The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #6,781 of 9,165
Quote:
http://dropbox.com/sh/tft1ydwrdbk9dh2/uF3du-7MCR/Listrid%20patch%202

just install it over your firmware by unzipping and placing the hex file in the root folder of your ak100

I tried reverting to Listrid 2.0 from iRiver 2.10 and it didn't work. The Listrid hex file is on the root and stays there. When I disconnect the USB cable nothing happens. I turn it off and on again and still nothing.It's like the player doesn't detect it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6,782 of 9,165
Quote:
I tried reverting to Listrid 2.0 from iRiver 2.10 and it didn't work. The Listrid hex file is on the root and stays there. When I disconnect the USB cable nothing happens. I turn it off and on again and still nothing.It's like the player doesn't detect it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Try downgrading to 2.01 then install listrid 2.0

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #6,783 of 9,165
Thanks for the tip jonckr, it's working now. I can now alternate between Listrid 2.0 and iRiver 2.10 with no problems. That's weird that I couldn't do it before. Anyway, I did some quick listening tests between both firmwares to see wich one sounds the best to me and I agree with rudi0504 that Listrid 2.0 sounds better. One thing I find though, is that iRiver 2.10 is more airy than Listrid's. My setup is as follows:

RWAK100-S 
SR-71B
HD800

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #6,784 of 9,165
Quote:
I tried reverting to Listrid 2.0 from iRiver 2.10 and it didn't work. The Listrid hex file is on the root and stays there.

FWI -

Listrid FW does not re-label the iriver Boot Page FW ID#.

That will always say the ID of the iriver FW at the time the Listrid 'patch' was installed (on top of it).

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #6,786 of 9,165
Just recently got an AK100 and am experiencing a problem. Wanted to see if anybody else has experienced the same.

When I try to play back ALAC files, they always play back at 16 bit.
So, when playing a 24/192 ALAC file, the AK100 displays that it's playing a 16/192 file. 
I don't know if there is a sonic difference, but on these these files the track will sometimes start to skip, and then as soon as I touch anything on the player, the track starts playing normally again.

I've tested these files on my computer with audirvana plus and they playback without skipping at the proper bit depth. They also seem to playback fine when using the AK100 as a usb dac (I can't tell what bit depth the tracks are being played back at, but there is no skipping).
I am having no problems with my FLAC files, the issue is only with ALAC files.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #6,787 of 9,165
Did you try updating ? or try Listrid 2.0 ??it pretty good sound quality improves and it comes with a Pro EQ setting !

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #6,789 of 9,165
Quote:
Just recently got an AK100 and am experiencing a problem. Wanted to see if anybody else has experienced the same.

When I try to play back ALAC files, they always play back at 16 bit.
So, when playing a 24/192 ALAC file, the AK100 displays that it's playing a 16/192 file. 
I don't know if there is a sonic difference, but on these these files the track will sometimes start to skip, and then as soon as I touch anything on the player, the track starts playing normally again.

I've tested these files on my computer with audirvana plus and they playback without skipping at the proper bit depth. They also seem to playback fine when using the AK100 as a usb dac (I can't tell what bit depth the tracks are being played back at, but there is no skipping).
I am having no problems with my FLAC files, the issue is only with ALAC files.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

I experience the same problem with displaying bit-depth, but not the skipping problem. The provider of the downloaded ALAC-file (highresaudio.com) guarantees 24-bit-depth. However, my stock AK100 displays playing a 16/96 file. The problem does not change after converting the ALAC-file into FLAC.
Greetings
Hobbyte

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #6,790 of 9,165
sound like a problem with hardware the dac might be defective so it downscales the music to still "work" go get it repair or exchanged before its too late lol

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #6,791 of 9,165
Quote:
The provider of the downloaded ALAC-file (highresaudio.com) guarantees 24-bit-depth. However, my stock AK100 displays playing a 16/96 file. The problem does not change after converting the ALAC-file into FLAC.

Quote:
sound like a problem with hardware the dac might be defective so it downscales the music to still "work" go get it repair or exchanged before its too late lol

....or, your problem lies with the HRA.com files themselves. Hobbyte, can you check those files with another DAP to see if they are legit 24 bit?

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #6,792 of 9,165

Quote:
I experience the same problem with displaying bit-depth, but not the skipping problem. The provider of the downloaded ALAC-file (highresaudio.com) guarantees 24-bit-depth. However, my stock AK100 displays playing a 16/96 file. The problem does not change after converting the ALAC-file into FLAC.
Greetings
Hobbyte

Do the files also show up as 16 bit when playing elsewhere? Try playing them on a your computer and see what they come up as.
My ALAC files play as 24 bit everywhere else except on the AK where they play as 16 bit.
My files were originally downloaded from HDTracks as 24 bit flac, and when played on the AK as flac they show as 24 bit.
However, when i converted them to ALAC using MAX, they show up on the AK as 16 bit (played on my computer they are still 24 bit).

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #6,793 of 9,165
... unfortunately I don´t have another High-End DAP. And because I´m not shure about the bit-depth I didn´t download any other ALAC-files from HRA. Is there any freeware program running under OS X to measure the bit-depth of the original download? I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Hobbyte

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #6,794 of 9,165
Quote:

That's what I'm worried about.
But with FLAC files I'm having no problems, so I don't understand how the hardware only had problems with ALAC....

Does anyone have an ALAC file that they know plays as 24 bit on their AK?
Would they mind sending it to me so I can see how it plays on my AK?
Or could I send someone one of my problematic ALAC files to see how they play on their AK?
Please PM me if you can help.
Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6,795 of 9,165
Quote:
... unfortunately I don´t have another High-End DAP. And because I´m not shure about the bit-depth I didn´t download any other ALAC-files from HRA. Is there any freeware program running under OS X to measure the bit-depth of the original download? I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Hobbyte

If you import into itunes and look at media information it will tell you the bit depth.
Also, you can get a trial of audinirvana plus and see how the file plays on that, it will also give you the bit depth (this is what I did to test my files).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back