The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #6,003 of 9,165
Quote:
I was just going to get a case for it that also covers the volume nob, so I won't accidentally turn it.

You are aware that there is a volume "lock" right?  It disables the knob when the screen is off.  You can only change the volume when you turn on the screen with that option.  However, even with that option disabled, I have not found this to be a big problem.  Since the knob changes volume in very small increments, there is never a dramatic change in volume from accidents.

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #6,004 of 9,165
Quote:
You are aware that there is a volume "lock" right?  It disables the knob when the screen is off.  You can only change the volume when you turn on the screen with that option.  However, even with that option disabled, I have not found this to be a big problem.  Since the knob changes volume in very small increments, there is never a dramatic change in volume from accidents.

+1

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #6,005 of 9,165
Thanks! You're a great help. Do you have any thought on RWAK100?

i have RWAK and love its sound, still i find RWAK benefiting from good amping but can use both stand alone and amped without much issue.
actually if you plan amping ask Spkrs01 since he finds stock AK with some higher end amping sounding as great as moded, but if you want only AK and no amp then RWAK or Mezzo moded AK make perfect sense. from what i hear Mezzo mod sounds more rich bass narrower stage great mids and focus. RWAK is spacious 3D detail rich and relatiely tight bass.

all you need is decide if you want it amped or standalone for portability? Once you decide it will be easier to make choice.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #6,006 of 9,165
Would anyone with the AK100 actually recommend the volume protector? It seems redundant.
I really hate the way the AK120's volume knob looks. It kills an otherwise beautiful player in my opinion.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #6,007 of 9,165
Quote:
Would anyone with the AK100 actually recommend the volume protector? It seems redundant.
I really hate the way the AK120's volume knob looks. It kills an otherwise beautiful player in my opinion.

I like the AK100 looks better also but my AK120's definitely feels a lot sturdier and doesn't really look that much different which the stock case on.  People don't even notice it's an AK120 instead of AK100.

Having said that, my AK100 went thru a lot of abuse and the knob hasn't had any problem despite this wiggly feeling.  I'd also say "protector" is redundant.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #6,008 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks! You're a great help. Do you have any thought on RWAK100?

Everyday I shuffled back 'n forth between my RWAK100 & my Tera Player depending on which IEM I'm wearing. Since both are small I carry both. I've put on Listrid's 2.0 on my RWAK100 and satisfied enough with it it that I don't feel the need to pick up the AK120 (yet?).

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #6,009 of 9,165
Quote:
The S Mod increasingly makes business sense if enough AK100 owners are feeding the headphone out to an amp anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Plus the digital out is preserved.  Which is great because I'm thinking of pairing one with an upcoming HiFi-M8 LX...

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6,010 of 9,165
BTW i just ordered the Pico power and was wondering if anyone had tried to the RWAK100s or is it still kind of new and no one has gotten the mod done? Im really considering it since I was already going to amp the RWAK100 with pico power, and now the s mod comes out.....

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #6,011 of 9,165
Quote:
BTW i just ordered the Pico power and was wondering if anyone had tried to the RWAK100s or is it still kind of new and no one has gotten the mod done? Im really considering it since I was already going to amp the RWAK100 with pico power, and now the s mod comes out.....

Hi ivanrocks321,

We'll be shipping RWAK100-S units starting this week, so hopefully there will be impressions posted soon enough.

Thanks for all your interest and support,

Vinnie

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #6,013 of 9,165
Quote:
Another question. So technically, I am double amping my plugging my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII into hp out of AK100, right? So the 22ohm is still there. But how come plugging them into an amp solves the impedance issue for my UERM?

Hi kimvictor,

The 22-ohm output impedance of the AK100's headphone output stage is an issue when driving headphones, which are low impedance (e.g. 32 ohm).  But the input impedance of a headphone amp is going to be much higher (most likely above 5,000 ohm, or 5k), so the 22-ohm output impedance is much less of an issue.   

You'll probably read about the "10x rule," where if the output impedance of your amp is 22-ohm, you want your headphones to be 220 ohm or greater to avoid problems.  

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #6,014 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi kimvictor,

The 22-ohm output impedance of the AK100's headphone output stage is an issue when driving headphones, which are low impedance (e.g. 32 ohm).  But the input impedance of a headphone amp is going to be much higher (most likely above 5,000 ohm, or 5k), so the 22-ohm output impedance is much less of an issue.   

You'll probably read about the "10x rule," where if the output impedance of your amp is 22-ohm, you want your headphones to be 220 ohm or greater to avoid problems.  

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Oh! OK. I get it. So that's why it worked... I guess I probably want my AK100 modded by you though... I bought the AK100 so that I won't have to bother using an headphone amp.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #6,015 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi kimvictor,

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Correct me if I'm wrong Vinnie, but I understood the rule of thumb to be an 8 x multiplier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back