The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #5,356 of 6,859
I have posted my impressions here before; but to repeat: if you didn't bought Hiby R3, go but Fiio M6; if you do this, you will mention me in your daily prayers. Android, CPU, offline Tidal, offline Spotify, offline Qobuz, offline this streaming service, offline that streaming service, TuneIn Radio... the number streaming music services that you can connect online is 6 times more than R3; the number music services that you can use offline is ... infinitely more times than R3, as R3 doesn't and will not have that capability.

As for daily usability: if you use Tidal, then you might quickly find yourself cursing to the point where you exhaust all of your vocabulary. Fiio M6; just Android, no such problems.

Fluidity : R3 is worser than M6 in that respect.

As for soud quality: usinf Sony MDR-V6 / Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm/1More Quad Drivers, B&O Beoplay H3, ZeroAudio Carbo Tenore, bundled Samsung headphones, Fiio BTR3 BT Adapter and Trond TX/RX BT Adapter... I have let 19 people test M6 and R3 for audio; 12 preferred M6 sound, 4 said they can't hear any difference, 3 said R3 was better. Personally I find R3 sound a bit warmer and like it more, but that's not enough to start it for listening music. In last 2 months, I have started it twice: one to update firmware to 3.0 ( which was pulled back ) and shut it down the moment I entered Tidal.

For most people, M6 beats R3 in every aspect.

And, you are no longer limited to these two alternatives anymore; for 200 USD price point, lots and lots of new products are entering the market; for example this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/acoustic-research-ar-m20-digital-audio-player/talk#discussions It has a 4 core Snapdragon 400 CPU as just an hardware example; R3 has a single core; M6 has a dual core CPU and so on.If you can wait for a few months more, I think there will be more products from which you can choose from.

All the best.

Can anyone share some input with regards to the Fiio M6 vs Hiby R3? i suppose R3 will have better sound and has balanced mode, but lags behind in battery life and display resolution. My doubt comes with regards to UI fluidity and general performance, cause I've heard complains about Fiio M6

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #5,357 of 6,859
Since upgrading firmware to 3.0 my R3 restarts on it's own when I click on one of my Tidal playlist. It worked fine with 2.01 and 2.1 firmware. Their was 105 songs in the playlist so I deleted some to get it to 99 songs but R3 still reboots when I try to use that playlist. Anybody else have this issue?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #5,359 of 6,859
Found the problem with 3.0 restarts when accessing tidal playlist, I had a couple video's in the playlist that once I removed them, no more restarts.
Thanks for the tip, it's been forwarded to developers :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #5,360 of 6,859
Hi,

After having unpredictable ' can't play imported offline music, errors with the Activo CT10, whilst using the Probuz app, I've decided to try and find a player that... ?well works as it should with the advertised service. Though maybe the HiBy is another player where the advertised apps don't function correctly?.

Any recommendations for a similar priced DAP where which runs the Probuz service correctly.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #5,361 of 6,859
Qobuz?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 14, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #5,363 of 6,859
I held off buying a R3 for several months, as I heard about the M6 and wanted to see what users thought about before making the decision on what DAP to buy. After reading all the comments in forums, and the reviews, I am still thinking that I'll get the most for my needs out of the R3 in that size and price range. I am interested in wired listening to music on the memory card - don't really care a lot about wireless apps, streaming, etc. I think I might at some point buy IEM's that would allow me to use the balanced output of the R3, but right now pure musicality is my focus.

I think the responsiveness of the R3, the equalizer options, and sound probably would satisfy me at this point in listening to my classical, jazz, blues, folk and art rock tunes. Any comments from R3 owners? I'd like to hear your opinions - do you think I'm making the right decision in going with the R3 at this point? Should I wait for more DAP options? Thanks for the help.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #5,365 of 6,859
I held off buying a R3 for several months...

I think the responsiveness of the R3, the equalizer options, and sound probably would satisfy me at this point in listening to my classical, jazz, blues, folk and art rock tunes. Any comments from R3 owners? I'd like to hear your opinions - do you think I'm making the right decision in going with the R3 at this point? Should I wait for more DAP options? Thanks for the help.

As long as wireless streaming is not high on your list i recommend it for all the reasons you give. If you need seamless wireless streaming of tidal or qobuz i would say go elsewhere.

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #5,366 of 6,859
As long as wireless streaming is not high on your list i recommend it for all the reasons you give. If you need seamless wireless streaming of tidal or qobuz i would say go elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #5,368 of 6,859
New firmware is up with MANY fixes! Downloading now...

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #5,370 of 6,859

Users who are viewing this thread

Back