The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,839 of 9,165
I have to laugh at people who complain about iriver software and wish it would work better with itunes. That iriver software is absolutely worthless, but so is itunes. Would never re-install either ever again. It's like when I had my cowons and I tried out jetaudio, ha no thanks.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2,840 of 9,165
Quote:
I have to laugh at people who complain about iriver software and wish it would work better with itunes. That iriver software is absolutely worthless, but so is itunes. Would never re-install either ever again. It's like when I had my cowons and I tried out jetaudio, ha no thanks.

Well that's not the point though. What about Foobar, Media Monkey and Jriver? They all support playlists to my knowledge and I think iRiver should be supporting m3u files without issues. Seems most Korean players (even Cowon) has major issues with playlist support. I mean why is that so hard to get right? I find playlist to be very convenient. I started using them on my Sansa Fuze and even on my iphone4. Even the DX100 supports playlists (still not perfect though). I just like the organization it brings. The music shows up in the order you put it in. That's sweet. :)

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #2,845 of 9,165
Quote:

Can't take you seriously when you compare itunes with the iriver software.  You may not like itunes but it is at least servicibly functional.  I have my iPod wirelessly sync with itunes on my computer and I don't have to touch it ever again, and smart playlist actually works, computer magic literally just happens.  The iriver software does nothing of that sort. 

And yes, why doesn't the ak100 just mount as a drive with media monkey or Jriver which could sync to usb mass storage? 

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #2,846 of 9,165
I am sorry,  so far in itunes is doing better in doing syncs compared to near everything else i use just because its so easy to use,  is it a trend now where everything apple made will get bashed no matter if it does work properly

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #2,847 of 9,165
Quote:
I am sorry,  so far in itunes is doing better in doing syncs compared to near everything else i use just because its so easy to use,  is it a trend now where everything apple made will get bashed no matter if it does work properly

I love iTunes myself and have been using it all the while. It is neat and aesthetically pleasing to use. Its ability to integrate with audiophile playback software such as Audirvana+ and Amarra on my Mac is a huge plus. Using it with my iPad is a bliss as well.

While I don't understand the bashing of iTunes, the preference on softwares quoted as being 'much better' than iTunes are backward in my experience.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,848 of 9,165
I can piggy back anything using mediamonkey and itunes, people also seems to tout drag and drop as an advantage, i dont want to drag and drop 9gb of music to ensure i have everything i want on my dap

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,849 of 9,165
Quote:

I love iTunes myself and have been using it all the while. It is neat and aesthetically pleasing to use. Its ability to integrate with audiophile playback software such as Audirvana+ and Amarra on my Mac is a huge plus. Using it with my iPad is a bliss as well.

While I don't understand the bashing of iTunes, the preference on softwares quoted as being 'much better' than iTunes are backward in my experience.

What I find is that people usually bash iTunes because it won't let them do drag&drop and file explorer organisation, which is understandable but IMO if you have thousands of songs drag&drop is really not a good solution at all.  I've always maintained that a modern DAP should be meta-data driven (I mean really nearly all formats support some sort of tagging and I want to be able to use it for organisation, not just look at it!) but it looks like high-end DAPS usually don't do this which makes navigation and syncing incredibly frustrating.  I've also tried a lot of media software and iTunes is arguably quite competent in comparison to a lot of other alternatives.  The only other piece of software which measures up in useability and design is actually Microsoft's Zune software (which introduced wifi syncing first before iPod too). 

Other players like Media Monkey and JRiver aren't bad, but maybe a little TOO much tweaking so they get kind of cluttered.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #2,850 of 9,165
Quote:

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back