The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 17, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #5,387 of 6,859
Im trying to decide if I should buy the Hiby R3 or the Fiio M6 since as of today they are both almost the same price. Would love someone who owns both to chime in on which one would work better for regular(not balanced) wired connection of mostly music played from the card and not streaming services. Looking for the best possible sound quality. thanks

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #5,388 of 6,859
Im trying to decide if I should buy the Hiby R3 or the Fiio M6 since as of today they are both almost the same price. Would love someone who owns both to chime in on which one would work better for regular(not balanced) wired connection of mostly music played from the card and not streaming services. Looking for the best possible sound quality. thanks
I'm in the same boat as you, though the Hiby is £25 more expensive here in the UK (for what I can find).

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #5,389 of 6,859

Thanks for letting me know about the price dip - I've been checking regularly, but of course I haven't had access to my Amazon account for the last few days and could not check the price. If only Amazon would fix their problems with my account....

I'm not an expert on the R3 or the M6, but my conclusion after reading all of the relevant threads and reviews is to go with the R3. Like you, I'm interested mainly in wired listening from files on a card. I think the general sound quality and user interface, plus the easily-changed equalizer settings, would tip the scales for me for the R3. That's my impression, anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #5,391 of 6,859
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #5,392 of 6,859
Can you show the graph ? Any impedance swing or is it flat line ?

impedance curve.png

It would have been better if I had actual test resistors for use in the test. The test assumes that the single dynamic driver IEMs I put in parallel with the output give their nominal 16 ohms impedance throughout the frequency range. The dip at 3500Hz may be caused by a minor resonance impedance peak of the drivers at that frequency.

Attachments

• impedance curve.png
    impedance curve.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #5,396 of 6,859
What IEM do you use?
because I have doubts about output impedance of the R3 not being what Hiby stated but much higher. I asked many times the question, never answered... I was using Andromeda and the synergy was bad,kind of sound you have from high impedance device...

MEE Audio Pinnacle PX, Ostry kc09, Hifiman re00 and Grado iGe.

only grado sounds bearable, others gets even worse on balanced...very hot treble.

the genre i listen to doesn't help, i listed mainly to metal which most of them aren't mastered that well.

only good thing working properly is Bluetooth, but then again that depends on the earphones themselves.

i will give it another try when my tin hifi T3 arrives..although not expecting big difference.

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #5,397 of 6,859
MEE Audio Pinnacle PX, Ostry kc09, Hifiman re00 and Grado iGe.

only grado sounds bearable, others gets even worse on balanced...very hot treble.

the genre i listen to doesn't help, i listed mainly to metal which most of them aren't mastered that well.

only good thing working properly is Bluetooth, but then again that depends on the earphones themselves.

i will give it another try when my tin hifi T3 arrives..although not expecting big difference.

Try the MSEB (MageSound 8-ball)...?

There really shouldn't be much in the way of hardware quirks on the R3 that are driving your earphones much brighter than "normal".

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #5,398 of 6,859
Firmware 3.1 Custom

3.1 International ver. (from Kickstarter);
3.1 Chinese ver. (from JD and so on, rename the file to r3.upt before updating)

1. corrected translation (Russian and English),
2. replaced the font with a new one by XVortex,
3. customized both themes (some pictures, icons, their locations, etc. were replaced), increased font size in some places. Main screen in second theme is based on the Hexagon theme by Steven Van Geert (see FB HiBy thread),
4. repaired choosing colors sliders in the second theme,
5. added adb (Android Debug Bridge),
6. replaced the index page when connected to PC via Wi-Fi (now always in English), changed sort order (folders go first, then files, in order of names: at the beginning the numbers, then Latin, then Russian) and following file formats have been added: upt, txt, log, and t,
7. added a radio to the top bar and replaced the built-in chinese radio stations (40 stations now), others you can persanally add to radio.txt file and put it in the root of your sd card,
8. all binary files have been striped,
9. optimized all *png files,
10. removed unnecessary files and folders that are not used,
11. extended database limit to 65000 tracks,
12. automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks,
13. added automatically start playback after player is turning on (you should add in the root of sd card file key_settings.conf with "autoplay=1" line).

Last update: 22.05.2019

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back