotten great reviews for the synergy with them.

I'm going to give it a week, because I really really want to like it better than the Vali, but at the moment I'm tending towards returning it before my cool down period of 14 days is up, and just sticking with the Vali until I notice it's limitations.

I'd be VERY interested in hearing your impressions of the Vali with T1s, or just of the Vali with high quality headphones in general. Perhaps I'm just missing something. 

TL;DR: The quality is outstanding, but in my opinion the Vali is really exceptional value for money, and a surprisingly hard amp to beat this side of $500.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #6,645 of 10,994
  IMO the M/G stack will not properly drive the HE-6

This is correct according to the feedback of multiple folks in the 'amps that drive the HE-6' thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back