The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 16, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #361 of 2,052
I have been listening to my new Aeon 2's for exactly 4 hours. I'm no good at describing impressions (But I'll have a go) and it is too early to really tell but I wanted to share what I found so far.

First off I really like them. A worthy replacement for my old beet up PM3's.

Tonality
ELO Eval Woman 20 seconds in Drums Really sound like drums are right in front of me and live.
Peaches En Regalia (Zappa) Damn the detail just blows me away. Hotell calafornia... they do this so effortlessly.

Detail retrieval
Pink Floyd on the run, the woman announcing flights, you can hear every word.
ELO Diary of Horace the wimp, the intro everything is separate and the detail is phenomenal.
Diana Crull Sway, you can hear her breathing !

Base Control
Billy Elish, Bad guy, doesn't bleed at all not Evan a little. Angel (Masisive Attack) Exstention is so well controlled. Seven Nation Army (The whit Stripes) is so controlled and the base exstention is something to hear for me.

Sound stage
I can hear the room, Now I get it!, not imaging but space. Peaches En Regalia (Zapper). How did Dan do that with closed backs?

Aqualong (Jethro Tull) I think this can be important when a lot is going on that they keep up (speed I supose), Thats why I tend towards Planars.

Pairing
So far I have had them them on the Questyle CMA400I, the Chord Polly/mojo, MK70mk2, Shanling m0 and the Dragon fly red. All of which drive them confidently(the M0 only just at 95% vol on high gain). The Ibasso DX220 with stock amp (DX201mk2) sounds amazing, the AMP9 (DX209) not so good. It doesn't have the power. Looking forward to a balanced cable to try the AMP8EX.

So far loving them and I know they will only get better. Not loving the standard cable just from an aesthetic perspective. Feels flimsy and too light, has no weight. I have ordered all the bits to make a couple of balanced cables though, so no big deal.

That’s it, quick first hours (knee jerk) impressions. Sorry Im not better at this. And all this without any burn in.

Dan, thank you, brilliant job, bet they outsell anything you have done so far with these.

Which Aeon 2? I assume the closed one.
What about the female vocal performance of the headphone? I personally prioritize it over the bass.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #363 of 2,052
Is this headphone (the closed version) better than the Focal Stellia?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #364 of 2,052
Which Aeon 2? I assume the closed one.
What about the female vocal performance of the headphone? I personally prioritize it over the bass.

Yes I am the same. I have been listening to Beth Hart, Dianna Krall and a bit of Annie Lennox, got to say you get the detail and the feeling with female vocalists. Only a few of my headphones give you the breathing and lip sounds, all that stuff that normal seems to get lost.

These cans are raw and not burnt in yet so I expect it will just get better. They are the closed ones BTW.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #366 of 2,052
Is this headphone better than the Focal Stellia?

Better is such a subjective thing. But IMHO Yes.

So I spent 20 mins with the the Stelia recently, I have to say I rate the tonal quality of these higher (pre burnin) and the sound stage for closed just seems so much better. But just My humble opinion, I dident like the Stelia much, I was driving them from a mojo which has power but they just sounded a little tame / flat for me. no fun factor if that makes seance.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #369 of 2,052
I really like my Sony Z1R but I feel as years go by I won’t get good support if something goes wrong with them. I always respected Dan’s company and I am confident I will get support. And so far thanks everybody for the impressions I think the tonality of the A2c is to my liking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back