The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 4, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #4,141 of 23,560
I've been waiting for my Toxic Cable order for over 14 weeks, which is recently extended to another 2-3 weeks delay since I decided to add an extra Black Widow copper cable to my order...

My A18t order is about 3 weeks-old, I find myself being very patient after all the waiting...
I wish I had that patience, i can barely handle Amazon prime... im a ticking time bomb waiting for my a18 right now

May 4, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #4,142 of 23,560
I wish I had that patience, i can barely handle Amazon prime... im a ticking time bomb waiting for my a18 right now
Tell me about it. My u18t should have arrived yesterday but someone somewhere messed up something

May 7, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #4,144 of 23,560
Hi have the Astell & kern sp1000 and am looking to pair it up with the a18's

Will be getting my impressions this week so guess will have the unit in a month or so

Just wanted to get thoughts on upgrading the stock cable. I like my music to have deep dynamic bass... and good treble, mainly listen to R&b but also like dance and guitar

Initial thoughts are the effect audio leonidas or the plus sound tri copper

Just seeing what people recommended for good bass or if you had any other recommendations

Thanks in advance

May 7, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #4,145 of 23,560

Will be getting my impressions this week so guess will have the unit in a month or so

Just wanted to get thoughts on upgrading the stock cable. I like my music to have deep dynamic bass... and good treble, mainly listen to R&b but also like dance and guitar

Just seeing what people recommended for good bass or if you had any other recommendations

Thanks in advance

Sorry update was referring to the plus sound x8 series tri copper thans

May 7, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #4,146 of 23,560

Thanks in advance

I auditioned the U18t with the sp1000, for a week long. Not a good combination. The high impedance on the sp1000 and the level of details it shots out, is too much for the 18 to handle. Sounded pretty nice with the iPod shuffle though...:)

May 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,147 of 23,560
Help!

So currently I am using a Leonidas 2.5mm with a 4.4mm adapter with my fourtes. Lately I've been trying to order 4.4mm terminated cables...I've gotten 2 cables from Effect Audio with 4.4mm connections, but neither of them works, if I tap the termination when it is plugged in the left ear cuts out and I have to move it slightly before it starts working again. I would be worried it was my source, but the 2.5mm with the 4.4mm adapter works, so I'm pretty sure it is the new cables.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

May 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #4,148 of 23,560
Help!

So currently I am using a Leonidas 2.5mm with a 4.4mm adapter with my fourtes. Lately I've been trying to order 4.4mm terminated cables...I've gotten 2 cables from Effect Audio with 4.4mm connections, but neither of them works, if I tap the termination when it is plugged in the left ear cuts out and I have to move it slightly before it starts working again. I would be worried it was my source, but the 2.5mm with the 4.4mm adapter works, so I'm pretty sure it is the new cables.

It sounds like you might have a grounding issue between the plug and the chassis. Can you see a difference between Effect Audio's 4.4mm connector and the adapter at the base of the plug (i.e. where the barrel of the plug meets the chassis of the player)? The old AK240 (or AK240SS; can't remember) had this issue where direct contact between the metallic base of the plug and the metallic chassis of the DAP would cause one side to cut out. Also, check the black insulating ring around the 4.4mm jack on your player to see it it's intact.

May 7, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #4,149 of 23,560
It sounds like you might have a grounding issue between the plug and the chassis. Can you see a difference between Effect Audio's 4.4mm connector and the adapter at the base of the plug (i.e. where the barrel of the plug meets the chassis of the player)? The old AK240 (or AK240SS; can't remember) had this issue where direct contact between the metallic base of the plug and the metallic chassis of the DAP would cause one side to cut out. Also, check the black insulating ring around the 4.4mm jack on your player to see it it's intact.

Ugh. I can see a slight difference. The Effect Audio plug's base looks like it sits slightly up whereas the adapter's plug's base is completely flat. What do I do about this??

May 7, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #4,150 of 23,560
Ugh. I can see a slight difference. The Effect Audio plug's base looks like it sits slightly up whereas the adapter's plug's base is completely flat. What do I do about this??

Try adding an insulating material (like tape or plastic) around the base of the Effect Audio plug, especially where it makes contact with the chassis. If the plug works perfectly fine, then it is indeed a grounding issue. My WM1A works perfectly fine with Effect Audio plugs, so you can either add a ring of tape around the player's plug (which is what AK240SS owners used to do), get the player inspected by Sony, or contact Eric from Effect Audio to see if they have a workaround towards this issue.

May 7, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #4,151 of 23,560
Help!

Try adding an insulating material (like tape or plastic) around the base of the Effect Audio plug, especially where it makes contact with the chassis. If the plug works perfectly fine, then it is indeed a grounding issue. My WM1A works perfectly fine with Effect Audio plugs, so you can either add a ring of tape around the player's plug (which is what AK240SS owners used to do), get the player inspected by Sony, or contact Eric from Effect Audio to see if they have a workaround towards this issue.
I would guess if your adapter works, it's probably not the DAP, but that's just a guess. And if you see a gap between your new cable's connector base and body of the DAP, I wouldn't think it's a grounding problem. The first adapter I got from EA didn't work at all, no sound whatsoever. It was their Pentaconn adapter. I returned it and they replaced it and voila, the new one worked fine. Just curious if you have the stock EA connectors or Pentaconns on your cables? My stock EA connector works with no problems on the 1Z.

May 7, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #4,152 of 23,560
87CAE56B-24AB-44DA-8667-3BAFDA9BC316.jpeg
I would guess if your adapter works, it's probably not the DAP, but that's just a guess. And if you see a gap between your new cable's connector base and body of the DAP, I wouldn't think it's a grounding problem. The first adapter I got from EA didn't work at all, no sound whatsoever. It was their Pentaconn adapter. I returned it and they replaced it and voila, the new one worked fine. Just curious if you have the stock EA connectors or Pentaconns on your cables? My stock EA connector works with no problems on the 1Z.

I have added a rubber band as a spacer and it works great, but I can’t help but feel like I shouldn’t have to do this when I spend $500 on a cable...

I also have both adapters the Pentaconn and their regular and I have the same problem with both, but strangely not with my adapter (I added a picture of fourtes to make it relevant to the thread :wink: )

May 7, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #4,153 of 23,560
Here is the adapter that works next to the Effect that doesn’t 297E6857-D87E-42D7-8768-4FCA73B25C75.jpeg

May 8, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #4,154 of 23,560

I have added a rubber band as a spacer and it works great, but I can’t help but feel like I shouldn’t have to do this when I spend $500 on a cable...

I also have both adapters the Pentaconn and their regular and I have the same problem with both, but strangely not with my adapter (I added a picture of fourtes to make it relevant to the thread :wink: )

Oh, my apologies, I didn't realise you had an iBasso DAP. Well, if that's the case, it looks like it's indeed a grounding issue. You can ask iBasso whether or not this is a commonly-occurring problem and whether or not they could send you a thin ring of plastic - acting as a spacer - to paste on your DAP. You can ask for something similar from Effect Audio to apply on the base of the cable.

Interesting... I guess I'm just lucky then. :D

May 8, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #4,155 of 23,560

You can ask iBasso whether or not this is a commonly-occurring problem and whether or not they could send you a thin ring of plastic - acting as a spacer - to paste on your DAP. You can ask for something similar from Effect Audio to apply on the base of the cable.
Yep it's a known issue with the Amp 4/4s modules. iBasso usually sends those spacers along with their CA02 adapters, but if not they can send you a pack, you just pay $5 for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back