The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,821 of 9,165
Quote:
With the crumby software (bloatware more so) that iRiver provides. It's garbage & iRiver has no plans to make playlist properly work.....

If you're referring to that Plus4 program, I wouldn't call it bloatware since it's not directly installed to the AK100. It's simply another option (albeit not a very good one) to manage music.

Here's how to create playlists:
  1. Play the song you want to add to playlist
  2. Press the hexagon shaped button on the lower right hand corner
  3. Press the "+" tab
  4. Press the "+" button with the circle around it (should be the only available button if you haven't created a playlist before)
  5. The AK100 prompts you if you would like to create a new playlist. Select Y/N
  6. After selecting "Yes", you should see "Playlist 1" show up right above the "+" symbol with the circle
  7. Press the "Playlist 1" button
  8. Song should be added to playlist (named Playlist 1)
  9. Refer to files in playlist under the "Playlist" menu in the main music list menu

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2,822 of 9,165
Quote:
If you're referring to that Plus4 program, I wouldn't call it bloatware since it's not directly installed to the AK100. It's simply another option (albeit not a very good one) to manage music.

Here's how to create playlists:
  1. Play the song you want to add to playlist
  2. Press the hexagon shaped button on the lower right hand corner
  3. Press the "+" tab
  4. Press the "+" button with the circle around it (should be the only available button if you haven't created a playlist before)
  5. The AK100 prompts you if you would like to create a new playlist. Select Y/N
  6. After selecting "Yes", you should see "Playlist 1" show up right above the "+" symbol with the circle
  7. Press the "Playlist 1" button
  8. Song should be added to playlist (named Playlist 1)
  9. Refer to files in playlist under the "Playlist" menu in the main music list menu

That is not what I call a viable option to create multiple playlists. A viable option would be using m3u files and auto syncing them via a program such as media monkey or jriver. Pretty much the method provided does give you an option but a very poor and time consuming one.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,823 of 9,165
i'm not very particular on a playlist. i load all my collection to the ak100. listen to them in shuffle mode. when i encounter the songs i really like, i just add it to the playlist. then whenever i want to listen to all my favorite songs, i just play the playlist. i know its a primitive way but it works for me

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,824 of 9,165
Quote:
i'm not very particular on a playlist. i load all my collection to the ak100. listen to them in shuffle mode. when i encounter the songs i really like, i just add it to the playlist. then whenever i want to listen to all my favorite songs, i just play the playlist. i know its a primitive way but it works for me

I'm the opposite lol. I like to have my entire library organized via playlists and I chose the playlists that I feel like listening to at the time. I either listen to it in entirety or put it on shuffle.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,825 of 9,165
I never have used playlists. I consume so much music I usually just throw new stuff on there and listen to it then shuffle new stuff on every few weeks.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,826 of 9,165
Couldn't you also save a .pls file from your computer, upload it to the AK100, and should read the playlist from there (provided that you have the correct music tracks loaded on to the AK100)?

Also: has anyone tried the AK100 with Orthodyamic/Planar magnetic headphones? 

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,828 of 9,165
Quote:
Couldn't you also save a .pls file from your computer, upload it to the AK100, and should read the playlist from there (provided that you have the correct music tracks loaded on to the AK100)?

It's not nearly that simple how they have it set up on the AK100. At least from what I heard its not really even pls files?

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,829 of 9,165
Quote:

The problem is that the AK100 pls files list hard paths to the different memory card locations. so you can't export a playlist from, say, iTunes and have it work on the Ak100 unless you run a custom text replace script to add the hard coded paths to the songs on the internal memory to the songs in the list.

I think that would be doable with songs just on internal memory but when using SD cards... it seems like a nightmare.

... I've decided to keep the AK100 (it was up for sale for a while) I'm sending it to Vinnie at RWA for the RWAK100 mod. So it looks like I'll need to think about these playlist issues a bit more once I get it back. man, I hope I don't regret this, lol.

Maybe I need to fire up my PC (I'm typically on a Mac) and see if that iriver software can get my most used playlists set up.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2,830 of 9,165
Quote:

The problem is that the AK100 pls files list hard paths to the different memory card locations. so you can't export a playlist from, say, iTunes and have it work on the Ak100 unless you run a custom text replace script to add the hard coded paths to the songs on the internal memory to the songs in the list.

I think that would be doable with songs just on internal memory but when using SD cards... it seems like a nightmare.

... I've decided to keep the AK100 (it was up for sale for a while) I'm sending it to Vinnie at RWA for the RWAK100 mod. So it looks like I'll need to think about these playlist issues a bit more once I get it back. man, I hope I don't regret this, lol.

Maybe I need to fire up my PC (I'm typically on a Mac) and see if that iriver software can get my most used playlists set up.

lol good luck man. I don't think I've ever used a media player that is worse :p. I wanted to throw my PC out the windows trying to use that ****.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,832 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
lol good luck man. I don't think I've ever used a media player that is worse :p. I wanted to throw my PC out the windows trying to use that ****.

oh man. And I have such a low tolerance for bad software, too. this will be fun! 

ugh, the things I do for audio :p

iRiver seriously needs to hire better software developers if they're serious about competing w/ the likes of Apple.  Note I said "if."  I realize that may not actually be their target.  Also, given the OS X-related issues some of my fellow Apple users have been experiencing the past couple of years, maybe it's not a sufficiently difficult target to reach in any event.  =p

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,833 of 9,165
Quote:

Quote:
oh man. And I have such a low tolerance for bad software, too. this will be fun! 

ugh, the things I do for audio :p

Don't waste your time with the stupid software iRiver has.  

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,835 of 9,165
iRiver seriously needs to hire better software developers if they're serious about competing w/ the likes of Apple.  Note I said "if."  I realize that may not actually be their target.  Also, given the OS X-related issues some of my fellow Apple users have been experiencing the past couple of years, maybe it's not a sufficiently difficult target to reach in any event.  =p

i tried ak100 at my local shop.
the device hang twice throughout a 30 min listening. software quite unstable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back