The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 3, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #4,111 of 23,532
After I got my A12t a friend let me try his ALO Audio Reference 8 and Orivetti Affinty cables to compare to the stock 64 cable. I ended up purchasing a Reference 8 cable that same day. I had my Mojo so I actually did Left/Right comparisons using both cables. The Ref 8 and Affinity both seemed to make the A12t "cleaner". Removed a bit of the mud that I honestly didn't notice until these cables removed it. Better extension, nicer highs. Overall the differences aren't life-changing but enough for me to want to purchase a cable. Which I can't believe I'm even saying, because I was always in the camp of "a cable is a cable". I was wrong.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #4,112 of 23,532
tri-copper
from what i read the tri-copper is more of a warm and smooth treble presentation as opposed to a neutral presentation (which is what i assume the leonidas is). Linus from headfonia told me that he doesn't like pairing copper cables with the a12t as his preference, and while i've yet to experiment, I doubt i want to smooth the treble down more than it already is. I'm thinking of getting the plussound gold plated silver

I'm hesitating on the leonidas because i heard its being discontinued soon. no word on its successor at the moment but i might wait for it.

May 3, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #4,113 of 23,532
My favorite of what I own is probably the Leonidas, i’m Hoping the tri-copper will be better, but i’ve Yet to receive it.

@swesko I don’t like the sound, or the aesthetics of the cable. It is a low quality cable and it feels like it
Looking forward to your impressions of the Tri-copper. Curious about the coloration it provides, as it seems to me copper responds a little more than silver to the addition of other metals in construction.

May 3, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #4,114 of 23,532
from what i read the tri-copper is more of a warm and smooth treble presentation as opposed to a neutral presentation (which is what i assume the leonidas is). Linus from headfonia told me that he doesn't like pairing copper cables with the a12t as his preference, and while i've yet to experiment, I doubt i want to smooth the treble down more than it already is. I'm thinking of getting the plussound gold plated silver

I'm hesitating on the leonidas because i heard its being discontinued soon. no word on its successor at the moment but i might wait for it.

The tri-copper is not a standard copper cable, but I could understand someone who says they don’t want to warm up the A12t to the point where it becomes too warm, but We shall see, I am very excited to get the cable i’ve Been waiting almost a month and a half to get it.

You could wait for the Leonidas successor, or it could end up being an $1000 cable. IMO the Leonidas is an outstanding cable, I find no faults with its quality, aesthetics, comfort, or sound. You really can’t go wrong with it and it goes with pretty much every IEM i’ve Ever used it with.

May 3, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #4,116 of 23,532
May 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #4,118 of 23,532
I'm not spending more than 200usd on a cable and that's a lot :) I might go with ref 8 as I liked it on my w80

May 3, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #4,120 of 23,532
When people say the bass is tightened by a cable does that mean it gives it more kick and gives it more presence?

To me, it means a reduction in mid-bass so there's less "bloat" to each kick. The jab itself is still impactful and strong, but the surface area of the punch has been reduced for more density.

May 3, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #4,121 of 23,532
Thank you! I didn’t expect an answer so quickly. I guess, from your experience, the extra weight is worth the improvement in SQ and versatility. I guess I’ll have to try it out. I was hoping to avoid the extra cost and having to carry around another pound (.5kg) of gear. This is for walking outside and airport/plane/train travel so lighter and fewer units is better.

My two penneth, in my experience the dx200 sound is definety better than an iphone, but not as good or convenient as iPhoneX +DF red and definitely not as good as iPhone + mojo. IPhone + df travels easily in your pocket, sucks little to no power and you can still use all of your phones features. Don’t get me wrong i think the dx200 sounds great and definitely has more power than a lot of its competitors and has lovely detailed sound and wide stage, it also sounds great when used as a transport with hugo2 but you’re limited to 24/192 files by it not having a usb out. Anyway I’ve come to the conclusion haviNg tried both, that For me when it comes to the ideal portable solution, iphone+usb dac is best, and whatever you think of apple the UI of iOS is unbeatable + iTunes Player now support 24/96 files and theres Onkyo HF for anything higher res.

I know there’s a lot to dislike about apple not least the cost of the handsets, but this is less of an issue in the UK where phones handset costs are heavily subsidised by the network providers.

May 3, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,122 of 23,532
My two penneth, in my experience the dx200 sound is definety better than an iphone, but not as good or convenient as iPhoneX +DF red and definitely not as good as iPhone + mojo. IPhone + df travels easily in your pocket, sucks little to no power and you can still use all of your phones features. Don’t get me wrong i think the dx200 sounds great and definitely has more power than a lot of its competitors and has lovely detailed sound and wide stage, it also sounds great when used as a transport with hugo2 but you’re limited to 24/192 files by it not having a usb out. Anyway I’ve come to the conclusion haviNg tried both, that For me when it comes to the ideal portable solution, iphone+usb dac is best, and whatever you think of apple the UI of iOS is unbeatable + iTunes Player now support 24/96 files and theres Onkyo HF for anything higher res.

I know there’s a lot to dislike about apple not least the cost of the handsets, but this is less of an issue in the UK where phones handset costs are heavily subsidised by the network providers.
Heavily subsidized?u mean you dont think you pay more than full price after you add up the monthly payments and the upfront costs?anyway on the topic, the portability vs performance depends on the usage. If you are always on the move j wouldn't advise using a dap and a phone as you will have keys, cash or wallet to carry so the becomes cumbersome

May 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #4,123 of 23,532

Thanks. That's exactly where I am in my thinking right now. When I'm moving around, less is more. The Red DF adds little to the bulk of the phone and greatly enhances the sound with the 18t. I'm on an iPhone 7+ right now with the Onkyo app and Red DF. My impressions arrive at 64Audio today. I'm hoping to have my A18ts in a few weeks and then I expect many wonderfully music filled hikes and walks and easy travel. Keys, etc. never go in the iPhone pocket, so not a problem. Light weight is a boon.
Luke

May 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #4,124 of 23,532
I'm not spending more than 200usd on a cable and that's a lot :) I might go with ref 8 as I liked it on my w80

Which one did you order, U18t or Fourte? I still think you should wait to get your IEM first and spend some time with a stock cable before spending any more money on aftermarket cables :wink: You might be happy with it as is.

May 3, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,125 of 23,532
Which one did you order, U18t or Fourte? I still think you should wait to get your IEM first and spend some time with a stock cable before spending any more money on aftermarket cables :wink: You might be happy with it as is.
The u18t :) yes I'm waiting, just considering my options and asking for opinions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back