The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,216 of 9,165
So I got some new Micro SDXC 64gig cards.  They seem to be formatted in ExFAT and I'm having trouble switching them to FAT32.

Now the ppl who have had success using the 64gig cards, did the AK100 take the ExFAT file system or did you guys have to do some technical trickery to reformat them to FAT32?  EG: Did you use a special program to change the format?  I've tried using the regular OS formatting tools in Windows 7-64big. Windows XP. and OXS Mountain Lion with no results.

TIA!

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,218 of 9,165
I think Windows can format FAT only up to 32 GB (but access - read and write - also larger FAT-formatted devices). For formatting a device with more than 32 GB FAT under Windows, you will need an extra (freeware) tool. FAT itself goes up to 16 TB per device in theory.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #1,219 of 9,165
Quote:
I think Windows can format FAT only up to 32 GB...

Hmmm.....
confused.gif

I have personally re-formatted SanDisk SDXC 64GB Cards from exFAT32 to FAT32 with no problems with the above mentioned Panasonic SD Formatter.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,220 of 9,165
Quote:

Hmmm.....
confused.gif

I have personally re-formatted SanDisk SDXC 64GB Cards from exFAT32 to FAT32 with no problems with the above mentioned Panasonic SD Formatter.

I think (s)he was referring to the native formatting tool that's part of Windows.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #1,222 of 9,165
So I got some new Micro SDXC 64gig cards.  They seem to be formatted in ExFAT and I'm having trouble switching them to FAT32.

Now the ppl who have had success using the 64gig cards, did the AK100 take the ExFAT file system or did you guys have to do some technical trickery to reformat them to FAT32?  EG: Did you use a special program to change the format?  I've tried using the regular OS formatting tools in Windows 7-64big. Windows XP. and OXS Mountain Lion with no results.

TIA!

I followed the instructions on the ALO website for formatting 64gig cards to fat32 using the Utilities app on my MB air. Both cards work great.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,223 of 9,165
First time around, I thought the AK100 was reading my exFAT-formatted card(s), but after re-checking just now: apparently no. Would have been nice in terms of filenames, folder depth etc...

On a Mac, any version of OS X, to format in FAT32:
- insert the card in your reader or connect the AK100 with the card inside
- once it's visible on the desktop, launch Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility
- highlight the card on the left sidebar, on right side click on the Erase tab (towards the top)
- from the drop-down menu appearing below, choose MS-DOS (FAT) -> it will always be FAT32
- Enter a name, click on Erase

Done. In the future, you'll always be able to go back to exFAT anytime, since it's another option in that drop-down menu. I'm using a 64GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card without a problem.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,224 of 9,165
Quote:
They never existed :wink:. Unless you are referring to the old school high quality CD players.

I still have 2 trusty Sony D-777s. Fantastic little CD players, and their SQ jumps up & down all over my Cowon J3 (truthfully)

Admittedly, DX100 beats D-777, though...

I really don't see the AK100 as a DX100 killer. My future money is on either a Hibino-flavoured DX100 (AKA 'HDP-R10') or, maybe (if it ever materializes) an HM-901.

Even though the 901 is larger than the AK100, I'm far more optimistic about the 901's performance than the AK100's performance.

I'm not saying the above to rain on the AK100 - I'm sure it's a very nice player, it's just that it seems (to me at least) to be really pushing its luck in terms of pricing, and that's with or without the RWA mod.

I have been openly critical of Fang's attitude in the 901 thread, but I still respect his single-minded approach to audiophile DAPs, and I do believe that the 901 will be a thoroughbred audiophile device.

The AK100, on the other hand, seems, to this onlooker, to be equal parts   audiophile-badged / luxury bling / midrangeDAP, and I really don't care for the middle part of that 33/33/33 equation. I feel similarly about AKG's (IMO) overpriced K3003 earphones. Yes, they're well made, but they reek of 'luxury bling' style marketing and could doubtless be sold at drastically less whilst still being profitable. Both the K3003 and the AK100 may be respectable products but I don't feel they are being marketed entirely honestly, in terms of pricing or intended audience.

I haven't heard the AK100. I am merely stating my gut instincts, that's all.

Time will tell, and I'm not too pig-headed to admit being wrong, if time should prove that appropriate. We shall see, and I'll be interested to hear feedback from Head-fiers about how the RWA AK100 performs.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,225 of 9,165
Quote:

I still have 2 trusty Sony D-777s. Fantastic little CD players, and their SQ jumps up & down all over my Cowon J3 (truthfully)

Admittedly, DX100 beats D-777, though...

