The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 3, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #4,126 of 23,532
My two penneth, in my experience the dx200 sound is definety better than an iphone, but not as good or convenient as iPhoneX +DF red and definitely not as good as iPhone + mojo. IPhone + df travels easily in your pocket, sucks little to no power and you can still use all of your phones features. Don’t get me wrong i think the dx200 sounds great and definitely has more power than a lot of its competitors and has lovely detailed sound and wide stage, it also sounds great when used as a transport with hugo2 but you’re limited to 24/192 files by it not having a usb out. Anyway I’ve come to the conclusion haviNg tried both, that For me when it comes to the ideal portable solution, iphone+usb dac is best, and whatever you think of apple the UI of iOS is unbeatable + iTunes Player now support 24/96 files and theres Onkyo HF for anything higher res.

I know there’s a lot to dislike about apple not least the cost of the handsets, but this is less of an issue in the UK where phones handset costs are heavily subsidised by the network providers.

But with the DX200 you get different amps and some of those amps sound better than iPhone and mojo, just sayin’ ...you can also stream and store music in “offline mode”

May 3, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #4,127 of 23,532
Heavily subsidized?u mean you dont think you pay more than full price after you add up the monthly payments and the upfront costs?anyway on the topic, the portability vs performance depends on the usage. If you are always on the move j wouldn't advise using a dap and a phone as you will have keys, cash or wallet to carry so the becomes
But with the DX200 you get different amps and some of those amps sound better than iPhone and mojo, just sayin’ ...you can also stream and store music in “offline mode”

Probably horses for courses and I’m just speaking out of personal preference. i rarely listening to my portable set up in either a quiet enough environment or one where my concentration is undivided enough for crtical listening so these additional benefits are outweighed by the inconvenience of another device. If I’m listening at home where critical listening is on occasion possible, then I always listen to whatever the digital tranport is through an external dac/amp.

There’s just no way any dap that exists at the moment using its internal amp and dac chips can compete sound quality-wise with this sort of set up. This might change in the future but essentially at the moment the tech required to do so won’t fit in the box

I have only heard amps 1 and 5 so i can’t comment on all of them, but the mojo is the best dac I’ve hear under £1k and it’s not even a fair comparison imo. It’s just got more power, the seperation, detail and musicality which can only be beaten by spending £2k+ on hugo2 or Ayre
codex. Either of the latter (in my instance the h2) are the heartbeat of my 12k 2 channel
set up.... I think what’s probably coming through here, just in case i haven’t banged on long enough, is I quite like external Dac’s :wink:

May 3, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,128 of 23,532
Only after you sold me your dx200 that you are saying this :p

May 3, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #4,129 of 23,532
It’s ok that’s just his opinion, I happen to totally disagree...the dx200 is fantastic, try to get an AMP 4s if possible

May 3, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #4,130 of 23,532
It’s ok that’s just his opinion, I happen to totally disagree...the dx200 is fantastic, try to get an AMP 4s if possible
Yep I know its just an opinion to each his own :)

May 3, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #4,131 of 23,532

Yep phew :wink: :)

No, i still think the dx200’ is the best sounding player that I’ve listened to and i auditioned pretty much everything up to £1500 before buying it. It’s just having gone through the process and for the reasons I’ve already mentioned I don’t think any dap that’s currently available will give me the perfect one-box solution for home/portable listening, that i had hoped it might. For that reason I’m not going to give
up the convenience of phone/dac and the sound quality of music/server hugo2 for critical and fun listening at home.

I’m new to headfi and I know I’massively in the minority holding this opinion, but you have mojo too don’t you? So I’ll be very interested to hear what you think.. you do of course have an ingredient I’ve not tried in your set up in the shape of
U18s.. :L3000:

May 3, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #4,132 of 23,532
Yep phew :wink: :)

No, i still think the dx200’ is the best sounding player that I’ve listened to and i auditioned pretty much everything up to £1500 before buying it. It’s just having gone through the process and for the reasons I’ve already mentioned I don’t think any dap that’s currently available will give me the perfect one-box solution for home/portable listening, that i had hoped it might. For that reason I’m not going to give
up the convenience of phone/dac and the sound quality of music/server hugo2 for critical and fun listening at home.

