The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5,971 of 9,165
Quote:
I think AK100 modded (I used to have a Stage 2 mod) WITH Listrid 2.0 is an excellent player. The AK120 is above, but not by THAT much.

X2.....I have the Mezzo Modded AK100 with the Listrid UI and it sounds very good. I had to really listen hard to hear the difference between the 100 and the 120.

The owner of Mezzo HIFI, Phanom is great to deal with. A genuine nice guy and who loves audio just like us

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #5,972 of 9,165
Quote:
The 450,000 is used. I was thinking about the X5, but I think I would much prefer the UI and AK100's features(radio, external dac, dual micro sd, msq...) as well as its design/size.

Let me save you the disappointment of discovering after you have purchased it.... There aint no radio in the AK100

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,975 of 9,165
Quote:
I think AK100 modded (I used to have a Stage 2 mod) WITH Listrid 2.0 is an excellent player. The AK120 is above, but not by THAT much.

Agreed. I really liked the 3D presentation of the AK120 though.

I've given some thoughts on the AK100 - 120 in my signature below if that interests anyone. I haven't heard the RWAK-100 mod though. But I think I may be hearing a few other mods in time to come, fingers crossed. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #5,977 of 9,165
I finally received my Viablue 8 conductor Twag v3 mini to mini cable from Whiplash Audio and it just completely opened up the sound of my RWAK100 connected to my ALO Audio The International amp. Prior to that I was using a cheap cable and I couldn't believe the difference it made.

The only downside is the long wait in getting your order.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #5,978 of 9,165
Just a quick thing. UERM are a terrible match with AK100. With 22ohm output impedance, all(at least 10db) of treble is lost. UERM is really sensitive to output impedance. Paired with my leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, these really shine. But on it's own the bass and mids are very very good....but treble is gone.. I think I will go for modding my AK100. Are there any cheaper options than $250 modding done by Red Wine Audio? $250 seems a bit expensive

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #5,979 of 9,165
Just a quick thing. UERM are a terrible match with AK100. With 22ohm output impedance, all(at least 10db) of treble is lost. UERM is really sensitive to output impedance. Paired with my leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, these really shine. But on it's own the bass and mids are very very good....but treble is gone.. I think I will go for modding my AK100. Are there any cheaper options than $250 modding done by Red Wine Audio? $250 seems a bit expensive

Other than DIY which is risky, the other options all cost same or more I think. RWA mod is worth every cent.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #5,983 of 9,165
I got the Fiio L2 mini to mini cable. What do you guys think about this for AK100?

Well it work from Headphone on the AK100 to input on a portable amp. Whether a better cable will provide better results is ally going to be down to your ears. Different cables may provide different sound signatures.....for instance my FAW silver mini to mini sounds better then the Fiio L2 I have......it provides a clearer and brighter sound signature to my ears.

The L2 will get you started at a reasonable and inexpensive cost.....if you want to try a different cable later on you can do.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #5,984 of 9,165
Quote:
Alright. I guess it's between MS mod and RWA mod. What's the difference? Sorry if it was already mentioned in this tread. Search feature on head-fi is really confusing.

AnakChan has heard both. I believe I'll also be demo-ing both side by side in the "near" future. That aside, the alternative is to read MS and RW mod comments and then to contrast both. My opinions on the units are in my sig, barring the RW mod as I haven't heard it. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #5,985 of 9,165
Quote:
Well it work from Headphone on the AK100 to input on a portable amp. Whether a better cable will provide better results is ally going to be down to your ears. Different cables may provide different sound signatures.....for instance my FAW silver mini to mini sounds better then the Fiio L2 I have......it provides a clearer and brighter sound signature to my ears.

The L2 will get you started at a reasonable and inexpensive cost.....if you want to try a different cable later on you can do.

I just went for the L2 because it was cheap, and I had faith in Fiio for their good build and quality(for it's price). I liked their lod, so I have the mini to mini a try. It should come within two days. So from what I've read, I'm not double amping as long as I have my AK100's volume set to max, right?
Quote:

AnakChan has heard both. I believe I'll also be demo-ing both side by side in the "near" future. That aside, the alternative is to read MS and RW mod comments and then to contrast both. My opinions on the units are in my sig, barring the RW mod as I haven't heard it. 

Alright, time for research! Anyways, I was looking for a flat sound sig that works with the UERM.... I hope I can find a mod like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back