The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 1, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #5,327 of 6,859
Anyone use airplay on the R3? Im interested if using airplay I can send music from my iTunes account on my iMac to the Hiby R3 using airplay so I don't have to actually put this music on the card?
Yes, you absolutely can. The R3 works well as an Airplay "target", I do it through my phone. It basically takes over the R3.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5,328 of 6,859
Apr 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #5,329 of 6,859
Anyone use airplay on the R3? Im interested if using airplay I can send music from my iTunes account on my iMac to the Hiby R3 using airplay so I don't have to actually put this music on the card?

Hi, Airplay on R3 works well. The methodology of Airplay is via Wifi network, so you must connect both R3 and MAC to the same network then enable Airplay mode in R3. After that, in the top of iTunes windows, near the play pause next buttons, you will see the AirPlay button to streaming on R3.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #5,330 of 6,859
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #5,332 of 6,859
Thank you. I could use that. How do I upgrade my firm ware? I cut on my WiFi and nothing happens other than the symbol changes color. Is there a better online owners manual?
Lastly can I use the USB-C to USB charging cable to get R3 to play using my car audio system?
You can either do an OTA update, or download the update file and put it on your SD card and run it that way. Look for the setting in the System menu.

It depends on your car, whether or not the USB-C cable works. It won't work in my car, it might in a newer car. You could always use a double-ended 1/4" cord if it doesn't (or bluetooth, if your car has it).

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #5,334 of 6,859
8. added a radio to the top bar and replaced the built-in chinese radio stations (40 stations now), others you can
persanally add to radio.txt file and put it in the root

I don't see anything in the top bar? I only see them in "custom radio" under playlists. I am excited to have my Radio Paradise on my R3.

And Favorited radio stations don't show up in the favorites list. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #5,335 of 6,859
I am sitting here trying to access my WiFi network so I can see if my new R3 needs a firmware update. I can cut my R3 Wifi on, but it does not display anything. Am I missing something????
By the way, the R3 sounds great right out of the box using Campfire Vegas. Crazy to use $1300 IEMs with a $200 DAP, but is great sound. If I get this figured out, I will try the BT in my car next. Unusual owners manual. No real instruction on how to operate features.

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #5,336 of 6,859
Never mind. I guess that's why there are few if any instructions. You just have to fool around with it a while and it will reveal all. Got WiFi to find my network and upgraded to firmware 3.0. I suppose if I F--K around with it some more I will discover how to connect to BT in my car. It won't be as easy as my Sony 300, but what did you want for $200. Now if I could just figure out if the R3 outputs digital files through its USB-C port to another DAC if you have a USB-C to coax cable.
UPDATE
Took me 2 minutes to find BT and pair with my BMW 340i. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #5,337 of 6,859
Crazy to use $1300 IEMs with a $200 DAP
I respectfully disagree. There is not always a clear correlation between price and audio quality, and specifically with DAPs - I personally feel that some $300-500 DAPs are not inferior to $1000+ DAPs. But that's me... :wink:

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #5,338 of 6,859
I respectfully disagree. There is not always a clear correlation between price and audio quality, and specifically with DAPs - I personally feel that some $300-500 DAPs are not inferior to $1000+ DAPs. But that's me... :wink:
Well, either way, It was a better sounding combo than I would have suspected. That was using an unbalanced connection. My balanced Silver Litz Campfire cable should arrive tomorrow. Add that to the Vegas and we will see.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #5,339 of 6,859
Firmware 3.0 (Custom with Qobuz and eBooks):

3.0 International ver. (from Kickstarter);
3.0 Chinese ver. (from JD and so on, rename the file to r3.upt before updating)

Changes regarding the stock version:
1. corrected translation (Russian and English),
2. replaced the font with a new one from XVortex,
3. customized both themes (some pictures, icons, their locations, etc. were replaced), increased font size in some places. Main screen in second theme is based on the Hexagon theme from Steven Van Geert (see FB HiBy thread),
4. repaired choosing colors sliders in the second theme,
5. added a stepcounter to the side menu,
6. added adb (Android Debug Bridge),
7. replaced the index page when connected to PC via Wi-Fi (now always in English), plus changed sort order (folders go first, then files, in order of names: at the beginning the numbers, then Latin, then Russian) and following file formats have been added: upt, txt, log, and t,
8. added a radio to the top bar and replaced the built-in chinese radio stations (40 stations now), others you can persanally add to radio.txt file and put it in the root of your sd card,
9. all binary files have been striped,
10. optimized all *png files,
11. removed unnecessary files and folders that are not used,
12. extended database limit to 65000.

Books should be saved in /book directory in the root of SD card in *.txt format only.

P.S. latest update 10.03.19

Snoopy112,

Thanks for the very nice 3.0 update. I appreciate all of the great work. Tidal works really well. Very snappy response!

I cannot get Qobuz to play any tracks. I can login to my Qobuz account and view and browse my albums. I get an HTTP error 400 when I try to play any track from Qobuz.

I have done a factory reset and reconnected my WiFi and signed back in to my Tidal and Qobuz accounts but still no luck.

Any other suggestions on getting Qobuz to play tracks? Anyone able to play tracks from their Qobuz account?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #5,340 of 6,859
new owner here :) I must admit that I was looking for such a dap the signature of the sound is very similar to wm1z and actually more than a week I only listen to this it's musical resolution, clean, fabulous :) 20190327_113019.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back