The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6,797 of 9,165
Quote:
I experience the same problem with displaying bit-depth, but not the skipping problem. The provider of the downloaded ALAC-file (highresaudio.com) guarantees 24-bit-depth. However, my stock AK100 displays playing a 16/96 file. The problem does not change after converting the ALAC-file into FLAC.
Greetings
Hobbyte

I have to correct my last sentence. I just converted the ALAC-file to FLAC again using XLD. Now my AK100 displays it as 24/96. I don´t know what I did when converting it before. Sorry for the disturbance. - But why does the AK100 displays the ALAC-file as 16/96?

Hobbyte

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #6,798 of 9,165
Quote:
I just downloaded a trial version of audirvana plus and imported the ALAC-file. Audirvana displays it as a 24/96 file.

That's the same thing that happened to me.
A fellow HeadFier is going to send me an ALAC file that shows up as 24 bit on his AK.
I will test it on my AK and see what happens. Let's see

I really hope the problem is with my files and not with the AK.
I'm hoping it has something to do with converting FLAC to ALAC on MAX.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #6,800 of 9,165
Sorry to ask this question....as I have no time to search the thread.  How is the JH13pro (original) + stock AK100?  Any problem with bass roll off?  Thanks.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #6,801 of 9,165
Quote:
Sorry to ask this question....as I have no time to search the thread.  How is the JH13pro (original) + stock AK100?  Any problem with bass roll off?  Thanks.

With the 22 ohm output impedance of the stock AK100, I'd be shocked if there wasn't some sort of roll off or other failing.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #6,802 of 9,165
With the 22 ohm output impedance of the stock AK100, I'd be shocked if there wasn't some sort of roll off or other failing.
Listening with the Miracles I thought this impedance thing was a bit overdone. A modded ak100 sounds better and smoother but I did not think it was the distortion disco either.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #6,803 of 9,165
Interesting. Iriver partnering with Final Audio Design:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/astell-kern/astell-kern-akr01.html

I wonder if there are actual mods to the Heaven IV for this version - or is it just cosmetic with the AK logo on it.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #6,804 of 9,165
Quote:
Interesting. Iriver partnering with Final Audio Design:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/astell-kern/astell-kern-akr01.html

I wonder if there are actual mods to the Heaven IV for this version - or is it just cosmetic with the AK logo on it.

Interesting indeed. These are 16 ohm impedance phones and the AK is 22.....they say great match for either AK1.. According to Mim they are right.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #6,805 of 9,165
I've been using this combo and find it sounds satisfactorily.  I did not notice any roll off's!
The Heaven IV that comes with the iRiver is in a special color (metallic grey) with the AK logo on it that looks real nice (better than the standard ones IMHO).   It does not come with storage case but with all the other accessories.
It was sold not much higher than the AK100 alone and is very good value.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6,806 of 9,165

I'm not sure how it sounds with JH13, but with the TG!334 which is a multi BA drivers iem, the bass roll-off is very noticeable.
Best if you try it yourself if you have the chance

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #6,807 of 9,165
Finally, after a long wait, the Knob Protector 2 is here. *not very impressed by the colour together with the AK100 to be honest, but i like the matt gold finish*

The build quality of the knob protector is solid. I've tried to bend it in ways i can possibly think of with my bare hands/fingers/thumbs, and it just wouldn't bend to my will.

So here's how it looks like with the Original iRiver Case for AK100

And here's another picture with a clear 3.5mm dust cap.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #6,808 of 9,165
Quote:
Interesting indeed. These are 16 ohm impedance phones and the AK is 22.....they say great match for either AK1.. According to Mim they are right.

If I am not mistaken, it is the multi-BA driver IEMs that are affected by the high impedance................not single BA drivers.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #6,809 of 9,165
Quote:

If I am not mistaken, it is the multi-BA driver IEMs that are affected by the high impedance................not single BA drivers.

That's probably true. The issue with multi-BA drivers is the variation of impedance across the frequency range. In theory a single BA should present a more consistent load at all frequencies and therefore not have significant fluctuations to the power delivered (and therefore the volume at each frequency).

I went looking for impedance vs frequency graphs for the FAD Heaven IV but couldn't find any.

In theory, damping (the ability to precisely control the movement of the driver) should still be an issue with such mismatched impedance, but maybe the Heaven IV is well damped mechanically and doesn't rely on electrical damping.

I'd be very interested to hear some opinions from people with the AK100 and other high end devices with low OI because the Heavens are an interesting prospect at their price and reported performance

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #6,810 of 9,165
Finally, after a long wait, the Knob Protector 2 is here. *not very impressed by the colour together with the AK100 to be honest, but i like the matt gold finish*

The build quality of the knob protector is solid. I've tried to bend it in ways i can possibly think of with my bare hands/fingers/thumbs, and it just wouldn't bend to my will.

So here's how it looks like with the Original iRiver Case for AK100

And here's another picture with a clear 3.5mm dust cap.

I actually ordered one of these the other week. Still waiting for it but looking at your photos I'm even more excited to get it. It looks really solid and goes pretty well with the case as well. I also like the idea of the clear plug too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back