I really don't see the AK100 as a DX100 killer. My future money is on either a Hibino-flavoured DX100 (AKA 'HDP-R10') or, maybe (if it ever materializes) an HM-901.

Even though the 901 is larger than the AK100, I'm far more optimistic about the 901's performance than the AK100's performance.

I'm not saying the above to rain on the AK100 - I'm sure it's a very nice player, it's just that it seems (to me at least) to be pushing its luck in terms of pricing, and that's with or without the RWA mod.

Time will tell, and I'm not too pig-headed to admit being wrong, if time should prove that necessary. We shall see, and I'll be interested to hear feedback from Head-fiers about how the RWA AK100 performs.

The AK100 sound-wise is already known not to be a DX100 killer. Some of us (or me only?) have (has) already compared the AK100 side-by-side to the DX100. The only question now is does the RWAK100 mod at least meet the DX100 SQ. For me, if so, this will be a win but not in terms of SQ. If I can get the same DX100 SQ but in a smaller package with a longer battery, then it's a win as an overall package.

The HDP-R10 kinda disappointed me somewhat. The OPA627 was nice but I was really looking forward to some kind of DSD native playback. Instead the OS converts and down-samples to 24/192 hires before reaching the DAC (ok, granted...in real time). Effectively then you consume more space but would sound no better than a self-converted & down-sampled and save space.

The 901 October prototype didn't really do much for me. Admittedly Fang did mention that the final was going to change dramatically (which makes me wonder why exhibit the prototype then) and the construction back then too felt -really- plasticky.

The Fiio X3 development sounds rather interesting though. Due in May.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #1,226 of 9,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The AK100 sound-wise is already known not to be a DX100 killer. Some of us (or me only?) have (has) already compared the AK100 side-by-side to the DX100. The only question now is does the RWAK100 mod at least meet the DX100 SQ. For me, if so, this will be a win but not in terms of SQ. If I can get the same DX100 SQ but in a smaller package with a longer battery, then it's a win as an overall package.

Yes, I do appreciate that the DX100 is a total housebrick. It annoys me that it's so big. But damn.... it sounds sooo good!
If, as you are hoping, the RWAK100 maybe gets close to DX100 SQ, then that would be nice to have something much more compact to put in one's pocket. I don't dispute that. But I still couldn't help feeling like it was a Skoda with 2 turbochargers and nitrous oxide injection, just to keep up with a Ferrari.

I think, if they had been so-inclined, Cowon could have modified the J3 to be something similar to the AK100 product, but Cowon are (IMO) more sincere in their pricing and marketing.

Quote:

The HDP-R10 kinda disappointed me somewhat. The OPA627 was nice but I was really looking forward to some kind of DSD native playback. Instead the OS converts and down-samples to 24/192 hires before reaching the DAC (ok, granted...in real time). Effectively then you consume more space but would sound no better than a self-converted & down-sampled and save space.

Thanks for the info. The HDP-R10 is of interest to me purely because of the different battery configuration, nothing to do with the DSD playback capability or OPA627.   However, it's not a huge issue for me and I'd still consider just getting a DX100 again, when funds allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 901 October prototype didn't really do much for me. Admittedly Fang did mention that the final was going to change dramatically (which makes me wonder why exhibit the prototype then) and the construction back then too felt -really- plasticky.

I've not owned an 801, but I know many people have said it is terribly 'plasticky'. I really hope Fang doesn't make the same mistake with the 901, although the alleged recent delay in release, due to a weak battery cover, doesn't bode well in that regard. One thing I like about the DX100, even though it's clunky, is that the chassis is pretty well made (although the screen could ideally be less plasticky).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've not followed the X3, simply because although I've been aware of it, I am also aware that Fiio were developing an audiophile DAP a couple of years ago and the project disappeared, did it not..? Therefore, I was not optimistic to get my hopes up about the X3, but if it really does look to be a reality now, I will keep an eye on it...
But, having said that, it's not in the same league as the DX100/HM-901, is it, or have things changed? Is the X3 now intended to be a high-end DAP?

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,227 of 9,165
Quote:
I've not followed the X3, simply because although I've been aware of it, I am also aware that Fiio were developing an audiophile DAP a couple of years ago and the project disappeared, did it not..? Therefore, I was not optimistic to get my hopes up about the X3, but if it really does look to be a reality now, I will keep an eye on it...
But, having said that, it's not in the same league as the DX100/HM-901, is it, or have things changed? Is the X3 now intended to be a high-end DAP?

No, it won't be a high end dap but it will be a decently small $180 transport with both line out and digital outs that supports all the big formats.  If the UI is worth anything, it'll be an excellent deal for my purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back