The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #6,496 of 10,994
umm ok back on topic.

T1's sound great when listening while driving on a cold winter day

but seriously, ummm i think im starting to like the HE-6 over the T1, though it took them a long time to get there, and the old HE-6 i had wasn't as good still, but really came close.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #6,497 of 10,994
  Unsubscribed from this OT thread!!!

Really?

Just a polite reminder would have sufficed.  Bunch of T1 owners enjoying a discussion...How bad can that possibly be.

This is what head-fi has come to these days...like the HD800...bit sterile...
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #6,498 of 10,994
There really is no comparison between the T1 and HE-6 to be honest.  One is a heavy ortho which is pretty uncomfortable and has questionable build quality and requires a massive amp just to sound decent.  The other isn't and doesn't on all accounts.  The T1 wins in comfort, quality, efficiency, and sound quality in my opinion.  Even though my top dog headphones are now the LCD-X and XC I have decided to keep the T1 as a lighter brighter option for days when that is what I want.  The HE-6 went straight back to the factory.

What amp did you use to drive the HE-6 out of curiosity?

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #6,499 of 10,994
Rats....getting intermittent connection on my right cup connector on the he6.
I hav a spare set of connectors..but I am as blind as a bat, how to solder those tiny wires..yakkks.

Anyone tried my crude T1 pad mode yet...? Zzzzzz. (afew pages back)
U miss out on hearing the waterfalls in shangrila if u haven't.
Ok nvm...let's talk miata, it matches the T1 perfectly.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #6,501 of 10,994

HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp.  But it didn't get much ear time since the cable and XLR connector was intermittent and the pads were uncomfortable.  Gotta get past the basics first when you are spending over 1k lol.  

So problems with the build and running them underpowered, sure recipe for dislike there.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,502 of 10,994
HeadRoom Ultra is well known to be a good driver of the HE-6.  It had no problem driving them hard but yes you are correct, the build quality was just hideous.  Having both left and right headphone wires labelled as 'L' didn't boost my confidence either.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #6,503 of 10,994
  HeadRoom Ultra is well known to be a good driver of the HE-6.  It had no problem driving them hard but yes you are correct, the build quality was just hideous.  Having both left and right headphone wires labelled as 'L' didn't boost my confidence either.

AFAIK the HeadRoom Ultra is not reputed to be a good driver of the HE-6? Searching here I find precisely one 'ears-on' reference to that pairing, and that says they are poor together.

It'll get it to good volumes, but that isn't the same thing as driving it well. My Audio-GD Reference 10.32 can get the HE-6 to good volumes, but it sounds congested and strained, and additionally in comparison to running it from my Auralic Taurus MKII the soundstage is constricted and the imaging sloppy.

Yours seems to have been particularly bad in terms of build quality, but there is no doubt that even more representative units are not on the same plane as the T1.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #6,504 of 10,994

AFAIK the HeadRoom Ultra is not reputed to be a good driver of the HE-6.

It'll get it to good volumes, but that isn't the same thing as driving it well. My Audio-GD Reference 10.32 can get the HE-6 to good volumes, but it sounds congested and strained, and in comparison to running it from my Auralic Taurus MKII the soundstage is constricted and the imaging sloppy.

Yours seems to have been particularly bad in terms of build quality, but even more representative units are not on the same plane as the T1.

It is reputed to be a good driver, but this isn't the thread to argue about the HE-6.  Anyway you have reinforced the other thing that the T1 trumps it in, efficiency.   Not really looking for a new amp to drive an uncomfortable headphone when I have a very very good amp already that drives everything else with finesse.  Especially when the other options ultimately sound better to me.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #6,506 of 10,994
Another question - are T1 really an open headphone?

How much are the damping factor - beyer called them semi-open.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #6,508 of 10,994
  Another question - are T1 really an open headphone?

How much are the damping factor - beyer called them semi-open.

They are fairly loud - too load if you are on a train or bus. the person beside you would hear everything

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #6,509 of 10,994
  It is reputed to be a good driver, but this isn't the thread to argue about the HE-6.  Anyway you have reinforced the other thing that the T1 trumps it in, efficiency.   Not really looking for a new amp to drive an uncomfortable headphone when I have a very very good amp already that drives everything else with finesse.  Especially when the other options ultimately sound better to me.

All valid points that led me to the T1.
Not to mention the questionable build quality of the HE6.

Whatever anyone's arguments someone may have over the T1
I think it's design is as thoroughly thought out of any headphone on the market.
You either like it or you do not.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #6,510 of 10,994
  Jesus, didn't realize it got that cold anywhere else (albeit we reach those temperatures about 5 times a year, but still...).

Nowhere gets as cold as Winnipeg. 
tongue.gif
 My wife's family is all there and the coldest I've ever been was one night going to a Jets game in the mid 1990s...my father-in law parked by his office (way on the other side of Portage/St. James) and we had to walk to the old Winnipeg Stadium. Like Randy Bachman's song says: "Portage and Main, 50 below". 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back