The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 22, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #5,957 of 9,165
Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Beyer T5p directly out of the stock AK100? My T70p work really well and assume the T5p would as well, but just wanted to see if anyone had a view?

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #5,958 of 9,165
Quote:
yeah, that would be totally nuts

Paying a few hundred dollars to fix a high impedance issue (and a few more $$$ to change dac) then pairing it with an amp with an unknown output impedance. Totally nuts! 

Quote:
I must be nuts then and this week just pushed the button on AK100 S and the MK3 B+ plus a pair ATH 3000 anv !
Also waiting for some toxic cables from the UK
Fed up with being always the bridesmaid !

So awaiting delivery of my audio jigsaw down under!

Meant "nuts" as if in stepping up and be the first to test them out on behalf of the community. Thanks Dragoon!

Also to be fair the S mod is a hardware conversion to make the AK100 a pure transport only, so a different aim to the original RWA mod, which was to "fix" the impedance but retain the dap functionality :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #5,959 of 9,165
Quote:
So if I am not interested in a true line out and I listen to music only trough headphones shall I still consider this mod?
When the DSD firmware will be released will it work.
Looking forward to see what you can do for the AK120 Vinnie
Cheers.. Musicday

If you are going to use a AMP you could consider. No AMP no sound with the conversion AFAIK.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5,960 of 9,165
Spkrs, congrats on new toys.

lol, that amp kobo costs close to ak120? bloody cool price it must sound as good to jistify it. :)

as concerns Bladelius i was never a fan of Swede high end, loved Danes brands a bit quite a bit more.

something tells me this review nails it down about Swede approach to sound: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/06/bladelius-design-group-usb-dac/

if that is similar to cold bloodied sound of Primare then i am out... And equally their 10k Guru q60 floorstander left me wonder what for they ask such a ton of money, even wife called that a waste of money after hearing this in audition room of one my dealer.

and yes, i had a chance to listen to one of Bladelius amps which left me feel like being cut into pieces with a small sharp knive

so am sceptic about Swede ability to pull great sound :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5,966 of 9,165
With the interest in mods, it looks like the AK100 has a long life ahead of it.  I just got them and while I am still getting adjusted to the sound, it's an excellent player with the Listrid 2.0 interface.

My next goal is to figure out whether I really want to Red Wine Audio the player or sell it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #5,968 of 9,165
Yes! I found a AK100, new and sealed, for 540,000won or about $470usd. I'm guessing that's a good deal.

I thought u said u found one earlier for 450,000? Either way both is a very good deal. But ever thought of waiting for X5 which is supposed to be better for the same price?
Heard the X3 is on par with the AK100 and is only half the price of what your paying. Or 3 times of the retail :)

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #5,969 of 9,165
Quote:
I thought u said u found one earlier for 450,000? Either way both is a very good deal. But ever thought of waiting for X5 which is supposed to be better for the same price?
Heard the X3 is on par with the AK100 and is only half the price of what your paying. Or 3 times of the retail
smily_headphones1.gif

The 450,000 is used. I was thinking about the X5, but I think I would much prefer the UI and AK100's features(radio, external dac, dual micro sd, msq...) as well as its design/size.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #5,970 of 9,165
Quote:
With the interest in mods, it looks like the AK100 has a long life ahead of it.  I just got them and while I am still getting adjusted to the sound, it's an excellent player with the Listrid 2.0 interface.

My next goal is to figure out whether I really want to Red Wine Audio the player or sell it.

I think AK100 modded (I used to have a Stage 2 mod) WITH Listrid 2.0 is an excellent player. The AK120 is above, but not by THAT much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back