I’m new to headfi and I know I’massively in the minority holding this opinion, but you have mojo too don’t you? So I’ll be very interested to hear what you think.. you do of course have an ingredient I’ve not tried in your set up in the shape of
U18s.. :L3000:

No I don’t have a mojo, and I agree it sounds good and I value your opinion, there is nothing wrong about what you said. I’d probably get a mojo and a poly, but I hate stacking external dac so I use a DAP. It’s also a pain in the ass to use your phone when you have all sorts stuff attached to it. I don’t have a U18 either I have a Fourté and a A12t though and I will say the AMP 4s is like almost on par with the WM1Z. Bottom line is I don’t want to be truculent I agree the mojo is good but to me it’s just not as good...the Hugo 2 though, that is stupendous.

May 3, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #4,133 of 23,532
No I don’t have a mojo, and I agree it sounds good and I value your opinion, there is nothing wrong about what you said. I’d probably get a mojo and a poly, but I hate stacking external dac so I use a DAP. It’s also a pain in the ass to use your phone when you have all sorts stuff attached to it. I don’t have a U18 either I have a Fourté and a A12t though and I will say the AMP 4s is like almost on par with the WM1Z. Bottom line is I don’t want to be truculent I agree the mojo is good but to me it’s just not as good...the Hugo 2 though, that is stupendous.

Massive apologies that must have seemed like nonsense and quite chippy too. Just super clumsy posting on my part proving once and for all that i definitely cant multi-task. I was trying to respond to @swesko quote below, while feeding my youngest a bottle of milk. Fortunately i didn’t mess up the later :wink:

May 3, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4,134 of 23,532
64 Audio Tour Kit at Seattle Meet this Saturday - May 5!!!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/seattle-meet-at-bottleheadquarters-5-5-2018.876073/

64 Audio Tour Gear currently in my possession:
  • Trio (hybrid universal IEM)
  • U12t (12 driver per side IEM)
Along with my 64 Audio Gear:
  • Tia Fourte (TOTL universal hybrid IEM
  • Triton Audio Cables Trition8 - 8 conductor hybrid (4 copper & 4 Silver) 2-pin IEM cable
    • David with Triton (AKA @alpha421 ) does good work with cables
  • A18 (18 driver per side!!! Custom IEM - if it fits your ears)
Also the Beat Audio Premium IEM Cables Tour Gear currently in my possession:
  • Supernova MKII (4-wire) - 2pin/2.5mm balanced ($249)
  • Supernova MKII (8-wire) - 2pin/2.5mm balanced ($?)
  • Thor - 2pin/2.5mm balanced ($399) (Copper)
  • Prima Donna (4-wire) - 2pin/2.5mm balanced ($799) (Silver Alloy)
  • Prima Donna (8-wire) - 2pin/2.5mm balanced ($1199) (Silver Alloy)
  • Prima Donna adapter - 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm male
  • Prima Donna adapter - 2.5mm balanced female to 4.4mm balanced male

May 3, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #4,135 of 23,532
Yeah they say it can take 8 weeks, which is a long time.

I've been waiting for my Toxic Cable order for over 14 weeks, which is recently extended to another 2-3 weeks delay since I decided to add an extra Black Widow copper cable to my order...

My A18t order is about 3 weeks-old, I find myself being very patient after all the waiting...

May 4, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #4,139 of 23,532
I've been waiting for my Toxic Cable order for over 14 weeks, which is recently extended to another 2-3 weeks delay since I decided to add an extra Black Widow copper cable to my order...

My A18t order is about 3 weeks-old, I find myself being very patient after all the waiting...

You have a crazy amount of patience. I just decided to choose another cable when DHC told me their lead time was 6-10 weeks.
That's just absurdly long

May 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,140 of 23,532
You have a crazy amount of patience. I just decided to choose another cable when DHC told me their lead time was 6-10 weeks.
That's just absurdly long
And that's an optimistic estimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back