The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 31, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #6,811 of 9,165
That's probably true. The issue with multi-BA drivers is the variation of impedance across the frequency range. In theory a single BA should present a more consistent load at all frequencies and therefore not have significant fluctuations to the power delivered (and therefore the volume at each frequency).

I went looking for impedance vs frequency graphs for the FAD Heaven IV but couldn't find any.

In theory, damping (the ability to precisely control the movement of the driver) should still be an issue with such mismatched impedance, but maybe the Heaven IV is well damped mechanically and doesn't rely on electrical damping.

I'd be very interested to hear some opinions from people with the AK100 and other high end devices with low OI because the Heavens are an interesting prospect at their price and reported performance

Got the AK-FAD Heaven IV special edition earlier but can't say I m impressed with it on AK100 (stock). For single BA I much prefer the pairing with Er4s.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #6,812 of 9,165
i am afraid to repeat someone's else post but Gapless on AK100 does NOT work with mp3.

why iRiver applies sado-maso updates which give us wanted features only bit by bit and long time waiting.
mad.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #6,813 of 9,165
problem...i went to my local store to try out amps with optical in and plugged the optical cable to the amp and to the optical out on the ak100...then the ak100 displayed two options i forgot what they said but pressing the one at the bottom made the player unusable with a text saying music cannot be controlled when connected to the optical blah blah blah...and when i choose the other option it displays everything per-normal but no sound comes out of the amp !?!?!?!

only works when i put the optical cable in the headphone out jack !!! then it works !!! is it still double amping like this ????if so then screw this im getting a T1 !!!

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #6,814 of 9,165
problem...i went to my local store to try out amps with optical in and plugged the optical cable to the amp and to the optical out on the ak100...then the ak100 displayed two options i forgot what they said but pressing the one at the bottom made the player unusable with a text saying music cannot be controlled when connected to the optical blah blah blah...and when i choose the other option it displays everything per-normal but no sound comes out of the amp !?!?!?!

only works when i put the optical cable in the headphone out jack !!! then it works !!! is it still double amping like this ????if so then screw this im getting a T1 !!!

No, not double amping. The right-hand socket (ie closer to the lock button) is optical IN. The left socket is headphone out (amped) and optical OUT (unamped as a digital feed). Using the optical out provides an "untouched" signal to your portable DAC/amp and turns the AK100 into just a transport.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #6,816 of 9,165
Haven't kept up here much. So there is the new firmware for USB use. Did iRiver ever address the gapless performance?

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #6,817 of 9,165
Quote:
Haven't kept up here much. So there is the new firmware for USB use. Did iRiver ever address the gapless performance?

Yes. v2.10 handles USB DAC (although I am having troubles with noise during track changes etc. using WASAPI). Can't comment on gapless as I don't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back