The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6,526 of 10,994

The T1 indeed changes over time. In more than 3 months I have them, they have sounded much better than when I first put them on.

First thing that changed obviously is it appears that T1 gets much more easier to drive over time. I am only using portable amps to Drive T1 and with M8 in particular. I used to get to normal listen volume on T1 when I set M8 to high gain and volume pot at 3PM position. Now I can get the same level at medium gain and volume pot at 12 o'clock position. This is on balanced cable.

Also noticeable the bass region has become much deeper and fuller. The harsh treble on some occasion has gone or tamed a bit. 

Maybe it's just me (brain burn in) but T1 is akin to a wine which goes much better with age. I am planning to acquire other headphones (LCD-X is on my sight) but I doubt I will part with T1.

DITTO!

Got an adapter from the resident genius at Charleston Cable Co. to use T1 with speaker amps. The T1 is now a keeper! (How many headphones bite the dust without proper amplification?)

Would it be possible to post a picture of the adapter cable?  I would like to give my T1 a try connected to my speaker amp.  Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #6,527 of 10,994

Totally get what you mean. I had this with the T1 during the early part of my ownership. The T1s have now evolved into my favourite headphone overall of the ones that I own. 

It's funny, this love-hate relationship you have with the T1 - I currently have with the HE500!

Oh, BTW, retailers will generally give you a great discount on the T1 if you ask. I got mine waaaay below the asking price. 

You know, it's really strange but I had the exact opposite reaction. I had (have, but haven't used it in 3-4? years since getting my T1) the HD 650. When I got my T1 I could never put the HD650 back on my head. I might dig them out and see if I still feel the same way. Or sell them, they are just sitting there doing nothing (O)_o. My T1 recently had an accident of epic proportions though so I am considering buying a new pair. Or something different.

I genuinely think the HD650 is rubbish compared to the T1. It just sounded muffled and sludge-like. Well, to my ears anyway.

You know what I am going to dig the box out and try them. maybe it was just new owner syndrome when I got my T1.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #6,528 of 10,994
  The T1 indeed changes over time. In more than 3 months I have them, they have sounded much better than when I first put them on.

First thing that changed obviously is it appears that T1 gets much more easier to drive over time. I am only using portable amps to Drive T1 and with M8 in particular. I used to get to normal listen volume on T1 when I set M8 to high gain and volume pot at 3PM position. Now I can get the same level at medium gain and volume pot at 12 o'clock position. This is on balanced cable.

Also noticeable the bass region has become much deeper and fuller. The harsh treble on some occasion has gone or tamed a bit. 

Maybe it's just me (brain burn in) but T1 is akin to a wine which goes much better with age. I am planning to acquire other headphones (LCD-X is on my sight) but I doubt I will part with T1.

Yes, it's brain my friend. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #6,529 of 10,994
I'll stop this war quickly: Just listen to Stax instead 
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #6,534 of 10,994
I just hope they can make electrostatic affordable and be able to be driven by common amps. I just shudder to the idea of running high current around my head. Although I never head of any accident or incident, it's possible to electrocute yourself by a freak accident while listening to these cans

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #6,535 of 10,994
  The 407 doesn't compare to the T1 IMO. Plus, don't forget that $1000 Stax driver. 

Their is the SRM-252S , it's possible to find it alone
redface.gif
, but T1 needs also an amplification right ?
wink.gif

Also how much is your soloist ?
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #6,536 of 10,994

Their is the SRM-252S , it's possible to find it alone
redface.gif
, but T1 needs also an amplification right ?
wink.gif

The T1 is a more capable headphone. The only plus for the 407, which is debatable,  is the "electrostatic sound". With the T1, you get a much better bass response, better comfort, better treble extension and many other important benefits. You can get a top end setup with the T1 for $1500 (T1+Soloist SL). You can't get that kind of sound quality from a Stax setup until you hit the Omega. Once we're there, we can agree all day that the Stax is a better headphone. The 407+252 is also underpowered IMO. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #6,537 of 10,994
right this moment, i cant see myself selling any of my cans,
i have come to appreciate each can for its perculiar sound.
Funny thing is whichever can is on my head seems to sound the best..
then the next can would sound the best, and so on. lol 
Last night i tot the dt770/600 was scintillating :p
Now its the LCD2..sultry seductive vocals..oooo

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #6,538 of 10,994
Definitely not brain burn in. I've been listening to mine for a month, and I agree that the bass has gotten much deeper and more authortive with higher sound pressure levels. They sounded beautiful right out of the box but the impact was lacking, I didn't think they were going to change much, but they did. ..i hate to take them off. I can't see a hp getting much better than these.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #6,539 of 10,994

Definitely not brain burn in. 

You measured it before and after? Otherwise it's not actually possible to make a case for excluding the influence of brain burn in (and even then I still don't think you can really make a case for excluding any contribution from brain burn in). 

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #6,540 of 10,994
Believe me i don't get used to anything i don't like. .when i first got the T1s they wouldn't play as loud as my T90's, now they approach the spls of the hd800s i sold.(hd800s did not change at all in sound quality) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back