1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 1, 2019.
First

Back
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Next

Last
  1. Kopf
    Matt TCG did not describe the bass of the A2C as natural and accurate but compared to the A2O it seems that the bass of the A2O is tighter but not as "visceral". Maybe the A2C has a more pronounced midbass which is generally not uncommon for closed headphones compared to open ones.
    On the contrary, the A2O has apparently a better tonal balance and sounds a bit more natural.

trellus likes this.
  2. tcellguy
    This sounds very impressive. I'm curious about Ether 2 vs. AFO2. I'm looking forward to comparing at CanJam NYC this year.

How does the treble compare between Ether 2 and AFO2? I recall Ether 2 as having a bit relaxed / veiled treble based on a short audition last year.

3. MaxD
    I have been playing with my new Aeon 2's on various amps with the single ended cable while I wait for bits to arrive to make my balanced cables.

The Mojo and my Ibasso DX220 drive them realy well, but I have noticed on my Questile CMA400i on single ended out is not so good, I don’t usually use it in favour of the more powerful balanced out.

I would love to hear what Amps people are pairing with these.

I have just reached 50 hours of burn in and they are getting better and better.

havagr8da likes this.
  4. RealestLad
    Can you compare the A2O to the Ether 2?

Hifiearspeakers likes this.
  5. MattTCG
    Sure thing. As well as A20 is able to do transparency and tone, ETHER 2 takes it to the next level. Sub bass with e2 goes deeper and is ruler flat down to about 20 hrz. ETHER 2 has the ability to render those deep base notes with more authority and physicality. This is likely to to the larger surface area of the driver and magnet array...possibly.

There is a similarity between the two headphones, but they are uniquely different. Vocals infection and tone with e2 is eerily accurate and natural. I still catch myself looking over my shoulder to see if someone is behind me when listening to live music with e2. Both are very good headphones, but for me ETHER 2 is my end game. It is my favorite headphone of all time.

trellus, Odin412 and tcellguy like this.
  6. Benno1988
    Is the Aeon 2 closed a bit more lively/less boring than the original Aeon?

I liked the Aeon Closed, but was a bit dull sometimes. Nice time though. Aeon 2 compared?

7. FullBright1
    We have a winner....:). ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. jason.voegele
    My original case was also missing the cable pouch, so I contacted DCA through the web site and they promptly sent me a replacement case that included the cable pouch. Great customer service in addition to great headphones!

9. VandyMan
    Interesting. Helpful to get a better understanding of your taste. I've been curious since you said that A2C is the best closed headphone. I have the Ether 2 and really like it, but favorite of all time? Not even in the top five for me unless you factor in value. For the price, I agree it is the best ToTL headphone right now.

10. MattTCG
    So, what's your top five?

Empyah likes this.
  11. havagr8da
    Aeon 2 C
    Chord MOJO for me is working best as Portable* se cable provided, as for others in the not so well category - Fiio Q5 AM3A weak - Fiio X5III weak - WA11 Topaz Enjoyable - Kann Cube works but seems to be really bass light no slam and just off can't figure out why.
    Very much hoping a balanced cable makes these a real portable solution. The SE cable I would never use portable and as to it fitting into the case NO unless you want to scratch up your headphones or get the samsonite gorilla to close the case.

Jotunheim - RME ADI 2 - THX AAA 789 All fantastic and all not portable.

Edit 11/21/19 XD05 Plus a good portable driver for the Aeon 2 C
    11/25/19 iPad Pro - Woo Audio WA 11 topaz - Corpse Cable balanced - Aeon2 c - Fantastic!
    12/03/2019 Fiio X7 - AM5 - Pretty Good

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  12. VandyMan
    I don't want to get too off topic, but since you asked... I love (and own) the LCD-4 and the STAX 009. I've also been very impressed by the Abyss TC, Susvara, and STAX 009S. I'm thinking of getting one of them next. I have not heard anything from ZMF, HEDDphone, or the SRH1A, but they all seem like contenders. Focal is up there too. There are a heck of a lot of excellent ToTL headphones these days, so calling the Ether 2 the best for the money is not faint praise.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. MattTCG
    I don't think that we're on the same page. I was called the Aeon 2 closed, the best closed headphone I've heard or owned. And I also said ETHER 2 is my favorite headphone period. But I was asking you for your top five closed. Again, I don't think we're on the same page.

For the record, I like the Empyrean but it's overly rich after a while. Similar to the ETHER 2 with a loudness button engaged. I haven't heard the sr1a at all sadly. None of the Focal headphones do much for me. Also never heard the Abyss, but the Diana v2 looks to have promise.

Empyah likes this.
  14. VandyMan
    Oh, you wanted my top five closed? I'm not sure I've even heard five ToTL closed back headphones. :) I use the Aeon 1 C at work (I like it a lot) and I use the Ether Flow 1.1 C at home, and enjoy that too. I'm actually hunting for something better. The A2C seems like a possibility. I'm looking forward to hearing it at NYC CanJam along with the new ZMF Verite Closed and the Focal Stellia.

I'm also not a fan of the Empyrean. Too smooth in the top end (is that the same as too rich?) for my taste. I like the Focal Clear, but I'd rate it below the Ether 2. The Focal Utopia did not do much for me either, too bright. I was never really taken with the Abyss 1266, until I heard the new TC version. It is really special, but comfort and fit remain an issue.

I agree that we are not on the same page. There seems to be some overlap in our tastes, but also important differences. That is why I was saying I was glad to get a bigger picture of your taste in headphones.

trellus likes this.
  15. MrCypruz
    I'm not sure if this comment is going to add any value but my tastes are more in line with yours, I love (and own) Stax 009S, SR1a (in line with Stax's transparency but more like speakers impact, soundstage and overall sound presentation), Utopia and I've enjoyed LCD4 (I don't own this). I sold my Empyrean because I didn't like it much for the same reasons as yours. Based on these, I'm happy (and somewhat confident) to recommend you the A2c if you're looking for a great closed back headphones. I’ve also owned the Ether Flow C 1.1 and I like the A2c better. I've ordered a verite closed to compare both and decide if I pick one or the other or if I keep both.

Note that the A2c scale very well with better amplification and even though it’s being marketed as a "portable" option, it really shines with proper desktop type amplification.

VandyMan likes this.
First

Back
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Next

Last